iWork's Keynote and MS Powerpoint, Can they go together well?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MiniMan., Mar 18, 2007.

1. MiniMan. macrumors regular

Hi basically ,

i have keynote form iwork 06 and i wanted to know,

If i make an amazing presentation can it go into powerpoint looking just as good. I need to know this cas if i want to print im not plugged into a printer so it has to go on friends machine then printed off. But his computer is windows.

:apple:
    Thanks for any help
    Z

2. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Hi,
    afaik there's no way to import iWork (Keynote) presentations into Powerpoint.
    However, you can generate a PDF file (using Print->Export to PDF), which can be opened on any Windows or Linux computer (using Acrobat Reader). The Animations will be lost, though, but since it seems that you want to print the presentation anyway, this shouldn't be a problem.

Btw., I've never tried it, but isn't it possible to share printers between Windows and Mac? If you're in the same network, your friend could try to grant you access to his printer.

3. MiniMan. thread starter macrumors regular

Yer we have tried setting up the printer on network but hasnt worked! But thanks for help ill try the pdf thing!

Thanks

4. Moonjump macrumors newbie

But you can export from Keynote to Powerpoint (File / Export). The PDF would probably be better if you only want to print it off, but if you want to do the presentation it will need to be Powerpoint. I've never tried it, but I was told some effects will be lost in the transfer to Powerpoint.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

For one thing, Keynote has many effects and transitions that PowerPoint does not, so these will be lost if you export a Keynote presentation to PowerPoint. For another, you will lose the nice anti-aliasing effects you get with Keynote and Quartz. For simply printing slides, pdf is the way to go. For keeping transitions and effects intact, exporting to a QuickTime movie is a good option.