J.J. Abrams to revive Star Trek franchise

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by DISCOMUNICATION, Apr 21, 2006.

1. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

2. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

As a long time Trek fan (check out my writing credits) but color me very suspicious.

My belief is that Trek has to move forward -- not backwards -- to reinvent itself for a new group of viewers.

Although I will say covering the "movie era" between ST:VI and ST:TNG would be pretty sweet. :)

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I'm a young guy. If it doesn't have Picard in it, you can count me out.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

"Star Trek XII: So Very Tired." An aging Captain Kirk remarks, "Had trouble sleeping last night; my hiatal hernia is acting up. The ship is drafty and damp. I complain, but nobody listens." In engineering, Scotty has become so portly he cannot "give 'er full power". From, The Simpsons

Hopefully they do a good job.

I loved
    Star Trek I to VI, VIII
    Original Star Trek
    TNG
    Enterprise (bring it back pleasej)

I hated
    Star Trek VII, IX and X (did not feel like Star Trek, and very very poor writing)
    Voyager
    Animated Series

I sort of liked DS9 but it got very dumb.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This is a great idea as long as they can get a someone Kirk like. Phasers on stunn lets go in, ill get the babe later;) Wish they would have done this a long time ago. Getting a actor to make us think Kirk will be the hard part. Id much rather have Kirk in my corner then some baldy

6. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Hmm... it's an odd numbered Trek movie, which doesn't bode too well. Mind, given that it's a prequel who knows?

If they can capture some of the spirit of the original series, maybe it'll work. But like Abulia I won't go holding my breath too much.

7. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

i've never been a big fan of prequels. Enterprise had its moments, but it's done now. There is nothing i want more then for Star Trek to return, but not another prequel. I may be in the minority, but I loved nemesis, and I think it did a great job of bringing closure to the TNG timeline setting them up for a new series or movie in a future timeline.

but i'm sure that will never happen... :cool:

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Kirk made the show with help from spock, the original was a action series until its 3rd season, next generation was a cerebral swim. Give me a young Kirk anyday. Chasing aliens & poontang it dont get no better.:cool:

9. portent macrumors 6502a

Trek is great, don't get me wrong. But it doesn't need to be milked--er, "revived." The franchise needs to be allowed to rest until someone can come up with new ideas, rather than just drumming up some new super-powerful alien species to threaten Earth/The Federation/Some defenseless planet.

I think a decade, with reruns in syndication, should do it.

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Young Kirk did all kinds of things before captain of the Enterprise. It is written.:D

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Oh dear. That's not exactly a credential to be proud of. :(

12. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

I second that. TNG was such a constant for me growing up, and as a high school student it was as close as I got to philosophy.

But the original Trek -- with the micro-skirts and the machismo and the low-tech pizza monsters ... god. It bored me to death.

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Guess you missed the first and second season, Balance of Terror.Please.

14. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    fwiw, jj abrams wrote the screenplay to "regarding henry" when he was 23.

the guys got serious writing chops...

if anyone can pull it off, it'd be him.

15. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I couldn't agree more! Look what happened with Enterprise, every time I watched it I wanted to throw up. They need a new series that goes further into the future.

I was never a big fan of the original series either, so I don't really think I'd like anything with a young Kirk.

I think a Deep Space Nine movie could be possible. Even though it ended, there's still the possibility of all of the characters coming back for some reason. Voyager on the other hand would be difficult to make a film out of because that well and truly concluded.

16. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

You're right. TNG didn't start out great. But wouldn't you agree it grew into itself, and its "investigations," pretty well?

It sure seemed so when I was 15.

17. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Yeah I agree, but then towards the end I think it got a bit boring to be honest. I still like DS9 the best, I though it was consistently good even though I didn't like Captain Sisko (Avery Brooks).

18. watcher2001 macrumors 6502a

watcher2001

All I can say is thank the gods that Rick Vermin, uh Berman is not involved with this project. I blame him and "Enterprise" for the near death of the franchise.

Me personally, I would love to see a DS9 movie but that is going to have to wait yet another 2-5 years if it ever happens at all. Given the fact that they have announced it will be Kirk and Spock pre-TOS I hope they go long on story and try not to make it an effects ridden monstrosity. They have already shown they can use current day effects to make TOS ships look cool and if they play that low key and focus on what makes Kirk tick I think it could be really cool. Or it could really suck.. All I know is that I will go see it.

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Does this mean that the "next generation" of kids and upcoming comedians still have an easy target --- Trekkies --- to pick on?

20. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

No more kirk..the tail chasing was cool but give me a young picard anyday chasing tail.

Bless

21. Timepass macrumors 65816

You right most of them didnt start out great.

I been looking back though all the Star trek sierse. TNG, TOS, DS9, Voyager, and enterprise and I have noticed one very clear pattern. the first 2 seasons where pretty rocky at best. It always seemed to me that season 3 was the turning point in all of them and when they kicked off and started to get good.

In DS9 it was when Sisko started to be more of a war comander and things starting working right (it was also when they got the defient). Enterpise it was the entier Zendy thing. Yeah not the best but it seem to give the show direction and got everything moving. I like how it worked out and everything seem to be good with it. Voyager turning point was season 3. It where they got away from all the Kazon crap. TNG it just seem to start fiting together at that point in time. same wiht TOS.

Then season 4 is gerenal where things got really good and the shows seem to define them selves. I dont like how enterpise was ended in season 4 because it seemed like everything had finally come together and it just was working.

Season 1 where normally pretty poor as it is when buggeting is a limiting factor and no one has the directions down yet The actors are learning there spots and there roles and understand there chars. Season 2 buggeting is less of a problem since a lot of the big items are built. The writers now are having a chance to figure out directions and see what the actors made the chars to be and then working from there to give the show directiong and then you get to season 3 where things just start working.

22. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

I'll agree with you for all of the spin-offs, but TOS? Season Three was garbage for the most part in TOS...."Spock's Brain" anyone?

And I have to give DS9 a "gimme" for its first two seasons, since most of the best writers were still working on TNG at that point. I've gained a new appreciation for DS9 recently (thank you Netflix). I think it was the best of all of the series as far as the continuous story thread that ran through the entire show. There was an episode way back in season one or early season two that mentioned the Dominion in passing...something I hadn't noticed before (because you have no idea who they are at that point).

I just wish something more had been done with Enterprise. There was so much potential in exploring that part of the Star Trek timeline, and the writers (mostly those idiots Berman and Braga) spent most of the time contradicting what had been previously established.

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

We can only hope.

24. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Give me a decent show without any time travel!!!

That annoyed the hell out of me. Its been done to...death! Almost as bad as Dallas, when JR got shot, it was all a dream. Talk about a copout!