J.K. Rowling to Kill Off Another Character

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MacNut, Oct 9, 2004.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

J.K. Rowling to Kill Off Another Character
    By Yolie Prebble, People

"Harry Potter" author J.K. Rowling is dealing a death blow to one of the characters in her next installment of the blockbuster series about the teen wizard, she admits.

Responding to a question posed by a fan on her official Web site -- "Are you going to kill off any more characters?" - Rowling, 39, offered a succinct reply: "Yes. Sorry."

The sixth book about the amazing Harry, to be called "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," will be published next year, leaving fans with an agonizing wait before learning which character meets his or her doom.

However, readers can be assured that it will not be Harry. While answering questions at the Edinburgh Book Festival in August, Rowling told fans her hero "will survive to book seven."

Not that he's immortal. Tantalizingly holding out the prospect of Harry's end someday, Rowling said: "I am not going to say whether he grows any older than that."

The mega-successful writer, whose net worth is said to exceed that of Queen Elizabeth's, is increasingly using her JKRowling Web site as her direct communication with fans. In her own words, she said it is "where I can give hints and clues as to what's going to happen to Harry Potter next."

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I wish an atomic bomb went off in the book and wipes out everyone.

3. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Or maybe 2 h bombs

4. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

hey, i really like the harry potter books! somehow i bet it's going to be dumbledore.. it can't be voldemort because that would make book 7 a worthless piece of sh*t, it can't be harry 0bviously, it's prolly not ron or hermoine all though you never know...dumbledore just seems more likely because that would add even more revenge element to his fight against voldemort

5. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Was there really a point in hijacking this thread with comments like that right off the bat? Come on guys, if you don't care, don't bother commenting.

I thought Harry Potter was stupid until I read it, now I'm a huge fan. And I kinda think it will be Dumbledore too, but I don't know if Harry has learned enough from him for him to die. Maybe by the end of the book? Hard to say.

Too bad we have to wait so long to get the book in our hands!

6. acceber macrumors regular

I also enjoy the Harry Potter books. The first and third ones are my favourites.

I reckon she'll kill off somebody really random, like, Professor McGonagall or Hagrid or the Weasley dad in some freak show down between the "good" and the "evil"... :p

7. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

yeah, im thinking voldemort will kill him by the end of the book in the way he killed sirius. or perhaps harry will accidentally kill him with a mis-aimed spell and become depressed and get into slipknot, wear bondage pants and practice self-mutilation, then drop out of hogwarts to sell drugs and end up in a pool of his own blood because he got into a gang's drug territory. ignore the last comment; i was just at a musical we're performing at my high school and the orchestra was supposed to wear a jacket and tie and our guitar player showed up in bondage pants and a slipknow t-shirt...

8. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    I have read the books, and i dont particularly like them; and im not particularly saddened by the death of characters, i mean if it moves the plot forward great

9. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

Even before I read this, I was thinking that Dumbledore would probably die at the end of book 6.
    Obviously, he has to die if Harry's going to kill Voldemort himself, and if he dies at the end of the next book he'll still have time to impart some more knowledge on Harry.

Anyway, it's interesting to see her confirm it, though. Her website is actually really interesting to just poke around (and it's well designed). It's nice to see her keep fans interested during the long wait between books.

10. kaylie_kipe macrumors member

My little step brother will be sad to hear that someones going to die in the next book. I've never read the books but he's a big fan. Once his whole class wrote letters to J.K. Rowling and everyone got back a form letter except for him. It's now hanging in a frame on his bedroom wall.

11. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I can see it now...

"Dobby" said Harry in a concerned tone, "What are you doing with that minigun?"

Dobby twitched slightly, there was a stunned silence in the great hall at Hogwarts.

"Dobby, put the gun down" scolded Hermione "It's far too big for you anyway"

"F*ck you" said Dobby, conversationally "I always hated this b*st*rd place..."

Harry and all his friends fell bleeding under the thunder of the little Elf's big gun.

12. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

I've read all of the books so far and seen the movies too, it doesn't suprise me that she'd kill off another character. The only thing I don't like is the weird sexual tension that's in the movies, it's in the books too, but it's just kind of overdone in the films I think. I'm wondering how the next movie is going to go, considering they're going to have to take so much out since the book is so much longer than the others.

13. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I don't know, it seems such an obvious conclusion, Dumbledore dying. Rowling might want to try to avoid that and actually keep him alive, but make it so he's unable to help Harry when he confronts Voldemort.

But if Dumbledore does die, I'm convinced he'll die sacrificing himself for Harry.

If there ever is a Book Eight, the entire book will be Harry getting therapy. :rolleyes:

14. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

:D Voldemort says "Your powers are weak old man." Dumbledore says "You can't win Voldemort, if you strike me down I shall become more powerful than you can ever imagine." Voldemort kills Dumbledore, Harry screams "NOO!" from far away, and suddenly we hear Dumbledore's voice saying "Run Harry Run!"

15. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

that sounds oddly familiar ;)

Its truly amazing how much this has affected society in the past couple years or so....good for her to get more kids interested in reading - I just hope she does something better with all the money she's made :D

And what's the plan after the seventh book?

D

16. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

cheekyspanky

I was never a fan of the books either, until someone gave me a book token and I got the 4th book (because it was the thickest and obviously the best value for my book token :rolleyes: ). After reading that one I saw the first 2 films, read the 5th book and then saw the 3rd film. It might not have been the best way to go about it but it's done the trick!

The crazy thing is, J.K Rowling used to go to my old school, and when the first book was released the headteacher mentioned it in assembly...and I didnt go out and buy one...I would've had a first edition worth loads! :(

17. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

From what I understand, Rowling has given large amounts of money to pro-literacy foundations and local schools/libraries...etc...

So I think she is doing good things with her money, which is good. It's great to give back to those who've helped you become so successful.

As far as what's beyond Book Seven, nothing is planned. Rowling has said she wasn't planning on writing any more books after Harry is done with Hogwarts, but has also said "I won't make any promises because I always break them".

So who knows...

Even though I will hate to see the series end, it has to end sometime or it will just become tiresome. Rowling will eventually tire of writing about Harry and the story will suffer from that. There will be a conclusion at the end of Book Seven and I think that would be a great place to end it.

18. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

My money is on Dumbledore dying, just for dramatic purposes alone. The way stories are written the protaganist must fail over and over before succeeding (or in this case, the situation must keep getting worse: higher stakes). When Dumbledore is killed, the whole magic world would be like, "Oh, man! I thought Voldemort couldn't beat him, but he did. Potter doesn't stand a chance."

As for the seventh book, I'm guessing that the five key good guys call upon Captain Planet. :p

19. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

while normally i'm the first one to be personally offended by a broad social trend, Harry Potter has been, and continues to be, a great way to reestablish reading in children. After decades of dumbing-down by use of pictures, oversimplifications, and most recently technology, it's tremendously heartening to see kids as young as 5 and 6 taking an interest in old fashioned books. I applaud Rowling for that.

Besides that, she did it with such imagination that she has created an utterly charming world with her works. I think it's interesting that she's exploring the mortality of her characters, which is often avoided even in adult books.

But I haven't read the books myself, so i only know the movies :) wonder how many more they'll make.

paul

20. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I put my money on Snape being killed off.
    Plot: Harry and Snape are skulking around somewhere, Snape being his usually snotty self. Unbeknownst to either of them, Voldemort is lurking around, listening. Voldemort then pops out and confronts them. The three of them battle, and Voldemort takes out Snape. Potter manages to do his mystical thing and scare Voldemort off. Potter then realizes Snape really is a good guy, since Snape "took the bullet" meant for him.

21. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

My favoUrite coloUr us blue.

22. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My wife is a big fan of "Harry Potter." She has read all 5 books so far. Dumbledore is her thought also, unless it would be one of his friends which isn't likely. My wife also prefers to purchase the books from amazon.con.uk, she thinks the native tongue version is much better. She also said that JK Rowlling has said book seven will be the end.

23. mvc macrumors 6502a

mvc

Surely not.

Are you serious, is the U.S version different to the U.K version? Tell me its not true. :(

24. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

I know there were some pretty odd differences back in book one (like the title: "Philospher's Stone" vs. "Scorcerer's Stone").
    In the UK Version Harry wins Hedwig (his snowy owl) in a contest, instead of receiving her as a birthday gift from Hagrid.