Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
J-Mac's meaningful message for autism
By Wayne Drehs
ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2352763

It took four minutes. Four measly minutes for high school senior Jason McElwain to morph from a relatively unknown student manager of the Greece Athena basketball team into a nationwide inspiration.

In those 240 seconds, the 5-foot-6 kid with autism, in his first-ever appearance in a high school game, scored 20 points and tied a school record with six 3-pointers.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
It's quite inspirational to watch, especially because of all the fans rooting for him.

If he's that good a shot, why didn't J-Mac make the varsity team?

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
Doctor Q said:
It's quite inspirational to watch ...

I saw that featured on CBS News when Steve Hartman aired it as one of his features. It was a frenzied reaction as the crowd in the gym erupted each time Jason hit a three pointer. The last update was a comment from his mother saying that the family is reviewing 25 offers for a film to be made.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Doctor Q said:
If he's that good a shot, why didn't J-Mac make the varsity team?

Because they didn't give him a chance before. Maybe they pulled a "Rudy" and just let him play for once, which is great, but it may have been good for everyone involved if he just played as a regular member of the team, though. :confused:

Unorthodox

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2006
Not at the beach...
Michel Jordan didn't make the cut for his schools basketball team.
Gee Golly! Nobody made a big deal when I was raining down treys. Back in my glory days....

MacsomJRR

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2003
San Diego
This all reminds me of Temple Grandin. The autistic woman who deals with the animal industries. It's a great story, good for that kid! I'll be first in line to watch this once it's released.:D

EDIT: I had read the story but hadn't seen the video yet, incredible. Almost brought ME to tears:)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
This was a really nice story. I'm going to share it with the psychiatric disorders class I teach to undergrads. Thanks for sharing it! :)

I hope he gets lots more opportunities to enjoy basketball. :) He deserves them.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
It was a nice story to see. All too often over the years, when I talk about the kids I work with who have autism, people assume they cannot do anything by themselves and are all the same. Though some are that low-functioning there are a lot of people with autism who can and do live "normal" lives. Hopefully this story will help to ease some of the misconceptions out there.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Lacreo said:
What movie studio do you think already has the right to his story?

I remember reading in another article that 20 studios had approached the family about acquiring the rights.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
That's pretty amazing, to say the very least.

Although, I am a little sad they never gave him a shot ealier. As good a story as it is, it's too bad they waited for the last game of his senior year to let him on the court.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Deepdale said:
The last update was a comment from his mother saying that the family is reviewing 25 offers for a film to be made.
Which means J-Mac's goal to be "just like everyone else" is even less likely now.

maestro55

macrumors 68030
Nov 13, 2005
Goat Farm in Meridian, TX
Would it not be possible for some NBA team to pick him up? I don't know the rules work with the NBA, so I am not sure if that is possible; however, if it is the boys desire to play basketball, he has the skill (or so it appears) to play with the professionals.

Unorthodox

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2006
Not at the beach...
maestro55 said:
Would it not be possible for some NBA team to pick him up? I don't know the rules work with the NBA, so I am not sure if that is possible; however, if it is the boys desire to play basketball, he has the skill (or so it appears) to play with the professionals.
AH HA HA H*SNORT*A HA HAaaaaa.......*sniff*
You know nothing about basketball.
Sorry, buy, you can't just jump to the NBA.

His chances of making it to the NBA are very slim. Zero, some would say.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
maestro55 said:

Um, no. The kid is 5'6" with very few skills. Yes, he can shoot it against high school kids who aren't defending him very well, but he'd be destroyed by people with real size and ability. So would I...nothing against him.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
Lacreo said:
AH HA HA H*SNORT*A HA HAaaaaa.......*sniff*
You know nothing about basketball.
Sorry, buy, you can't just jump to the NBA.

His chances of making it to the NBA a very slim. Zero, some would say.

Well, technically you can "just jump" to the NBA (Lebron James, for example).

The only thing that would stop him is, even though he had an awesome 4 minutes, who knows how consistent he is. Also, more than just scoring is important for NBA players. There are too many variables.

Unorthodox

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2006
Not at the beach...
Josh said:
Well, technically you can "just jump" to the NBA (Lebron James, for example)
Technically? I am on a philosophy board, right?

Lebron James and Kobe Bryant are very rare players. This kid in NO Lebron or Kobe.

But you are correct.... It is technically possible.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
actually with the new CBA, you have to be 19 before you can enter the league. So no more Kobe's KG's or LeBron's.

Good story though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.