Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ViPa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
For a 12 hour period starting at 11:59pm US Eastern Daylight Time (UTC/GMT-4) on Thursday, September 18th, 2008, Jaadu VNC v1.2 will be available for $5 in the US

WOOOHOOO..even though i dont know what im gonna do with it

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
I have heard great things about this program, but I wasn't going to spend $25 for it. At $5 I'm definitely going to get it. Thanks so much for the heads up.

phantomsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2006
San Diego, CA
OK so I was just looking at this on the App Store and telling myself not to get it because of the price. I go and search for possible alternatives and the first result that came up pointed me to this topic. Awesome!

Definitely getting this.

megatronbomb

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Portland, OR
I'm curious though about the reviews that point out the security flaws with this app and those like it. Does that not concern folks?

Not trying to be a troublemaker, I've just never had a need for this type of app and was looking at it just because it was going to be on sale.

iSaga

macrumors regular
May 25, 2008
What is different about this version compared to the lite version that was 4.99 to begin with?

stiphone

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
Yeah. I'm glad i held out till now. $25 is a really steep price to pay. Now i can control and surf on my G4 Cube that is connected to my HDTV. Yippeee..

atiffarooq

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2006
I assume this offer won't be available in the UK at any point?

Yeah thats a major bummer. I just checked and it's still £14.99. I got really excited because I really want this app but I'm not paying that much for it. The UK equivalent to $5 would have been awesome.

Come on developers, give us Brits a discount too :(.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Get it.

It's worth six TIMES that. Which is why I'm glad I only paid five times that :)

rendez2k

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
I was originally going to purchase it, but I don't see why I should pay more now just because I live in the UK! Can I fool iTunes into thinking I live in the US :D

pyrodex

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Atlanta, GA
LOL I've subscribed to this thread so if anyone sees the price at 5$ before I do I'll know to grab it. Good find, yea 25$ is too much for VNC for the iPhone IMHO.

LostLogik

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
I was originally going to purchase it, but I don't see why I should pay more now just because I live in the UK! Can I fool iTunes into thinking I live in the US :D

Yes. Get another email address, a US postal address with ZIP code, buy an iTunes gift token and create a new account. Easy and loads of instructions knocking about the web if you search.

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
Yes. Get another email address, a US postal address with ZIP code, buy an iTunes gift token and create a new account. Easy and loads of instructions knocking about the web if you search.

Is this on sale for US customers yet? Because if it isn't, who knows it might also become discounted on the UK store.

rendez2k

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
Hang on, isn't it starting at 11.59pm Tonight?

For a 12 hour period starting at 11:59pm US Eastern Daylight Time (UTC/GMT-4) on Thursday, September 18th, 2008, Jaadu VNC v1.2 will be available for $5 in the US

rockstarjoe

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2006
washington dc
Bought it at full price and I LOVE it. Amazing program, probably the best one I've downloaded from the appstore. Get it cheap while you can folks! :)

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
The article I read about it said it will be discounted for everyone in the world on iTunes. So my UK friends can buy it for $5 USD also. It starts tonight at 11:59 Eastern Standard Time in the U.S., so whatever time that is in the UK you should be able to get it also on sale.

pyrodex

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Note the restriction that it is for this version only, so if you want to upgrade to v1.3 you'll have to fork out the $20 difference. I expect this means your support will expire in some period too. I find this disappointing. Offer the discount by all means but don't create 2nd class buyers. I won't be buying it for this reason. I'd rather pay $10 and have full rights. Hopefully the guy will see that $5 sells 10 times as many copies and will leave it there.

I don't think there would be an upgrade cost, when an upgrade is published for an application you've paid for in the past it doesn't care what you paid for it. It just knows you've purchased it on your iTunes account and therefore are entitled to the upgrade. I could be wrong here but someone else could chime in also.

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
The OP snippet was from an email that said much more (find it on MacTalk). It goes on to say "Jaadu VNC v1.2 will be available for $5 in the US (similar price markdown in the rest of the world)." so people in the UK should be fine as long as the iTunes store propagates the price speedily.

Note the restriction that it is for this version only, so if you want to upgrade to v1.3 you'll have to fork out the $20 difference. I expect this means your support will expire in some period too. I find this disappointing. Offer the discount by all means but don't create 2nd class buyers. I won't be buying it for this reason. I'd rather pay $10 and have full rights. Hopefully the guy will see that $5 sells 10 times as many copies and will leave it there.

I don't mind that restriction. It is only $5 plus I have messed with the current one they have and it is awesome. It is easy to use and well worth $5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.