Jack Klugman passes away aged 90

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Scepticalscribe, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Scepticalscribe, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2012

Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The BBC have just reported the death of the splendid character actor Jack Klugman, aged 90.

Those of you (indeed, those of us, is what I should have said) of a certain age, or vintage, will certainly recall his wonderfully, craggy, irascible turn as 'Oscar', the grumpy, whiskey drinking, card-playing sportswriter, (with the proverbial heart of gold) who offered sanctuary to his formal buttoned up friend 'Felix', in the TV series, 'The Odd Couple', which, in turn, derived from the movie of the same name when Walter Matthau memorably played 'Oscar'.

2. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

I am definitely vintage, or, not to put too fine a point on it...old!!

I remember several film roles in which Klugman did a very nice job, probably the best of which was "Twelve Angry Men", where he held his own with a pretty high powered cast.

He was a quality character actor...and I am partial to character actors.

3. macrumors G3

rhett7660

RIP..... Only saw him in re-runs for the odd couple. Very sad.

4. macrumors newbie

Don't forget "Quincy, M. E." Jack Klugman was solving crimes in a lab more than 20 years before any flavor of CSI. He will be missed.

5. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

I always thought he was a good actor. My mom and I would watch Quincy together.

6. macrumors 6502a

SnowLeopard OSX

R.I.P. -- remember him well from the Twilight Zone.

7. macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

When I was younger if I was ever ill and off school I used to watch Qunicy, M.E. as it was always repeated on daytime TV. Still remember that catchy theme tune!

8. macrumors 65816

ejb190

And don't forget his turn as Juror Number 5 in "Twelve Angry Men" (1957). One of the best films ever. He was the last of those 12 great actors.