Jackson launches legal action over documentary

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iWantAMac, Feb 24, 2003.

1. iWantAMac macrumors 6502

Jackson launches legal action over documentary

Monday, February 24, 2003 Posted: 6:07 PM EST (2307 GMT)

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- Pop legend Michael Jackson, outraged at a behind-the-scenes documentary in which he admitted sharing his bedroom with young children, said on Monday he was launching a legal action against the British television network behind it.

A statement issued in London on behalf of the 44-year-old singer said Jackson would fight Granada Television over ownership of unaired footage of its controversial and hugely popular "Living with Michael Jackson" documentary.

The statement said Jackson was seeking to have all previously unseen footage held by Granada locked away until a wider dispute between the two sides, and interviewer Martin Bashir, was resolved.

"Michael Jackson has argued that Martin Bashir and Granada broke the agreement by which he was permitted to film Michael, concerning ownership of the filmed material and permissions relating to the inclusion of the Jackson children," the statement said.

"In particular, Granada has failed to honour an agreement reached earlier this month to deliver up to Michael Jackson unused film footage of his children, where recognisable."

A spokesman for Jackson said a hearing in the case was expected at London's High Court on Friday.

The documentary, aired to huge audiences in Britain and the United States, was a rare peek at the private life of one of pop's biggest icons which touched off a storm of controversy.

Jackson has accused British journalist Bashir -- given unprecedented access to the singer's world -- of betrayal and has slammed the documentary as a gross distortion of the truth.

Jackson's lawyers have already filed complaints with British broadcasting authorities over the film.

A spokesman for Granada Television told Reuters the company would fight the legal action:

"Michael Jackson's London lawyers told us this evening they had issued proceedings against Granada...We shall be resisting such claims vigorously," the spokesman said.

In the documentary, aired earlier in February, Jackson candidly revealed that his third child was born to a surrogate mother he never met. He also admitted sharing his bedroom with children at his Neverland Ranch in California.

But in an attempt to turn the tables, the self-styled King of Pop has aired his own footage of interviewer Bashir praising Jackson's way with children:

"It almost makes me weep when I see you with them (children) because your interaction with them is just so natural, so loving so caring," Bashir says. The comments were not included in the Granada documentary.

Jackson's lawyers have said the filmmakers used footage of Jackson's children even though he had forbidden them to do so.

They also said Jackson had been unfairly asked about a 1993 case in which he reached a multimillion-dollar settlement with a 14-year-old boy who had accused him of sexual molestation. The superstar maintained his innocence throughout.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/02/24/jackson.lawsuit.reut/index.html

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

someone needs to slap him in the side of the head and tell him to sit down and shut up.

has he no shame that he won't just fade into obscurity like a good freak?

pnw

3. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I guess I don't understand what the big deal is. Sleeping with children is not wrong. Having sex with them or fondling them or whatever is wrong, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with a child and adult falling asleep next to each other.

4. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I see the problem with sleeping with other people's children. I haven't seen the interview, but apparently, that's what he did.

Michael Jackson is just a sick bastard... His decisions in life are weird, and sick. He had the power not to get himself into the mess he's in, and he chose not to stay away from certain things, and turned out the way he is now. Personally, if I ever saw him on the streets, I would bitch-slap him, and knock his silly face off...

HE LOOKS LIKE A FRIGGIN WOMAN!!!

he's got more problems than windows ME!!!

5. vniow macrumors G4

So?

6. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Whoa, sounds almost like you detest women...there's plenty of other things to really get mad about!:rolleyes:

However, I do find your Windows ME comment humorous.:D

Remember...America is the only place on earth where a poor African-American boy can grow up to be a rich Caucasian woman. Fascinating...just fascinating.

7. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

if you want a real eye opener, catch the fox and the vh1 reports on him. the fox one was done with hidden cameras that nbc (the devil) didnt know about. he had no editorial control, yet did not come out looking like the freakshow that nbc portrayed. the vh1 special amazed me, because he had many many good points against the media and the way he is portrayed. i say leave him the hell alone. if you dont like him, dont buy his records. dont even give me the child abuse ****. there is not one SHRED of evidence, just a childs parents capitalizing on someone else's wealth mixed with eccentricity.

8. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

OK, I have nothing wrong with women, or people who try to look like women, but when you complain about people degrading your appearance because of some TV interview, and your face looks like something from frankenstein, you really don't have much to complain about...

He's just weird...

9. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

According to another MJ show I flipped through. The kid that accused him of molestation knew what MJ's genitals looked like. (Apparently there is some discoloration. Much like the rest of him) The reason that the criminal case did not continue was the fact that MJ bought the kid off and the kid stopped helping the investigation.

Personally I think there is something wrong with sleeping in bed with other people's children. Would you allow your 14 year old daughter to sleep in the same bed with a 40 year old man? I certainly would not.

After seeing all of the MJ information, you can't help but feel sorry for him. He is so mentally messed up!

10. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i couldn't care less about what he looks like... i think everyone's free to do whatever they wish in that regard. my problem with him is that he *knows* the cosmetic surgeries make him look bad, and he *know* the weird **** he does is bad for his image, but he still tries to get our sympathy and admiration anyway.

everything he does is more embarassing than the last thing...

pnw

11. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

I think the most disturbing thing is how much of a liar he is, and no one really talks about this. What does he take the American public as, a bunch of idiots? To say that he has only had two plastic surgeries on his nose is an absolute friggin joke. His whole face has transformed so many times its rediculous. I mean, why doesnt he just admit he has plastic surgery? It isnt a crime! He's just a distorted, strange person with more money than he knows what to do with.

Ive heard a few theories about how he is so obsessed with Peter Pan and neverland, that he has tried to transform himself into the likeness of Peter Pan. Pointed nose, elvish features, etc. He even stated on that interview that he would never die. The interviewer asked how he would like to buried, and MJ said he didnt want to be buried because he wasnt going to die. (and actually sounded like he meant it....what a weirdo)

He also lied about how much money he is worth. He claimed to have (or be worth) over a billion dollars, when in reality, hes only worth about 200 million (according to the interview)

So if he is such a comulsive liar and has no sense of reality (or his mortality), whats to say tht other aspects of his life aren't just as screwed up? Just because he is rich doesnt make him stable. I worry for his children who have little hope of a normal childhood or future.

12. Macette macrumors 6502

Michael Jackson is a terribly sad example of what the combination of abuse and fame can lead to.

He deserves pity, not hatred.

13. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

The question isn't why has he lied about having so many plastic surgeries - the question is, why do we ask about his plastic surgeries, and why do we care? If somebody asked me how many plastic surgeries I had, I'd probably ignore them. If they kept asking, well, I'd break their ****ing collarbone, so I can't blame MJ for lying. The only thing I can blame him for is putting up with media bull****. I think since none of us are famous, we don't understand how truly horrible the media can be. They do possess the power to literally drive celebrities temporarily insane, and that has been shown on numerous occasions with everyone from MJ to Kurt Cobain to Bjork to whoever else.

Imagine yourself as Michael Jackson for a day. You can't go out in public alone because you'll get mobbed. You have no choice but to become a hermit. Anything you do in public has to be scripted and highly controlled. Pretty soon, you'll lose touch with reality. You stop watching the news because it always slanders you. The last time you turned it on, one of your "friends" is talking to millions of people about what your genitals look like. Good Christ, it's a miracle MJ hasn't bought a rifle and gone on a murder-suicide rampage yet, because that's what any formerly normal person would do under that kind of pressure.

In my opinion MJ is the best example of the public building someone up and tearing that someone down. I believe the reason we do this is ultimately the result of our own insecurities - we attack someone else to feel better about ourselves. I agree that MJ deserves pity. He may be off his nut, but I feel sorry for him. If I had to endure a decade+ of derisive media spotlight, I'd be in even worse shape.

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

MJ is f44ked-up and the media just puts a magnifying glass over what's f44ked-up. There are many, many celebrities under the media spot light yet very, very few of them are as weird and/or f@#ked up as MJ is (off the top of my head no one even comes close). The source of MJ's problems lie w/in MJ, not the media.

Lethal

15. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Most celebrities weren't world-famous as children and subject to enormous pressure under a physically and mentally abusive father whose #1 goal in life was to suck the self esteem out of his children so that they would work harder to be better musicians. In the nature vs. nurture debate I have to side with nurture. There has not yet been an "affection for chimpanzees, desire to build an amusement park on one's property, and wish to share the same bed with Macaulay Culkin" gene. If I were to play the amateur psychologist, I would guess that MJ's love of children stems from a wish to vicariously experience what he never had: a happy childhood.

16. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

I really don't think anyone is in any position to be making judgements on him like that. Just leave him the hell alone. He does not bother anyone... people just love to supress those who are different, esp. if they are famous.