jag speed issues, and 'resetting' AOL

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Choppaface, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Choppaface macrumors 65816

this is a two question post.

1) I've noticed that sometimes jag is pretty quick, but most of the time it's just as slow as 10.1.5. this is on the 'archive & install' option. I did a clean install on another drive, and it's zippy ~90% of the time instead of 10%....so my question is, is there any way to get the apparent boost of a clean install without actually having to go do a clean install (on the 'archive and install' drive)? :D

quartzGL is active, got a 32 meg radeon...so I don't think that's the speed issue....

2) my dad has had AOL die on him in 10.2 (the first AOL release...not the one that they're advertising sometimes that says that its not jag compatible). might deleting all the prefs and stuff clear this up? on that note, where exactly are the app prefs (and other files of that sort) in X?

2. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: jag speed issues, and 'resetting' AOL

Try booting off the 10.2 disk and using Disc Utility to repair permissions. I doubt if this will give you the boost of a clean install but it should help.

The only fix for AOL in general that I know of is to simply get rid of it.

3. Choppaface thread starter macrumors 65816

i've tried repairing permissions twice to little appearant gain

I know i could delete the aol app and everything in its folder, but would that get rid of the prefs and stuff too?

4. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

No it wouldn't delete the prefs. OSX is similar to OS9 in that each app has preference files. In OSX each person has there own preference folder with the that persons preferences for each app. What you need to do is see if the AOL installer has an option to uninstall if not see if there are any apps out there that are made to uninstall AOL. A good place to look is www.versiontracker.com. If this doesn't work then you just need to delete the AOL folder and do a search for AOL and delete anything the seach comes up with and anything else you can think of.

A clean install of OSX is often the only way to go. I hope I helped.

5. Choppaface thread starter macrumors 65816

so all my prefs are kept in my library folder? then what are the pref and prefpane folders in the root library for? cunfusing o_O

i forgot about uninstall, he he thanks!! :D :D
    (just hope it has that option....)

6. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

System level preferences are kept in the system level library/preference folder.

7. Choppaface thread starter macrumors 65816

8. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Most likely the only prefs you will find in the system/library/preferences folder are prefs for like system tcp/ip settings etc.. Some apps alter system functionality so they might be there AOL might be on of them. For the most part my rule of thumb is if it's in the System/Library folder don't f*ck with it unless you know what you are doing.

9. Choppaface thread starter macrumors 65816

k

also my G4 tower's fan (dual 500) has recently started to vibrate pretty loudly. it's not really all that annoying, but is it still safe to run the machine until I get it fixed (or try to fix it myself....dunno if it still has applecare)? i opened up the case and felt the area around the fan and it didnt seem to physically vibrate all that much, it just seems to make a lot of noise. but still, the vibration gets louder and quieter at times....i hope its not going to burn out or something :\

10. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Check on Applecare first. Also get a compressed air fan open the case and clean the blades off if you can by blowing the dirt out of the case. Could just be an imbalance due to dirt build up.

11. Choppaface thread starter macrumors 65816

that's what I thought, and I spend like half a can of the stuff blowing the thing out....although I can now make out the vid card :D it didn't help :(

it's done this before, but not this bad....

if it doesnt still have applecare (prolly doesnt..its pretty old...), should I take it into a shop or can i prolly just open up the fan part fuss with it?

what about disabling the fan completely? the cubes didn't have fans, and I believe I've got the same CPUs as the cube....

12. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

You're case and the dual cpus are not built for convection cooling like the cube so don't disconnect the fan. The fan probably has bearings going out or something. Which fan is it? What is its sole purpose and where is it in the case? Then I might be able to tell you an action.

13. Choppaface thread starter macrumors 65816

it appears to be the intake fan (I think...). It's the one under the power supply mounted flush with the side of the case...it uses the smaller vent in the back that runs alongside the PCI cards and stuff

14. Choppaface thread starter macrumors 65816

correction, it IS the fan in the power supply (I sure hope there's a damn fan in there). I turned it on again and nothing really happened, and then 5 minutes later I started hearing the noise again. I thought I would see how it went so i left it and then it started making a really high pitched noise and vibrating a LOT. finally it sounded like it just plain conked out, and then it started cycling all over again, running up, then appearantly quitting, then running up again. >_<
    It's possible that it could just be dusty. it sits on the floor of a carpeted room with an air conditioning vent about 4 feet behind it so it gets pretty dusty

15. Choppaface thread starter macrumors 65816

ok i took it by computerware and they said that the power supply is going to fail pretty soon. they said that they might be able to get one in 2 weeks.... >_<

is there anywhere that might have this part in stock?

it seems it was the dust afterall that killed it...seems odd cuz I had my G3 tower in the same place and it was fine....although i've used my G4 a lot more.... :\

16. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I don't no exactly where you might get one quicker. You might search online though I think it would be preferable to let them replace it if they're using OEM or better parts. That way you would have a warranty on the parts and there labor.

I have a wooden shelf that (like a shop shelf not a book shelf) that I use to put my computer on this sits the bottom of the comput off the floor about a foot. There is a shelf then just above the computer that has my printer on it. The shelf sits at the right end of my desk so the printer sits facing and slightly overhanging the edge of my desk. That way I can easily reach over and drop a cd in the computer because it's higher off the floor and when I print it basically spits out on my desk.

This results in very little dust going throught the computer. This keeps it cleaner and keeps it running cooler. I also clean it out about once a year the whole thing powersupply and all though there is usually very little dust build up.

17. Choppaface thread starter macrumors 65816

kewl maybe I'll try something like that. right now the mac has to go on the floor because there's no room on the desk :(
    and whenever I'm not using it, it runs SETI (which is most of the day and at night), and it's been doing this for prolly over a year now, so I guess that's where dust can really build up he he

the peeps at computerware thought I might be able to find the apple part online somewhere (not just something that 'might' work), and I'd definently have either computerware or compusa or somebody do it as apparently a lot of the stuff has to come out of the computer to yank the PS out :\