Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by rjrufo
I think it's funny that everyone is arguing over how other people talk. Heck, even people in the same country can't talk the same. I'm in Boston, Massachusetts, USA. People here talk different than they do in New York City, New York, USA. And New Yorkers talk different than people in Washington D.C., USA. People in all three cities talk different than people in the Georgia, USA. People in Georgia talk different than people in Chicago, Illinois, USA, who talk different than people in Dallas, Texas, USA. I can keep going, but I think you get the picture.
Pretty strainge, isn't it?

boston accents are funny :D

say it with me, "yaRd". RRRRRRR

hehe just giving you crap :)

i think it's funny how people in other countries interpret the American accent. For the most part it's okay, but sometimes they pronounce certain words with a southern drawl, or some other regional accent, and it takes you totally out of the character and makes you laugh. it's gotta be confusing as hell for other people to try and figure out American accents, because as you said it can change dramatically from place to place, even nearby...

pnw

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Originally posted by medea
Ok I'll repeat it again, it is actually pronounced
jg?wär' or jg?y??-är' and it's a portuguese/spanish word
yaguar actually not j sound it it at all.

Actually, you're right - I looked up the etymology of the word. Comes from the Guarani word yaguar, Guarani being Native Americans originally from Brazil/Paraguay/Argentina

rjrufo

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2002
Boston
Originally posted by paulwhannel

boston accents are funny :D

say it with me, "yaRd". RRRRRRR

hehe just giving you crap :)

pnw

What's even funnier, is the midwest, Indiana to be more specific. They add the R where it shouldn't be, like "warsh" instead of "wash".

BTW, I'm not originaly from Boston, so I don't have the accent, but my wife does. She say's "Pahk the cah in hahvahd yahd." I'm used to it now, but when we first met, I used to tease her about it all the time.

(Edited some spelling)

Rajj

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2002
32° 44' N 117° 10' W
Originally posted by rjrufo

What's even funnier, is the midwest, Indiana to be more specific. They add the R where it shouldn't be, like "warsh" instead of "wash".

BTW, I'm not originaly from Boston, so I don't have the accent, but my wife does. She say's "Pahk the cah in hahvahd yahd." I'm used to it now, but when we first met, I used to tease her about it all the time.

(Edited some spelling)

Ha ha ha haha!!!
You are so right!!!!
And in Chicago (Chi-town) they say stoe instead of store!!!!
:rolleyes:
And on the west coast they pronounce everything out, like Grandmother or Grandfather, like it should be, but in the south they say Granny or Grandpa!!!!
I could go on and on but it is futile to do so, because people are going to talk how they want to!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.