Jaguar = 10.5 @ US$99?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mmmdreg, Jul 5, 2002.

1. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

http://www.railheaddesign.com last week I think, said that Jaguar seemed to be so feature-rich that it expected that it would be 10.5 at $99...however, everywhere else calls it 10.2..such as zdnet (Jaguar, formally known as..10.2)..comments?

2. Macpoops macrumors 6502

I was under the impression that Apple only referred to it as Jaguar. No mention of a version number. Everyone else just assumes its 10.2. Only apple knows what they are going to call it and we'll all find out in due time. 10.5 seems more likes given the laundry list of updates but what do I know?

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

If you check out this article you would notice that this paragraph states that Jaguar is 10.2.

The new version, code-named Jaguar and officially known as Mac OS X 10.2, is now expected to ship in early August,...

Now I don't expect the price of the upgrade to Jaguar to be any higher than $30 (I expect $20). And for those complaining about spending $20 on a software update...you have got to be kidding me! It's only $20 or $30! How much do you have to spend for complXPee and other road repaintings for windoze? In $30 you can buy an ink cartridge or two. $30 is such a small amount of money compared to the rest of the computer world. Software can cost hundreds. Some hardware costs hundreds as well. Be lucky you probably won't be spending more than $30 to get the best OS there is, if it's not a free upgrade.

4. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

Yeah, $30 isn't a lot for a great big update like this one.

5. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

anyone running the betas can tell you its 10.2. it says it everywhere.

6. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

Yes, it's 10.2

If you look in the pictures at http://www.thinksecret.com/ it says 10.2 I think. The beta versions say 10.2 as well. Unless Apple is just typing in 10.2 in the Apple System Profiler and the "About This Mac" window, Jaguar will not be 10.5.

7. Choppaface macrumors 65816

I know a lot of people had to pay $20 for the 10.1 update, but did anybody else get it for free at compusa like me?

oh and its 'jagwire'! :D :D

8. DavPeanut macrumors 6502

9. mmmdreg thread starter macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

if it costs money, I'll probably wait til we get a new computer (soon as the iMacs go 1GHz)...because although it is considerable, it's not an essential upgrade...and I'm cheap :D

10. mmcneil macrumors regular

Dollars for Speed

If Jaguar is half the speedup everyone is reporting it will be well worth the $$ - especially vs a machine upgrade which is out of range at the moment :rolleyes:

11. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Re: Dollars for Speed

I'm running 6C75 on my secondary box right now (a Rev. 1 B & W G3 400, 256, crappy IDE bus).

It is, without a doubt, faster than 10.1.5 on my primary machine (2002 QS 733, 1.5GB ATA133 RAID).

That alone should be enough to convince you to part with a few beer tokens at the fruit store!

12. mmcneil macrumors regular

I'm Convinced!!

It sounds like a pleasure - while I wait for my next G4:D

13. j763 macrumors 6502a

Well, you're pretty optimistic with those estimates. Apple will not be as generous this time around as they were with 10.1, mainly because 10.0 sucked... I wouldn't be suprised if Jag was $49... They're going to be putting a lot of stuff in there soon that's not in the builds currently (we'll reveal more when the new ambitiouslemon.com is launched), but I still think $99 would be a bit too steep. We *will* see at least one new iApp at MWNY or as part of jag (not necesarily branded iApp, but i wouldn't be surprised)... Don't ask for details here -- they'll be on ambitiouslemon.com in due course.

14. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

Proof

Proof:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. mmcneil macrumors regular

Re: Proof

I am mostly jealous that you can make that screenshot - I registered for beta testing with Apple 6 months ago, but have heard nothing since :(

16. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

beta tester?

Who said any thing about me being an official beta tester? Hehe :D

17. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

I remember going to the Apple Store to get the 10.1 update for free and installing it on my iBook 500 in Starbucks. With any luck, Apple will offer Jaguar for free as well, although it doesn't look likely due to all the new features. Still, I would mind paying $30 or even $49 for the upgrade. If what I've been hearing is true, Jaguar will give my little iBook a tidy speed boost.

Still hoping for a G4 iBook...

18. mmcneil macrumors regular

Re: beta tester?

Tsk, Tsk - I'm still jealous :cool:

19. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

20. jaykk macrumors 6502a

How do u sign up for Beta testing?

i am a regular member of ADC, but i didnt see any options. I am interested in Beta testing as well.. I work on AIX all day and Mac OS X is a relief. I wish i could make use of my Unix skills for Beta testing..Plus I am learning Cocoa..

21. mmcneil macrumors regular

Re: How do u sign up for Beta testing?

goto appleseed.apple.com, download the form, send it in and keep your fingers crossed;)

22. kanaka macrumors member

Would any of you who have access to Jaguar be kind enough to tell me if there are any features in Visage (shareware app) that do not work in 10.2?

Thanks,
    Kanaka

23. ArtMan617 macrumors regular

While this is in reference to the original topic, I don't see how Apple could make Jaguar 10.5...OS X hasn't been out THAT long and by moving to 10.5 it would almost signal that OS X is about 1/2 way done and that's certainly not the case...also, while Jaguar will be adding a lot of great features, it's basically just stepping itself up from 10.1.5. Anyway, those are just my thoughts and they are certainly subject to disagreement.

-ArtMan617