Jaguar 6C70 and iApps

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by arn, Jun 19, 2002.

1. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Slaptech reports that Jaguar 6C70 was released last week... nothing that the install process has expanded to two cds. Few other details available.

Scanner support, however, seems to be coming along via Image Capture 2.0 according to ThinkSecret's continuing Jaguar coverage.

Finally, RailheadDesign is indicating that upgrades to the various iApps (iTunes, iDVD, iMovie, and iPhoto) are on the horizon with Jaguar's final release in late summer.

2. macrumors 6502a

i posted this eslewhere but no one responded.. and none of the other websites out thre seem to have noticed this...

there is an app in the utilities folder that seems to be for transferring files over bluetooth -- showing that apple may be adopting the blutooth standard in their imac, cause the icon of the program is an imac...

anyways, 10.2 is really coming along -- and has gone a real long way since their first build which really really sucked -- it included new quartz stuff and that was it -- as long with being as buggy as hell..

cheers to apple..

3. macrumors regular

So, does this mean that the iApps with get major upgrades - ie iTunes 2.0.4 becomes iTunes 3? Or will only be iTunes 2.1? for example.

I'm not using OSX yet (though I have used it) and am really looking forward to getting this new release and making the switch :)

4. macrumors newbie

Well one "feature" which has been talked about for a while is AAC (MPEG-4) audio in iTunes and the iPod .. with about 60% better compression of CD quality music (160 kps MP3 -> 96 kps AAC) I can get 1600 (5 gig) or 3200 (10 gig) songs in my pocket!

5. macrumors 65816

6C70 wasn't released, 6C63 was. The article says 6C70 nears release, though I'm not sure why they mention that when they only speak of 6C63.

6. macrumors regular

Yeah, I've been reading about this on Apple discussions a fair bit. But adding AAC support seems like a iTunes 2.1 type release. Maybe that's all it will be! Oh, and possibly only for OSX. This would seem logical extension of what Steve said at the WWDC.

7. macrumors 65816

eric_n_dfw

Scanner support... FINALY!

Well, it's about time!!!!:eek:
    Apple should have had this as soon as iPhoto came out.:mad:

I really hope Jaguar comes out soon!:rolleyes:

8. macrumors 6502

iPOd with mpeg 4

Question for all:
    If the iPod will now (QT6) support Mpeg 4 (ACC) will we be able to encode our current mp3 to compress even more, or will we just be able to use additional mp4 encoded music. Also, has any1 figured how to transfer songs from an iPod back to iTunes? I want to do this not because I am trying to pirate anything, but I reformatted my HD, and now all my songs are on the iPod, and I want a select few back on my PB.

9. macrumors member

Call me dull, but...

... Apple should not update the other iApps until iPhoto reaches the same version number as the others.

I find it severly disconcerting that the other iApps are at 2.x and iPhoto is only 1.1x. Apple's just begging for bad karma. :D

BTW, really digging IE 5.2s Quartz anti-aliasing. Shwweeet.

10. macrumors regular

Re: iPOd with mpeg 4

Yes, it can be done with a shareware app called XPod. You can find it easily on VersionTracker. The only downside to the app is that it copies ALL of your tunes from the 'Pod to your Mac. I don't believe it let's you select what songs you want to copy over (last time I checked). But it's a start at least. Just dump whatever songs you don't want permanently on your PowerBook.

Mike

11. macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Re: Call me dull, but...

That's like saying "I think Apple should not update OSX until all other programs reach version 10."

Dude, its a number at the end of a name...just be happy Apple never fell into the idiotic trap of naming versions after years!

12. macrumors newbie

My guess is Apple won't push this or make it easy to do since encoding a MP3-extracted AIFF file into ACC would loose a good amount of quality(maybe not for the casual listeners, but I can tell). I'd recommending popping your CDs back in for a re-encoding session for the purest music you can get.

If you did want to do it... its very AppleScriptable via QT Pro.

13. macrumors member

Recompressing an MP3 to AAC could probably be done, but getting anything worthwhile out of the conversion (smaller size, better fidelity) is doubtful. Both algorithms are designed to work with raw audio. When an MP3 is encoded, information is discarded that AAC would use for its own encoding. Without that data, AAC is severely handicapped. In truth, re-encoding your files would probably result in poorer sound quality.

14. macrumors 6502

I've been tinkering with build 6C35- I take it 6C35 ("35" compared to "70") must be an earlier build. Nevertheless, I find 6C35 to be quite responsive; a definite improvement from 10.1.5.

Bill

15. macrumors 6502

McFreggle

Re: Re: Call me dull, but...

Besides, if it really would matter that iPhoto had the same number as the other apps, they could jump from iPhoto 1 to iPhoto 3, like Netscape did with its 4 --> 6 transition. Although I think Apple would never do such a thing.

k.

16. macrumors 6502

iMovie also needs an update, mpeg4 export and such.

And it is still buggy on osx.

17. macrumors 6502

XPod

Hey thanks MM2270 I d/l Xpod and it seems that it will do exactly what I need. Thanks again!

18. macrumors member

uuuuuughh

As stoked as I am on mpeg-4.... I will have 20+ gigs of mp3's to re-rip.... arrrrgh.

19. macrumors 6502

McFreggle

Re: uuuuuughh

... unless Apple provides us with a MP3 --> MPEG 4 conversion programme within iTunes 3...

k.

20. macrumors newbie

iApp Update

I won't worry about the mp3, mp4 thing until I get an iPod... perhaps an update at MWNY?? There are refurbished ones at a few places right now but I just can't order knowing that the big show is in a few weeks.

iMovie 2 needs a major update! I love the program and use it constantly but there are some annoying bugs that just shouldn't be there after nearly two years!

Hopefully iPhoto will take advantage of Jaguar and speed up a bit.

21. macrumors regular

I can't wait for AAC, I'm out of space on my 5gb iPod since I use it to transfer files around also. Putting more songs on would be a big plus, or having the same amount of songs on in a smaller space would be cool too.

I will definitely re-encode all my songs into mp4 format, but it should be quicker once I get my dual 1.5ghz G5.;)

22. macrumors regular

Re: Re: uuuuuughh

Going from MP3 --> AAC is a waste of time. It is like taking a photograph of a photo copy.

In order to get the better quality and size you will have to go back to the source (CDS) and re-rip them. Personally, I am ready to re-rip about 400 CDS. :)

BZ

23. macrumors newbie

Re: Re: Re: Call me dull, but...

Apple DID this with it's OS version until 6 arrived !
    Beside, at the time, the game was about adding a word to the product name like Macwrite, Macwrite Plus, Macwrite Pro, Macwrite XP ( :p )

24. macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Re: uuuuuughh

I hear that. I've got almost three times that. :eek: :eek: :eek:

25. macrumors 6502

Re: Scanner support... FINALY!

I asked for scanner support in iPhoto, it will come. Actually everything I asked for in OSX has come or will be here with 10.2. Heck might as well just ask me what else I requested...it's like a backstage pass to the future.