Jaguar and Airport

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by drastik, Aug 29, 2002.

1. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

Okay, finally got upgraded last night, everything is smooth sailing and cool as can be. Now, does anyone know the deal with no base station airport? Can I just slap cards into my tower and powerbook and use the tower to broadcast? This is what I've heard, but I was wondering if anyone had the specifics.

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

There should be a utility called "Software Base Station" unless they've changed the name.

I looked and couldn't find it in the apps folder anywhere...anyone know where it's at?

3. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

what???!!!!:confused: :confused: :eek:

that would be nice.... anybody know anything about this? how is it possible?

4. droidmaker macrumors newbie

Software Base Station

Go to the Sharing folder in System Pref's. There will be a tab that is labeled "Internet Sharing". Click on the tab and click the "start" button. You should be good to go after that. Post here if you have any other questions.

5. drastik thread starter macrumors 6502a

drastik

That seems siple enough, but wouldn't I need to turn on airport? I don't know. I want to go out and buy the cards to do it, but I don't feel like springing for the base station. My apartments only 1000 sq, ft, or so, I don't need a lot of range right now.

6. droidmaker macrumors newbie

SBS in Jaguar

Drastik,
    Sorry about not being clearer in my previous post. Yes, you need to have airport cards installed and turned on. Assuming you have set up a preferred network, with the cards transmitting, and Internet sharing turned on, you will effectively have a software base station. The Mac acting as the SBS will have a bold black arrow pointing skyward in the Airport reception icon located in the menu bar.
    I hope that clears everything up!

-Droidmaker

7. drastik thread starter macrumors 6502a

drastik

Right on, thank you very much, now I have to go try to do some trade with my local reseller. They are nice people, but being the only mac only store in town gives tham a bit of an attitude.;)

8. droidmaker macrumors newbie

SBS in Jag

Hey, glad I could be of help. Good luck with your reseller. I have the same situation here in my home town. Enjoy the SBS! I know I couldn't make it without it.

9. Choppaface macrumors 65816

good luck, hope that it all works with a SBS. didn't offer enough range for my house :( had to get a hub

10. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

okay cool .... but if i want to share printers i would have to get a hub right?

11. Choppaface macrumors 65816

i think it depends on te printer. if you can print over tcp/ip, it shouldn't be an issue

12. droidmaker macrumors newbie

Wireless printer sharing

Printer sharing over my home airport network works flawlessly. I'm using an Epson Photo 820. Just be sure you have printer sharing turned on under the Services tab in the System Pref's Sharing folder.

13. FatTony macrumors regular

The cheapest solution for airport is (assuming you have 2 airport-ready macs and 10.2) just getting 2 airport cards.

In this setup you need to have your first mac physically connected to the internet (modem, cable, dsl, etc.) and turn on internet sharing (software basestation). Now, your second mac (with airport card) can share the internet connection.

The downside is that the first mac must be on for the second to connect to the internet.

This setup will also work with file and printer sharing. If you have a usb printer, plug it in to one mac and turn on printer sharing. Now your other mac can use the printer plugged in to the first mac. You need 10.2 for both macs in this case.

If you have a network pritner (ethernet), there are adapters that turn network printers into airport printers. Apple has a page that talks about different methods of printer sharing: here. In this method, the printer is its own wireless client.

For more flexibility (and more money) you can buy an airport basestation, in additition to the 2 airport cards. This would free your first mac from a physical connection to the internet and also remove the burden of running internet sharing (software basestation). This way your first mac doesn't have to be on all the time for the second one to have access to the internet.

14. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Actually

Just one correction there on the SoftBase option in Jaguar. According to Apple's tech documents, Softbase only works on "always on" internet connection like ethernet networks. If anyone gets it to work via dial-up though, I would be GLAD to be wrong. .

Good Luck!

Gus

15. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

hey gus what do you mean by that?

"always on".... what are you saying here?

16. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

"always on" would mean, unlimited internet access.

17. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

As I understood it from the Apple tech documents, always on means a DSL, ISDN, network or cable modem connection. If I am wrong, please let me know.

By the by, you can get the older (Graphite) ABS for $149 and even cheaper now through places like MacSolutions. If you are just going to be using it in your home, then it works great. It doesn't have the extra Ethernet plug like the new one, but I've never needed it for my home network. Just thought I'd add that info.

Gus

18. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i have been experimenting with some network setups (home network) and i cannot seem to get things to work.

facts:

_i get 2 fix ip address' (the ip address' are in conjuction with 2 mac address')

_1 cable modem

_1 rj45 cable is connected to the "uplink" connection of my asanté switch.

_1 rj45 cable is connected to the airport base station (lan connector)

i configured the airport as instructed and i can go wireless without any problems.

_1 rj45 cable is connected to my other computer (pc) *shame* (the other fixed ip address is configured here, without any problems)

---

so here comes the problems :)

according to apple, the airport base station can act as a router. i just have to connect my switch to the lan connector and 1 rj45 cable from the wan connector to the cable modem.

and i could share ip address' let us say, with my new powermac.

but that does not work.

i connected the cable modem directly to the airport base station (in the wan connector) and but then i cannot connect wirelessly no more.

i tried to reconfigure the airport base station with a simple setup, ibook + wirless connection + rj45 cable from wan connector to cable modem.

i need ideas. please help guys. thx.