Jaguar and Networking

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Mr. Anderson, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I seem to be having a very strange error that requires me to reboot regularly (every 2-4 hours).

I have a Sawtooth 450 G4 connected to my Linksys Wireless Router by RJ45 and its running Jag. All of a sudden the network drops, I can't reconnect, changing settings doesn't do a bit of good. But when the machine was running OS9, no problems. Also my TiPB running OSX.1.5 via Airport doesn't miss a beat.

Now I'm going to the linksys website, but I was wondering if anyone else is having these problems.

Also, logging out and then back in doesn't work either - you have to reboot to regain the connection.

D

2. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ok,

[rant]

What the fuukkk! I get on the phone with Linksys technical support and they tell me that they don't have the resources available to support Macintosh problems!!!!!

How can these @sses say on the box that the system works with macs and not support it - the intstallation instructions come with both pc and mac directions.

Now I'm really pissed!

Don't ever buy linksys - I'm so sorry to anyone out there who listened to me about buying one, I hope everyone got an Apple Airport Basestation instead, or any other system that has *support* for macintosh.

Damn, damn, damn!!!

[/rant]

Ok, so anyone got any ideas? Maybe its not a linksys issue, but I'll never know from them. Why is my machine dropping the network connection - oh, and I'm using DHCP - maybe I'll try a manual setting....

D

3. sphereboy macrumors 6502

sphereboy

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I get on with all my Linksys gear fine, I am using static IP's on all my machines, mainly because I have now set up a W2K Advanced Server running DNS, so I can register all my machine hostnames to their IP's which can then be 'resolved'.

5. DavPeanut macrumors 6502

6. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

well, it happened again, but this time I rebooted the router - so maybe that's what it needed - i hope.

But all of you who have a linksys, doesn't it bother you the tech support *doesn't* support macs? At all? I think that's pretty damn lame.

D

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I only have a Linksys hub, but it would certainly bother me a little. I'm pretty used to hardware companies and ISPs not really having the staff to support Macintosh. Their testing department probably works the same way. "Hey, we plugged it in and it worked, so it must be okay."

8. gbojim macrumors 6502

I don't know why it is happening but I have had these problems in the past as well and not just with Linksys gear. I have not been able to isolate it in any way. It just seems that every now and then you get a computer that does not want to pick up its IP config from a particular DHCP server. I've always solved this using a static config on the computer, although I would prefer not to do so.

9. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

i am not trying to insult your intelligence, but i have noticed jaguar's power settings are ultra conservative. this has affected my software base station (tower to ibook).

10. robotrenegade macrumors 6502a

Upgrade

You need to upgrade the airport hub to 4.6 something. I had the same problem.

11. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Upgrade

the airport hub? we're talking linksys, not airport. and I've jus bought jaguar and never had this problem until I installed it. right now it requires me to cycle the power on the router, which is better than the machine, but still not very convenient.

D

12. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

so what are you saying is a solution to this? how did it affect your software base station and what did you do to fix it.

D