Jaguar and USB Printer Sharing

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by MacAztec, Sep 15, 2002.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Hi, I have a Hewlet Packard printer, connected to my iMac 233MHz running Jaguar. Now, all the computers in my house are networked, sharing cable internet and all (hard wire), and now that Jaguar is out, am I able to print on the USB printer from other computers in the house?

If so, how?

Thanks for any help!

2. vniow macrumors G4

I think you can, just as long as the drivers are installed on all computers. Is Jaguar on the other machines as well?

3. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Yes

jag is on the other machines, and the printer works on the iMac, but HOW can i get it to be shared?

4. big macrumors 65816

big

Man, its really pretty easy.. my problem was getting it to work over airport...there's another thread showing that though.

tell your iMac 233MHz to "share" its printer (preferences/sharing)

then open print center on your other computers (macs I hope, windows is about the same though)
    and select the printer over network option, or something like that

fiddling with all the settings will do you good to learn what to mess with, and what not to. in the end you won't break anything

5. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

On all of the computers go to System Prefs>Sharing and check "Printer Sharing".

Your USB printer should show up in Printers List in Print Center on the networked machines. In Print Center, sometimes it shows up when you select "USB" from the drop-down menu, other times it's under Network. Either way, when it shows up, just select it and enjoy.

You may get an Error that says something like "Printer Error...". If this happens, go to Apple Menu>Location>Network Preferences and in the "Search Domains" area, type "local" -(no quotes though :) ). That should fix that problem.

Good Luck!

Gus