Jaguar at MWNY?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by arn, May 18, 2002.

1. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

MacEdition published a NMR report indicating that Mac OS X 10.2 is due for us in July at MWNY:

The final candidate will rear its head during the last week of June, they aver, and the shipping version should put in an appearance at July’s Macworld Expo/New York – presumably alongside Apple’s next major round of desktop hardware.

Note that Jaguar will likely be a paid upgrade... the biggest hint regarding this is that Jobs specifically stated that XServe (which ships with 10.1.5) will require a paid upgrade to Jaguar during the XServe release session Q&A.

2. macrumors 603

I do not see why this would not happen. You have OS X 10.2 being previewed early in May...that means that there will be a long two month's time before we actually see 10.2 ready for shipment.

Again, it's not SpyMac. :)

My question now lies with the "rumor" that 10.1.5 was somewhere about. Why would Apple continue to release minor updates if they know they have Jaguar packin'?

Any time is a great time for iPod.

3. arn
    thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Jaguar is probably going to cost $$$.

So... 10.1.5 and 10.1.6 (if you believe the rest of the article) would presumably be bug fixes for the 10.1 line.

10.2 will be bug fixes plus new features.

arn

4. macrumors 6502a

bring it on and put in the new PMs!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. macrumors regular

makes sense

mwny would be the right time to release x.2 seeing as how the new towers will be comming out. It'd be nice to have them shipped with jaguar.

6. macrumors 603

The only reason I am questioning 10.1.5/..6 is because I do not remember the last time Apple updated a line of OS while a higher level OS was being integrated into products. I don't think Apple did this with 10.0.x. So why would Apple not do the same for Puma/Jaguar?

It just seems wierd, that's all. All the bug fixes would presumably be in Jaguar.

7. macrumors newbie

Don't bet on it

Jaguar will be given its public showing at MWNY but don't expect to get you hands on it before Apple Expo in Paris.

8. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

whether true or not... buying a new computer in july, then having to pay for an os upgrade is crappy... oh well.

9. macrumors 6502

Hopefully apple takes time on Jaguar and makes sure its got everything that people have wanted for a long time, I rather see them do that instead of rushing Jaguar out the door.

10. macrumors 603

Well, what if you buy a new computer (PowerMac) at July and OS X 10.2 is included? Then you probably will not have to worry about purchasing it.

As for those who have 10.1 or plan to purchase a computer with 10.1, it is kind of annoying. But I am assuming the upgrade is NOT $100. It may be more like #20 or $30. That isn't a big deal.

11. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

right, i was saying if it comes with 10.1 and you then, a month later, get 10.2 and have to pay, then it is crappy.

even if it's 30 bucks.

as for anyone else, 30 bucks is fine for an upgrade this big in my opinion.

12. macrumors newbie

Don't worry about it. When you buy a new system you are eligible to get updates for free if they are released within a certain time frame of your purchase.

Jeff.

13. macrumors 6502

I smell new powermacs...

buy now or wait... .?????????????? the ever present question..

14. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

They have the rebate available for the G4 until July, right upto MWNY, so you have a bit of time if you're in the market. I'm not going to buy a new computer till the G5 comes out and next year, so if the G5 comes out in July (doubt it) I'll get one after MWSF. I might get an upgrade for my current G4 until then.

Its good to see that both Jaguar and new hardware are coming out at the same time. I could just imagine the fiasco that would ensue if Jaguar came out and there wasn't a decent machine to run it on.

15. macrumors 68000

dongmin

The bit about the Xserve requiring a paid upgrade to 10.2 bothers me. The Xserves are not supposed to ship until sometime in June, right? And if 10.2 comes out during the MWNY, that would only make it a month later. That doesn't make sense to me. Either it's gonna be a free upgrade for Xserve users OR it's not coming out until August or so.

16. macrumors regular

Jobs did say one service update to OS X before we see Jaguar. if we do not see 10.2 in July, i would think we see it right after. it's very possible we will see an updated minitower in July that doesnt actually ship for a week or two or three. tthat would take us into august. then again it might be like the iphoto upgrade. the newer verrsion was on the shipping machines, but still had a few tweaks to work with older systems. i assume whatever hardware is released between now and Jaguar release date will be optimized (or already is) for the OS upgrade. makes sense. if we see hardware in July i would expect it to have 10.2 instead of them making sure 10.1.x works on it.

17. macrumors member

Remember a couple of things:

1 - The 10.1 Server upgrade was a paid upgrade, unlike the client. Given, it was only about $30.00, but you did have to buy it (I believe educators got it free).

2 - Screw the G5. I think everyone that is 'waiting for the G5' is falling prey to bigger number syndrome. I anticipate that if the G5 truly is what everyone says, we will probably take a speed hit on 32 bit applications making it *slower* than the G4 at certain tasks. If you need a new computer, waiting for the G5 is just silly. I never understood why people do this, base purchases off of rumors with very little substance and doing little reasearch. :::sigh:::

3 - The build of Jaguar that was released at WWDC was pre-alpha. The chances of it going through all Alpha and Beta testing, hitting GM and shipping in 2 months are next to none. Has anyone actually listened to the reviews of Jaguar? Cool featurs, unstable, unstable, unstable. Jaguar will *not* be released for a while, so get it out of your heads now.

That's all. Before I get flamed, just think about everything we actually know right now. The entire article posted was pure speculation with nothing to back it up. What do we *know*?

18. macrumors regular

From what I've heard Jaguar won't show until at least Sept, Nov. I've run the version that was given to developers at WWDC and there is no way they will have it ready to go by the time MWNY comes around. There are still a lot of the features Steve spoke of left out. While it's still solid, it's not nearly where it will be when Apple finally releases it. As far as the G5 goes. Next year. But who cares. The G4's they will be releasing will solve a lot of the problems that the original G4 had. The new towers will be G4s and they will scream.

19. macrumors regular

i think paying for any upgrade for 10.2 is ridiculus, if they did charge to upgrade, id find a serial, unless it's OS 11 im not paying...

20. macrumors 603

Well, now, it makes sense, why there would be an OS 10.1.5, ..6, etc. If Apple does not release Jaguar at New York, but instead preview it, then we probably will see Jaguar sometime around the early fall (maybe really early?), just as Dragon mentioned. But, again, I am only agreeing with no "release" of Jaguar since there are still minor updates to go that may reflect on the Alphas/Betas of Jaguar for further development.

21. macrumors 65816

They were working on 10.1 and 10.0x at the same time, they also worked on 9.1, 9.2 a the same time as X PB. They were also working on 10.2 when at least 10.1.4 came out, why would you not believe they can do it again?

22. macrumors regular

Code Branching.

Since it seems a lot of people aren't familiar with how it works I'll explain it a little bit.

You often have a release version, let's call that 1.0. Of course 1.0 is full of bugs and in need of some minor enhancements. These bug fixes go into some sort of central reporting repository if it is a well run orginization.

Then you have future releases, let's call our future release 1.5. Inside of that are enhancments. When you begin an enhancement release it is based off a stable branch of earlier code. Our pretend future release takes, say, version 1.2 of the release code.

Now at this point you have two releases you are working on, even though only one should be in the wild. You have a small group of developers working on known issues and bugs in the earlier release and the bulk of your development effort going into the new feature enhanced release. The bug fixes are applied to both release branches, in many cases seperately because you have taken a fixed code branch from an earlier point. This new release therefore should (although sometimes it doesn't) contain all known fixed issues from the earlier version (1.2). This allows you to work on a seperate version of code and change it all willy-nilly but still have something stable to go back and work on in case you suddenly to need to make a 1.3 since 1.5 is taking so damn long.

Hope this helps.

23. macrumors 6502a

The last I heard about Jaguar was that they've got the stability issues completely ironed out (it should be as stable as 10.1.4) in a new build, and they could release Jaguar tomorrow if Apple wanted to.... But here's the catch -- Apple want to work out MPEG4 licensing out with MPEGLA so the Jag preview at WWDC was basically a deadline for MPEGLA. If this rumor is true, then either MPEGLA or apple have walked out of discussions or they've reached an arrangement already. The latter being more likely -- the only reason that Jag is waiting for the greedy @$$holes at MPEGLA is so that with the upgrade to Jag, Apple can raise some funds not only to make an ROI from Jag but to pay mpegla for mpeg4 decoding in QT6. Personally, I hope that Apple have given up on MPEGLA and have effectively killed MPEG4 and then we'll see what those greedy @$$holes say.

Also, don't be too confident that Jag will be 10.2 I mean, if we saw this many features in every 10.x release, we'd never reach OS 11. Note also that Apple has never called jag 10.2 -- just "OS X Codename Jaguar" and the URL is macosx/newversion -- not macosx/version2 or macosx/102

24. macrumors 6502

Pismo

At MWNY, I predict that Steve will preview 10.2 (if it is not ready to be released) and he might give us a release date. If it is ready that day, he might tell people to reach under their seats and pull out an Apple ticket and tell them they can get a free copy of 10.2 at the door when they leave.

As for distribution to the masses...

10.2 will cost $20 as did 10.1 will be free at any Apple retailer.

Just my opinion.

As for the G5's, only God and Steve knows.

25. macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Any idea how much RAM Jaguar will require? Have 256mb on my iBook, and I'm wonderin' if havin' an entire 640mb would be a good idea?