Jaguar crashing all the time...

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Megaquad, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

Jaguar is really torturing me! When I copy some slightly damaged CD to hd it freezes!!
    Like in OS 9.. Is there anything I can do to prevent that?

2. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

have you run diskwarrior or anything or booted from the install disk and repaired the HD and the persmissions

try every disk thing you have and get back to us :D

good luck

3. Megaquad thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well,i bought my 120 GB hdd yesterday (he he:D ) and now i have to copy circa 80 CD's to HD..
    It is freshly formatted,permissions checked..I think its jaguar problem..
    And scariest thing.. If i let my mac be freezed for few minutes,entire system is ****ed!
    I cant boot jaguar anymore then and i have to install jaguar again (archive and install helps).
    I never had such problems with 10.1 damn it,I often must bring cd's to my pc friends so they can copy them to new cd-r's.. It's annoying!:mad:

4. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Are you using any haxies/system mods? Are you doing a clean install of 10.2?

5. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

what app are you using to copy the cds to the hard drive? Toast? i say this, because I recall when copying damaged cds, that a file to file copy can fail and cause problems, but a byte to byte copy does not have as many problems.

6. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

7. Megaquad thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I just drag files to hd and transfer stops..bechball is spinning..all apps seem affected and then it freezes. Howewer, most files copy with no probs,but some of theme have probs..
    It is same with Toast or when playing some videos with quicktime from cd.. I had this problem with old hdd,i have it now..and few times i made clean installation of OS X.
    Yesterday,I copied mp3's to hdd with iTunes and mac freezed and mac couldn't load my user.. (after that Mac OS X loading window with progress bar it stopped).
    I installed security update and 6D42 update,I'll see if anything changed.

8. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

You didn't answer any of my previous questions. Try starting up off the 10.2 cd and repairing permissions and checking the disc. Have you ran fsck -y?

9. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    try this

try making a disc image with dicc copy and then copy the files from the virtual disc. it will be an extra step and take longer, but it is worth a try.

10. 8thDegreeSavage macrumors 6502

Try copying data a little bit at a time..not all at once...Apple has stated that there is an issue with copying large amounts of data to and from the HD.

Try doing it in 100 mb chunks...you should be fine.

11. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I transferred 37gigs over ethernet from my old computer to my new one without a hitch and have had no problems with any of it. So I don't know where you got the large data corruption thing. The only time I've ever heard about data corruption moving large files was with the early B/W G3's. They had some ATA bus problems that as far as I know were fixed with later OS 9 releases and OSX.

12. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

"freezed" isn't a word.

13. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

6D47!!! That is Why...

NeXT Time, try not installing 6D47, 10.2.1 isn't out yet (09/08) so its unsupported software and thats maybe where your prob is...

Just try reintsalling without 10.2.1 upgrade.

14. Megaquad thread starter macrumors 6502a

I apologize for mistake but your post isn't helpful. I would appreciate if you tell me how to spell it instead of bashing, because english is not my primary language.

15. Megaquad thread starter macrumors 6502a

Re: 6D47!!! That is Why...

I am running 6C115,not 6D47 and i reinstalled it few times (new hd,putting os x on old etc.) and in all cases problem was same. Repairing permissions,fsck -y etc. didn't fix the problem. Today i was copying 30 cd's to hd and I had to restart mac 5 times,it's annoying but I'll just wait for 10.2.1 final to come out hoping it'll fix my problem.

16. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

"froze" :D

17. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: Re: 6D47!!! That is Why...

What do you mean by 10.1.5 final coming out? It's out and has been since July.

:confused:

18. Megaquad thread starter macrumors 6502a

oh yeah 10.2 indeed,i cant get bloody 10.2.1 out of my head :D

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm sure your English is better than his Croatian. :)