Jaguar--Do I need it?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by BiggeeC, Jan 3, 2003.

1. BiggeeC macrumors regular

hey everybody. I have an ibook with OSX, not Jaguar. Is it worth buying? When I had a PC, I could just get a burned copy of the latest edition of Windows. Can I do that for my Mac? Thanks
    Chris

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Its not Necessary, but if you can afford it then i believe its well worth the money.

3. dricci macrumors 6502a

I highly recommend buying it, you can get it cheap if you shop around online.

4. Tommy! macrumors regular

I don't really notice much of a difference even though I partitioned and reinstalled from scratch... but many new apple apps require it, so id get it... and yes, you can get a burned copy from a friend if u want. unlike some other oses... I wont name any names of course, but the its initials are Windows :D

5. BiggeeC thread starter macrumors regular

So, ugh, do you know anybody who wants to hook me up with a burned copy?

Chris

6. medea macrumors 68030

medea

"I won't name any names but it's initials are Windows"? Maybe you don't know what initials are my friend......
    Yes get Jaguar, it's well worth it and to take advantage of all the iApps you'll need it, I don't promote piracy but if that's your thing then.....

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Re: Jaguar--Do I need it?

sure you can do that. its illegal . you shouldnt get in the habit of stating your engagements of piracy in public. the wrong person may be reading. just go scrape your pennies and go buy, or look on ebay.

iJon

8. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

i think it's against the forum rules to ask for pirated software. i'm not trying to be a hard-ass, but i paid the money because that's what normal people do when they want a commercially produced good and i felt that the system was worth it.

if your ibook supports quartz extreme i would say definitely buy 10.2, on my 500mhz imac, i did not notice much of a speed increase or wealth of new features, but after 4 months of daily use i would say that it was worth the upgrade.

9. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Basically when someone asks for someone else to pirate Apple software especially system software I just have to ask one question.

Do you really like Apple? It appears you don't. If you did you wouldn't be trying to take money away from them also it's because of people like that we have anti-piracy encription on cds and dvds.

Back to the original question. 10.2 is so much better then all previous releases of OSX that anything previous to 10.2 is dead to me and never existed. It's all crap in comparrison.

10. BiggeeC thread starter macrumors regular

Hey everybody. Sorry to get you all worked up. I wasn't really all that serious. No harm meant. I thought you all would get my tone and understand it wasn't serious. After all, the title of my thread wasn't "Anyone got a burned copy of jaguar?" Sorry for the comotion.

Chris

11. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Here's my thoughts on Jag. i was very excited about it, so i shelled out the cash, and installed it. At first, after being so excited, it was kind of a let-down to not have that big of a change; but months down the road i'm very happy i upgraded. As was said, many programs require it.

It's always best to have the most recent software...

:)
    pnw

12. Tommy! macrumors regular

If you don't make illegal copies of software (which you obviusly don't), and don't want software companies losing money, what is your grudge with anti-piracy encryption? ;)

13. cubist macrumors 68020

Actually I got like a 20% boost in speed from 10.2.3...

... as measured by XBench. But I recall 10.1.5 as being pretty snappy.

14. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

1. Dongle incompatibilities
    2. R & D & engineering costs of anti piracy measures built into software
    3. CDs are not indestrucible, so I copy all my installers when I get them, and file the originals, and use the copies. Not with some CDs.
    4. Annoyance. Legit customers often have to go through draconian routines to use software (dongles, activation, phoning home) where pirate just disable these things.
    5. Bandwidth. The more software phones home, checks networks, etc. The less bandwitdh is available on high traffic networks.
    6. Privacy. I paid...I don't want to register, I don't want to phone home, etc. The fact is, having paid for a product, I often have to divulge far too much information. Why on earth does Apple/Adobe/etc. need my phone number? Bulk mail, unnecessary 'announcements', vertical product offers, etc.

My primary point is that doing things legally is more difficult, and more annoying because of all the kludges involved. The legit user jumps through hoops, the pirate applies a patch, and never has to deal with it again. That is the exact opposite of what should be happening.

15. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

Beautiful, simply beautifully put.

16. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

In my opinion you might want to jsut wait until panther comes out and buy that...it can't be that long...can it?

17. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

now where did i put that ms phone number. i u/g my RAM on an XP machine. oops need it again i u/g my HD. and again i u/g my network card.

i should consider myself lucky. windows actually survived all of these updates.

dont worry. apple doesnt believe in all that stuff. "Dont steal music"

18. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

can you wait?

OutThere has a point - 10.3 is rumored to be out this summer. It may make sense to hold out til then if you can (and you've already waited this long for 10.2). Presumably 10.3 will cost the same as Jag ($130 or whatever). So do you want to pay 130 bucks now and then again in 6 months?

Of course, 10.3 may not be out for awhile longer; if that's the case, please disregard. :p

19. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

My biggest tiff against anit-piracy encryption is that they prevent fair use.

In other words when they encrypt a cd and I can't use it on my computer or they encrypt a DVD so I can't make a copy of it to tape so I can use it in my bedroom.

20. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: can you wait?

I don't see 10.3 as a pay to upgrade version. There are a lot of people who agree with me that apple is starting an alternating scheme.

10.0 costs money, 10.1 does not, 10.2 costs money, 10.3 does not. I think this is a very logical conclusion. Also I look at 10.2 like as a .5 version which have cost money since the days of 8.5. Apple is using this new upgrading scheme so that they can keep the 10.x number as long as possible.

21. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Re: Re: can you wait?

That's sorta like my theory. Every other 0.1 upgrade is free. Just use the coupons.

Here's the original thread with my theory. It's towards the bottom.

Edit - the link actually brings you right to the correct place in the thread. Pretty cool.