Jaguar Erasing Everything

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by swahilibill, Jul 21, 2002.

1. swahilibill macrumors 6502

Will jaguar erase everything I have on my HD, or will I be able to have it just upgrade and keep all of my songs and stuff on their, help would be great, thanks!

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

If you purchase/obtain the 10.2 updater, it will just update your current OS X to 10.2. You won't loose anything.

Apple, unlike m$, makes updating the OS easy and fairly painless (except for the charges).

3. mozez macrumors member

and what makes updated a windows os hard? put cd in, click upgrade, done. not seeing what is so hard. if you think upgrading a windows pc is hard, that says alot about mac users. so please don't say things like that. :)

alpha, i agree with you on alot of subjects so i'm not trying to bash you.

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Try doing it from 98 to 2k, or even nt4 to 2k. To do it right, you really do have to wipe the drive.

The windblows update also takes a lot longer then the update for OS X (or even OS 9.x). Same vintage Mac and peecee, the peecee will take damned close to 30 minutes to update the OS, where the Mac is done in under 15. Update the OS on a blue and white G3 from 8.x to 9.2.2 takes about 10 minutes. Update a peecee from the same era, and you can get lunch before it's finished. Oh, and don't forget to baby-sit the peecee while it is updating. :rolleyes:

5. King Cobra macrumors 603

Once I installed OS X 10.1 on my Cube from the 40x CD-ROM part of my Lacie Hard Drive and the whole thing was easily done in 15 minutes, in probably was done right around 10.

I did find an article off the internet around two years ago, saying that when installing Windoze ME on three peecees one of them had no trouble, one of them had problems, and the other was a whole ƒ'ing nightmare.

Of course, no surprise. :D :p

6. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I installed OSX on my imac in 7mins (fast)

I installed win98 and XP both taking and hour and a bit, is this fair

7. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Are both systems about the same age (same year)?? I wouldn't be surprised if they are. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the peecee was newer. :eek: :D

8. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

lol yes it is :p jk
    it takes an hr on a pc (not vpc) also, it takes 10 min to load the stupid tips n crud for when your installing stuff, 5 min to see if the cd is there 15 min to format the drive to ntfs, and half an hr (to 40 min) for the installation lol
    i remember on winbloze me when i was setting up a puter for someone, it was done setting up and i got onto windows and 5 min or less after windows starts, bsod time
    lol they shouldnt have tried to remove the dos kernal in win me..huge mistake (they successfully did so on xp even tho it still sux)