jaguar install problem - grey screen with circle/slash

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by jvaska, Feb 1, 2003.

1. jvaska macrumors 6502

Feb 18, 2002
    i've installed osx jaguar...i'm running on a g4/400 AGP with LOTS of ram...

installation was fine...but after reboot...

all i get is a grey screen that has a circle in the middle with a slash through it...

any ideas what this means and what i should do to fix this?

also...i have osx10.1.x and it still operates just is on a different partition from jaguar...

2. Jays macrumors member

Feb 4, 2002
    the only time I have seen what you describe is when trying to install Jaguar on a PowerMac 7200 with a G3 upgrade card, I just assumed that the upgrade card was not supported...
  3. drastik macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2002
    its not a roblem with the G4 400 itself, I have one and eerything loaded fine. Your best bet is to do a clean install. I realize that that could be a big issue, lots of back us to do, but it might help. Try booting in with the Jagraur disk and running ermissions repair. you should do that eeven if you get it to work as is anyway.

Did you do the full install of jaguar? Meaning, the second disk too?
  4. crazytom macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2002
    I don't know if this will help...

but try resetting the PRAM (hold option-apple-P-R) and do that until the boot chime has sounded 3 times.
  5. jvaska thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 18, 2002
    well...this is what i'm learning...

the circle slash means it's not mounting the drive...with jaguar that is...the drive does appear when i'm in os10.1.x or i know the drive is ok...

it's not such a big deal...but i DO need to do a clean install (which i don't have time to do this week)...

i'll give the pram a try though...'s a full version...i got two disks...

but...this is the annoying thing...i can no longer run the cd installation sends me a cryptic screen that sends me to os9 or shuts down the says it'sa firmware upgrade thing (which i don't need)'s pretty annoying...

i'll post back when i get some resolve...jv