Jaguar Install Procedure?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by tjwett, Sep 15, 2002.

1. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

Is it safe to use the update installer instead of the clean install to go from 10.1.5 to Jaguar? I don't want to do a clean install and then partition and then install 9.2 which is where I spend most of my time. My apps take a very long time to install and setup. Right now I have the default installation, 10.1.5 and 9.2.2 on the same partition in different satrtup folders. So, is the 10.2 updater safe or is the clean install necessary?

2. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

i've heard that the update install can cause problems/conflicts/speed decreases. the safest thing to do is an clean install. a clean install does not reformat your hd (the erase and install does), it just removes your previous osx installation (all of your os9 stuff is ok). with 10.2, the "archive and install" option will do a clean install of the osx system, but transfer over all of your applications, users, and a few things from the library folder. it will then leave the old system (10.1.5) in a folder labled "old system" or something similar, so that you can copy out any other files you need. there's really no need to do an update install, as an archive install will keep all of your old files and prevent any problems arising from conflicts between parts of the old and new systems.

3. tjwett thread starter macrumors 68000

tjwett

just what i wanted to hear. very helpful. thanks!

4. Paladin macrumors member

I've been having a problem ever since I installed Jaguar (a clean install) on my iBook 700. It seems that every time I start Mail, the program unexpectedly quits before opening. Any help would be great. Thanks.

5. Choppaface macrumors 65816

I've done an update and a clean, and the clean install runs much faster. for some reason it seems like QuartzGL isnt running most of the time on the update. and yes I've done repair permissions for both and all that good stuff...

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

How does QGL "seem" not to be running "most of the time"? One quick way to tell is to see if the mouse cursor has a shadow...

Is your video card supported?

7. Choppaface macrumors 65816

yep it's supported and has worked and all that goodness, but after a while the dock starts to be a bit jittery like in 10.1.5, windows don't open as quickly....needless to say, there's a big difference when i boot into my clean install (where QGL appears to run all the time), and I've used both inst about the same amount. I'm not sure what's up, but my guess is it might be using something from the old 10.1.5 installation or something, cuz its a pretty noticeable diff. the mouse doesn't loose the shadow or anything, you just start to see some lag and animations are less smooth. the upgrade install was just as snappy to start, but after the first restart I noticed it appeared to loose something.

dual 500 G4 1 gig ram 32 meg radeon in AGP slot
    clean install => original quantum drive
    upgrade install => seagate 15k rpm cheetah

8. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Do you only notice it after the machine has been on for an extended period of time? Or does the upgrade install simply degrade in performance even after restarts?

Slow performance after a machine has been on for a while can be explained by memory leaks. You might want to check any 3rd party "haxies" or preference panes that are running on the upgrade install.

9. Choppaface macrumors 65816

the first time it booted it was great. the next 5 or so reboots were slow. there was one or two good boots in there, but otherwise it's just been slow.

being on for an extended period of time doesn't appear to change it, and if there are memory leaks then they must be small cuz i don't seem to get any pageouts

as far as 'haxies' go, both installations have (well, had...) ASM and tinkertool, and had windowshade X for a short amount of time (until I found out that it didnt work anymore he he :D)

once I get it's blown power supply fixed, I'm going to do a clean install of everything.....for the upgrade i didn't reinstall any software, so that could also cause a performance hit (however, the apps weren't reinstalled for the clean install either)

10. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

The cursor is supposed to have a shadow?

11. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Yeah, it's supposedly a quick way to tell if your machine is QE enabled.

Just look for a windows-esque shadow under your mouse pointer...

12. Choppaface macrumors 65816

i've heard mixed results about that, but i get no shadow on my lombard nor my dad's PB G4 (first version w/ crappy vid card), so it must work most of the time :D