Jaguar Installation? I need help you guys

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by slooksterPSV, Oct 11, 2004.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Ok, I have a few questions about how I should install Jaguar.
    1. Should I zap my PRAM first?
    2. Should I just do a clean install or should I partition? If partition, how do I do so? I have 17GB left.
    3. I think I'll partition bc I like elements, but how do I start the installation? Do I put the CD in and restart the computer or do I put in the CD and start a program or what?
    4. Anything else I should know about how to do it?
    5. I'm getting iLife '03 w/Jaguar (all for (Jaggy and iLifey) $34.99 +$5 for shipping so $39.99) so does iPhoto compare up to photoshop elements in the scheme that I can remove basic things like red eye and crop it and that?\
    6. This one is an off question, but I have JPG files that on PC take 27KB's but on mac it takes 438KB's each, what the heck is with that?
    7. Other comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

What do you currently have on your computer? just so you know... partitioning will erase everything you have, so make a back up if you do.

3. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

back it up to what, this is my first mac so.. yeah, I don't have OS 9 cd's so I'm guessing once I install OS X I'm stuck? I guess I could go back to OS 7 OMG HOW SAD! No I'll stick with OS X even if it takes a half-an-hour to load. I guess I could load Basilisk on this, and connect the apple up and try that... I'll try it here in a minute. I'll grab my cords

4. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Isn't there a program called Disk Copy where I can make disk images and that? Yeah I have it on a PM G3 OS 8.1 disc. I'll try using that first. Thx

5. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Use Carbon Copy Cloner. Search for it on Versiontracker.com

6. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

iPhoto can enhance, crop, retouch, reduce red eye, convert to sepia or B & W, and adjust brightness and contrast. That's about it. Not as powerful as PS Elements, but its utility depends on what you want to do with it. If it's just cropping and red eye reduction, you may find iPhoto easier to use than PS Elements. Keep in mind, though, that with large photo libraries, iPhoto from iLife '03 tends to get sluggish.

7. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

i think putting it in the freezer might help :D

only joking

8. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Oh well, I'll drop the $600 worth of software thats on it, and do a clean install. That sounds good, btw, Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) is shareware and only works for OS X.2 and above

9. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

If you have a hard drive over 8 GB in size and have more than one partition on it, the partition containing OS X must be within the first 8 GB of space or you will not be able to run OS X. (If you are creating the partion within OS X, it must be 7.45 GB or smaller as reported by Disk Utility, because sometimes a GB is billion bytes and sometimes it's 1,073,741,824 bytes.)

so
    1. back up your stuff.
    2. Boot from 10.2 cd
    3. erase your hd, with the first partition = 7.4 GB
    4. install osx on the first partition.
    5. use software update to upgrade to 10.2.8
    6. copy back the files you backed up
    7. be happy :)

10. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Ok, that took a while, it took me 4 hours to install it. If I would have followed your guys' rules I would have got it done. So every time I partitioned it I had to restart. The one partition I mad 8GB and it bumped it up to 8.03, I restarted and had to change it again to 7GB. Well, it finally started to install and took about a half-an hour. It installed and I love it, its so much faster than Mac OS 9.2.2. Now there are a few things I'd like to change w/it, but I need a Pismo and Panther to do that. Anyone have a Pismo for under 400? Just kidding, I want a PowerMac.