Jaguar Instillation size?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Billicus, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

I have a copy of Jaguar, but I'm unable to update, due to the fact that Lexmark hasn't released drivers for their all-in-one X73. That's a totally different story.
    I was wondering, how much space does a standard upgrade take, and how much does an archive and install take? I've only got 1.38 GB avaliable. I could destroy things, but don't particullarly want too - as I don't have a Firewire HD Drive at the time.
    One other thing, should I avoid archive and install, as it makes new everything? Could this be a problem with application support, and Norton Systemworks 2.0? Don't flame me for the use of it, just try to answer me question please.

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I did a clean install on both my internal HD and an external partition (for maintenance) and they were both relatively small... if i remember at all right, a clean install with apps is ~.9 gig.

Clean installs work better i think, i noticed the machine running a lot faster afterwords... plus i added a swap partition, which helped... I'd say do a clean install if you possibly can...

As for norton,i'm having some problems with them myself after i upgraded to jaguar... :mad:

pnw

3. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

I think if you leave out all the Unix commands (don't know exactly why one would want to do this but to each his own...) you can actually get the install size down to 450ish MB.

4. Billicus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Billicus

With Norton, I was wondering if it is because of the Application Support Folder inside the Library folder at the root level of your hard drive. I realized that Norton had thrown some files in there. Some have root permissions - and perhaps they weren't moved over during the clean install as you did.

5. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

Re: Jaguar Instillation size?

the best way is to make like you're going to install and see if it will let you do either one of these options. the installer will tell you right off the bat if you have enough space for any type of install. that's the best way to tell rather than speculating whether it will let you or not.

as someone else said, you can turn off localizations and bsd if you're really pressed for space.

if your hard drive is full or neraly full, the performance of your system will degrade.