Jaguar, Land Rover ads halted in gay media, Ford confirms

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Dec 5, 2005.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

��������������������Wow- this is scary guys.

http://www.advocate.com/news_detail_ektid23064.asp

Jaguar, Land Rover ads halted in gay media, Ford confirms

The antigay American Family Association claimed a cultural victory on Thursday and called off its threatened boycott of Ford Motor Co. On Friday, Ford spokesman Mike Moran confirmed to Advocate.com that the company will stop advertising its Jaguar and Land Rover brands in gay publications but insisted it was strictly a business decision.

The Dearborn, Mich., automaker came under fire from the AFA in May for its longtime efforts to increase LGBT workplace diversity and support gay rights causes. Ford has long been a regular advertiser within gay media, including The Advocate, and has donated significant sums to LGBT causes and nonprofit groups such as the Human Rights Campaign.

Threatened with a boycott by the Mississippi-based AFA, Ford and some of its dealers agreed to negotiate, and the AFA announced in June that it would hold off on its planned action. On Thursday, AFA announced the boycott would be canceled altogether.

"They've heard our concerns; they are acting on our concerns. We are pleased with where we are," said Donald Wildmon, AFA’s chairman, in a statement. "Obviously there are still some small matters of difference, as people will always have, but generally speaking, we are pleased with the resultsâ€â€�and therefore the boycott that had been suspended [is] now officially ended."

Specific terms of any formal agreement between the AFA and Fordâ€â€�and whether any such agreement has in fact been reachedâ€â€�remain unclear.

When first contacted, Ford spokesman Moran referred Advocate.com to the AFA statement, suggesting that the company had no disagreement with Wildmon's assertions. In a second conversation he confirmed that the company would no longer advertise Jaguar and Land Rover products in the gay media, saying that the decision was strictly "business."

"In all cases, we review this issue from a business perspective in regards to advertising," Moran said. "Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury [brands] did not advertise in gay publications anyway. At this time, Jaguar and Land Rover will not do so going forward.� He added that Volvo will still advertise in gay publications because the company believes it's an effective strategy for that market.

Detroit carmakers are facing tough economic times across the board, Moran pointed out. On Friday, The Wall Street Journal reported that Ford plans to shut five North American plants that employ 7,500 workers. On Thursday, the company said its total U.S. vehicle sales in November fell by 15%.

Moran would not give further details on any agreement between Ford and the AFA, nor would he confirm that such an agreement existed. “Some months ago we began a constructive dialogue with them, just as we do with all other customers and interest groups," he said. "While we don’t agree on all issues, we expect the dialogue to continue so that we understand each other better.�

According to a list of demands on AFA’s Web site, the organization insisted that Ford and all of its brands stop donating cash, vehicles, and endorsements to gay social activities. This includes donations to pride celebrations and groups such as the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, the Human Rights Campaign, and the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force. AFA says those groups have received contributions from Ford in the past.

Whether such sponsorship dealsâ€â€�in which Ford brands are given visibility by nonprofit groups and at LGBT events in return for donationsâ€â€�will continue, Moran could not say.

Comment on Ford's announcement is expected soon from HRC, GLAAD, and the Task Force over the weekend or early next week, but none was prepared to make a statement by close of business on Friday.

The AFA has said it reserves the right to reinstate the boycott if it feels Ford has not met its expectations.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I know. Ford doesn't even sound remotely sorry about it. I'm afraid this is a really bad sign of things to come.

4. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Read it again.

6. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

That's just so wrong and enfuriating.

It reminds me of this quote from bbc news regarding the new same sex civil union law in the U.K.
    Some of the christian groups are these days greatest evil. Except from terrorists, I can't think of any other large organised grouping of people that do and wish more harm to other humans.

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

There being the reason I despise religion.

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I just don't get it! What do they think they're accomplishing by hurting gay people? This is not Christianity- it's evil, pure and simple.

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

They should see whether a boycott would actually do harm.

When the Southern Baptists decided to boycott DisneyWorld, it didn't seem to make much difference. Besides, Ford and GM drivers are often 5th generation Ford and GM drivers and they wouldn't pick the other side, let alone a "furn" car from one of those countries their grandfathers fought "durn" the WWII. :p

Of course, I wouldn't expect that Ford want any negative publicity so they'll suck wind for everyone.

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

couple observations...

first, reading between the lines, it seems ford will still be advertisting in the advocate et. al., just not certain brands.

second, ford did not state whether grants to gay events would continue or not. perhaps their future behavior there is the real test for whether or not the advertising decision was coerced.

if it turns out to be, then i say shame on ford motors.

11. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Regardless of either- it's still really creepy zim.

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

without minimizing how disgusting this is, why is it creepy? groups, especially religious ones, threaten product boycotts all the time.

is it because ford apparently caved?

13. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I think the creepy part is that some of these religious groups are so focused on this issue that they go out of their way to make other people's lives miserable. It's also creepy that they're so many that their efforts seem to pay off.

14. Lau Guest

That's what I think is really bad about this. Would be interesting if gay guys and lesbians decided to boycott Ford now, and see which had the bigger impact....

edit: didn't mean to sound as if crazy religious groups being viciously homophobic wasn't bad, I was just pointing out the particularly disturbing bit in this story :eek:

15. aquajet macrumors 68020

This is why I drive a bright yellow Beetle with flowers. :)

How much leverage does this group of clowns at the AFA really have? Does the threat of a boycott really mean anything? With 2.9 million members, who really cares considering there are more gay people living in the US?

Ford can **** off.

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Everyone has an Agenda, whats new. No matter what side you take you piss off folks. Solution is dont take sides in the first place.

17. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly, thanks Gekko. And my wish is that Christianity would start focusing on doing positive things, instead of trying to hurt those with whom they disagree.

18. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

The AFA tried to boycott Disney for 9 years, only to quite in May 2005. And they had the balls to claim that they made their point. The Disney boycott raised little concern from anyone and was out of the media spotlight for about a decade. Disney still made profits, people still went to the parks and purchased Disney items and all.

I wonder how really affective the AFA boycott would have been if Ford did not succumb to their demands.

19. aquajet macrumors 68020

They're not all hypocrites. You just don't hear about the good ones too often.

20. emw macrumors G4

emw

From their point of view, this is a positive thing. As far as they are concerned, gays and lesbians are a problem and this is their way of resolving it.

Not saying I agree with them - I don't - and I'm pissed at Ford for caving in to their demands. Thing is, most of my gay friends drive Fords :confused:

21. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Well- I know that. But the wackos have taken over the religion.

22. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

These same kinds of people whine about Christians being persecuted. Well, yeah, they would be persecuted if they keep persecuting others. They seem to think that it's okay to hurt whomever else as long as they don't have to be responsible for their own actions. Shame.

23. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

i fail to see how getting ford to stop advertising is a victory. "now, the homosexual community will have little or no focused exposure to ford's latest releases! huzzah!"

if thinking this group's particular action is stupid, arrogant, bigoted, and just plain wrong is "persecuting christianity", then i guess yes, i am persecuting christianity.

24. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Trust me, they will take it that way. It's part of the reason I've abandoned the idea of going to church. It's only a positive experience for those who are willing to shut out reality. I'm not against religion--Buddhism is great but Christianity, Judaism, and Islam all come from a mindset of hate and judgment. The fact that they seem to hate each other simply makes it sadly comical. :(

25. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Is it just me or is this AFA kind of acting like a neo-pacifist klan?

"Now, we here y'all'r sellin' goods to them homos, and we don't much appreciate that kinda behavior 'round here. Me an' the boys might have t' do somethin' 'bout that." :looks menacing:

I noticed that they do have the Orwellian name, though, as their mission seems to be to deny the title of "family" to people different from them.