Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Georgl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
Hello experts!

I have an old G5 2,0Ghz (I think it's the Q37) and it runs with Tiger. I have to run an old scanner software that only works with Jaguar. I bought a Jaguar-Version on the bay and it does the restart, but cannot boot from the CD and therefore cannot start the installation process, either.

The seller didn't mentioned anything, but I noticed that the back of the CD-shell says "2Z603-7378-A Mac mini Media Multilingual". Does that mean it isn't the full version but just a recovery disc for a mac mini? Is that the reason it doesn't work?

Any other way to get the full version of Jaguar?

Thank you very much in advance!

Nov 28, 2010
located
That CD/DVD id model specific and only works with Mac minis, but also know, that the first Mac mini came with Mac OS X 10.3 Panther (10.3.7).

If you have this PowerMac, you need to contact Apple for Restore DVDs for that machine, as it came with 10.2.7 and there will probably be no Retail version of Jaguar coming with that, only earlier versions.

If you have this, this or this PowerMac, nothing will really work, as they came with Mac OS X 10.3 Panther and Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger (10.3.4 and 10.4 and 10.4.2), thus there will be no drivers for Jaguar for that hardware.

If you want to narrow down your model, look for the Model Identifier via this method:
To find out what Mac OS X version you run, click :apple: > About This Mac:
IDyourMacOS.png
To find out, what exact Mac model you use, click :apple: > About This Mac > More Info > Hardware Overview:
IDyourMacModel.png
To see a more elaborate image explaining the above steps, click here.
To see a more detailed video tutorial showing the above steps, click here (2 MB, 23s, .mp4).​

Georgl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
Thank you very much!

My G5 doesn't seem to work with Jaguar, what a shame... Not even retail?

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Jaguar isn't going to run on a G5 unless its the original model with a special version of 10.2.7 made for the G5 that was on the original OS install disks that came with the machine.

Georgl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
It's a Heidelberg / Linotype-Hell Tango, it runs with Linocolor (on a G4 with OS9), Silverfast (but 2000€...), Newcolor on a Win XP PC and propably with another version of Newcolor for Mac (Jaguar).

So I have to stick with Newcolor on Win XP - it has a few bugs that have not been solved (development was stopped shortly after introduction) and that might be not apparent on the Mac version - that's what I wanted to try.

Georgl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
No the Mac-version of Newcolor only works till 10.2.8
Vuescan doesn't work with professional scanners, sadly...

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
There's no Silverfast/Newcolor alternative for OS X unfortunately.
Personally I loved LinoColor. I worked on Saphir, Topaz, Tango and Chromagraph years ago (those were the days...:cool:).
I'd stay with G4 and OS 9 for LinoColor (MDD 2003 would be the best for that purpose).
As you've said, NewColor doesn't work under 10.3 and later... and nothing can be done about it. You can try to install Jag on supported Mac, update it to max version and clone HDD to your G5. Maybe that way it will work... can't tell for sure.
BTW, I'd love to have Tango in my home studio... I'm jealous.

Georgl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
A Chromagraph? Cool, sometimes you get offered working ones for 1€ - if you transport them yourself (700kg)... ;-)
I will stick with Newcolor on PC and Linocolor as backup, it's limited to 8bit color depth.
I try to start a blog to collect & share my experiences with the Tango. It's still in an early stage, though, will update first scaning tests this week.

skinniezinho

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
Just another suggestion, since you have tiger and the software you need runs on OS9, why don't you try running it in classic mode?
And about Jaguar version, maybe you could try a virtual machine wich jaguar...maybe with QEmu (that's the only free virtual machine I know for powerpc).
Hope it helps

Georgl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
Thank you!

The scanner + SCSI-combination is very picky, I have little hope that any kind of emulation would work... But thank you anway!

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Just another suggestion, since you have tiger and the software you need runs on OS9, why don't you try running it in classic mode?
And about Jaguar version, maybe you could try a virtual machine wich jaguar...maybe with QEmu (that's the only free virtual machine I know for powerpc).
Hope it helps

It won't help. Classic environment will work for software, but not for hardware. SCSI scanner won't be recognized.

Georgl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
I will think about getting another "native Jaguar"-operating Mac - right now I have three "historical" computers for three "historical" scanners...

I've scanned a 8x10"-slide @ 2400ppi (yes, it's visibly sharper even downsampled to 1200ppi) which results in a 1.7GB-file (8Bit!) and this was done with a G4! It took me hours to download it to my USB-stick (USB 1.0)... What a nightmare... but shooting 8x10" isn't for the unpatient, either ;-)

skinniezinho

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
I will think about getting another "native Jaguar"-operating Mac - right now I have three "historical" computers for three "historical" scanners...

I've scanned a 8x10"-slide @ 2400ppi (yes, it's visibly sharper even downsampled to 1200ppi) which results in a 1.7GB-file (8Bit!) and this was done with a G4! It took me hours to download it to my USB-stick (USB 1.0)... What a nightmare... but shooting 8x10" isn't for the unpatient, either ;-)

You can always add a pci usb 2.0 card :p

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA

A high end G4 I think is gonna be your best bet, I don't think Jaguar even has the basic drivers for a G5.

PCi USB 2.0 Card ftw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.