Jaguar on New 17" iMacs at Apple Store

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by nemo, Jul 29, 2002.

1. nemo macrumors newbie

I was at the Apple Store in Cambridge, Massachusetts yesterday and noticed 10.2 was running on the 17" iMacs. After all the hype it was great to actually take it for a test run. Speed is definitely improved, but I think I was most impressed by the new Sherlock (which includes movie time listings by theater with a trailer) and the return of spring-loaded folders.

Nemo

2. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

Yep

The new iMacs look pretty good especially with 10.2. I know, I'll buy jaguar.

3. brogers macrumors regular

I was just in the Apple Store in Durham NC in Saturday and got a chance to take the new 17" iMac for a spin. It was great...but no 10.2 anywhere in the store...:(

4. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I've been planning to go to the Clarendon store for over a week now and haven't made it - I'll have to go soon to see if they have it on their machines. I'd love to take it for a test drive. Maybe at lunch.

D

6. King Cobra macrumors 603

I was at the Apple Store in Tice's Corner on July 20 with my father and he went browsing on the internet for about 30 seconds using one of the new iMacs (yep, 17 inch). He was impressed. Honestly, I didn't take note of what the OS was.

In the store there were also no Jaguar boxes. But I managed to get there early enough to watch about 30 minutes of a front-row demo of 10.2. That was impressive.

I still think the best part of the new iMacs would be the white mice. :p :cool:

7. djniche macrumors regular

i was in in both the clarendon and tysons stores in VA and both have now the 17" with jaguar installed. I gave it a test and improves speed for sure and also the new sherlock is excellent and easy navigation.

I asked a salesperson and they said that the 17" will be in this week - I'm expecting to get a call to go pick one up as soon as they come in. They will hard to come by since I saw many people signing up to reserve one. At $2k a piece this will be a good sale product for apple. As soon as I get one I'll give the details. It's for sure that jaguar will be installed on the system.

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

You're that sure Jaguar will come preinstalled on the 17" LCD iMac? That would be strange, I don't think Apple would do it and not make it available as an upgrade for everyone else.

But who knows?

9. dynamicd macrumors 6502

I think chances are that Jaguar will be pre-installed on the new imacs. Why would apple make new customers buy an upgrade just a week or two after they get their new computer?

10. djniche macrumors regular

I spoke to a few store employees and they asure me that the jaguar will be installed on the new 17". It would make sense that all new products after MWNY will have jaguar installed. paying 2k i would spect the latest OS installed on any machine.

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Then the obvious question is why don't they make it available for everyone now? Why do we have to wait to get an upgrade?

12. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

maybe we won't have to wait. Next week is the begining of August, so wveryone is expecting new Powermacs, I hope to god that they ship with X.2, and I hope the do it next Monday. I suppose its possible that Apple was being misleading with the 24th statement, but may no, maybe new hardware gets new goodies first. Maybe they need more time to press disks? I dunno anymore, the whole thing is a whirl wind.;)

13. swahilibill macrumors 6502

They are running 6c98

14. dynamicd macrumors 6502

15. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

I went to CompUSA the other day and tried 10.1. It was okay. I wonder when they'll have 10.2, if they don't have it already. Hmmm.

16. coolocity macrumors regular

COMP USA

Comp USA out in Syracuse took the 15" iMac and the PowerMac off the shelves bc "kids were touching them." It's a shame, don't think I'll be buying things from them in the future. It's a store model, there is nothing wrong with kids trying em out.

- John

17. M_T_Air macrumors newbie

Build 6C106 is out now...

If the iMacs were running Jaguar it is obviously a beta that they are using because it still hasn't gone to GM yet, meaning it is still in beta stage...That means that they couldn't ship the new 17" iMacs with Jaguar pre-installed because it's still in beta stage and they would have to ship the system discs and restore discs with a beta. No, it will ship with 10.1.5 right now and then people can upgrade to 10.2 when it is released for everyone...

18. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

i was just there today and 10.2 is in fact on the new iMac. it is a beta...6c98 to be exact.

as much as i would have doubted it before,it seems that the most impressive app to me was none other than iChat. it is just plain nice and easy to use.

19. goglamosh macrumors member

an Apple rep. told me that Jaguar will not ship on the new 17" iMacs. and i agree, iChat is a cool app.