Jaguar on new macs?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by PandorasVox, Jul 19, 2002.

1. PandorasVox macrumors newbie

I've been searching for the answer to this on all the mac sites i know of, but i'm having no luck thusfar - when is apple going to start selling macs with jaguar preinstalled, rather than as an over 200$ (canadian) upgrade? i'm getting a 17" iMac as my grad present, and i'm trying to decide whether to wait for a bit or get it soon. thanks to any who reply :-]

2. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

hmm i'm not too sure if the new macs will have jag on it or not

i would expect apple to just put x.1.5 for now until late august since they might have to work out bugs on the current versions of jag beta
    i'm reading the applestore (canada) emac page and it says bout itunes2 so it probably means it includes os 10.1.x probably cuz jag has itunes3 i think

just wait till early sept maybe ;)
    thats what i might be doing IF i do get a powermac (right now it sounds like i might not be getting a mac anymore :()

3. iGav macrumors G3

They'll start shipping with 'Jaguar' in the next month I would have thought....

That said though, if you do purchase an iMac G4 now, you'll only have to pay for the cheap upgrade not the full version.........

I'd buy now..... and spend the a few dollars on the updater CD when it's released..... rather than wait a month...... but it depends how desperate you are....

Welcome to MR by the way....... hope you enjoy the banter!! ;) :)

4. Draft macrumors 6502

Just FYI, the upgrade if you buy a mac right now costs 19.95 USD

Draft

5. PandorasVox thread starter macrumors newbie

Great!

thanks all :-]

i hadn't heard about the 20$ (well 30$ here) upgrade option. that's not bad at all compared to 130$! i can even afford it, so as soon as i get my room clean (the one condition on getting the conputer, which is to be my grad gift, is that i get my pigsty clean so my mum doesn't have to deal with it while i'm away at univ), i'm gonna head on over to b.mac and get my 17" imac... *drools*

ps. thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. i can see myself spending a lot of time at this site *grin*

6. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

As for the 17" Imac, there are soon to be 2 in my family, they are on order as we speak. Twisted the old mothers arm to get her to buy one for the house......as if she expected me to use the 5500 when i come home from collage. :D

7. Draft macrumors 6502

Do you mean college? Do you go to college? ;)

8. JW Pepper macrumors regular

I would suggest that after August 14 Apple will provide Jaguar free to buyers of new hardware if it is not pre-installed at that time. I would wait as it is better to have a fresh install rather than an upgrade.