Jaguar? Pantera? Tiger?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by The monster, May 27, 2004.

1. The monster macrumors newbie

May 20, 2004
    Could someoane tell me what is the benefits, difference or reasons why I should buy one of this systems? Im new in the "MAC" comunity and I do not understand why get so exited about the new things that mac put in the markt... I want to stand why everyone is crazy for Pantera, what does this sistem do? please help...
  2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    Each new version of OSX has new features and pretty dramatic performance increases. In addition, some software (especially some of Apple's newer programs like iChat AV) require an up to date version of OSX.

You certainly don't HAVE to pay for the OS updates, but I think they are well worth the money for me.
  3. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    It's much like how people are excited over Longhorn (only Tiger will be out later this year or early next year instead of 2007ish). I remember people were equally excited when Win2000 came out and WinXP. Don't get me started on Win95 - the OS that revolutionized computer gaming.

Plus this is a macrumor site. I'm sure at least 95% of us in real life (or elsewhere on the internet) are not seen as this excited about OSX.

Jaguar = OSX2
    Panther = OSX3
    Tiger = OSX4 (not out yet)
  4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    i think the simplest answer is, when Apple updates OS X so much (10.2 to 10.3 for example), along with the functionality updates, they include some really cool crap; and we, being computer users, can't get enough really cool crap. Some of it's just eye-candy, they redesigned this and that, and part of it's enhancing, like Expose, a feature added in Panther that lets you manipulate windows in new ways.

So yeah, most non-computer-geeks probably wouldn't care very much. But, once you get addicted to OS X, you inevitably get drawn in by the coolness factor...

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    The biggest draw for me is the new features Apple puts into every major release of Mac OS X, such as Exposé in Panther. I am a compulsive upgrader - I'd upgrade my Mac OS version even if the new features weren't particularly useful to me, just so I could take advantage of any Apple software that required the new version. Also, I must point out that it's "Mac", not "MAC" - I figured I should point this out so someone doesn't embarrass you later by pointing this out in a not-so-nice way.
  6. abhishekit macrumors 65816

Nov 6, 2003
    akron , ohio
    and its panther not pantera..which is heavy metal band :D :D , both are good though..
  7. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

Nov 30, 2003

I agree completely. I always look forward to new features.