Jaguar/Panther Users Left?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CubaTBird, May 5, 2005.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

Just curious, who here is still using Jaguar or Panther? Id be interesting to find out reasons why I guess...

2. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

No, I think this would be a "complain about being cheap" or "wine about something your not familiar with" thread.

3. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

We're still using Panther on a couple of PowerBooks and a G5 Power Mac (Panther Server) at work. Until one of our big data processing apps (IDL) goes 64-bit on OS X, we'll have no justification to upgrade. While Tiger's great, it doesn't otherwise warrant the upgrade for what we do. When IDL does go 64-bit (and I'd expect to see it in their next release since they already support this on Sun and SGI), we'll be able to immediately take advantage of it on the G5 with our huge datasets. We'll order Tiger Server the day that happens.

At home, of course, I'm running Tiger. :D

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

My Lombard G3 PB is still on Panther. Tiger might conceivably install, but it's not supported. If I read of enough Lombard users ("enough" = 1) who get it to work, I'll do it.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

im still using Panther, until i can scrap together the money for Tiger, im a very broke college student right now

6. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Me. I'm using Panther.

Why?

1) I'm not sure if my applications I use will work on Tiger, such as: Adobe CS, Macromedia Studio MX 2004, Office 2004. But I'm sure they do work as I've read on the board that they do.

2) Printer drivers. Not sure if my Epson 2200 printer will be compatible with Tiger as of yet.

3) And while this isn't a "big deal", I'm not sure if my graphics card is compatible with Core Image. I have an ATI Radeon 9800 PRO Mac Special Edition, 256MB vRAM (in sig). I know the "ripple effect" shouldn't be a deciding factor in an OS, but still.....

Actually if anyone could clarify any of those reasons, that would be cool!

And I actually have never upgraded my OS. I still have OS X 10.3.4. I'm just nervous about something going wrong. I know there are relatively few cases where things go wrong, but still a lil worried :(

7. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

My friend still used 10.2.8 - but he doesnt know about Macs, which is why I'm jealous lol.

8. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

1) No money
    2) I have heard that Tiger is buggy - cake isn;t good when it has fungus on it...;)
    3) Still happy with Panther
    4) No time ATM to screw with Tiger

Mine reasons. As soon as summer roles around and 4.1 is released, I think that I will work together the initiative to go and buy it...

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I get the ripple with my 9600/128MB RAM (9600, not 9600XT, etc.). I am certain your 9800 Pro would work just fine.

10. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

I've got two routes for updates/upgrades-
    I'm either going to be the very first person installing it (nearly, anyway) or if i'm not, I'll wait for a .1 update. I missed tiger night due to the no edu price at retail stores, so i'm in no rush now to upgrade. but i imagine within a few weeks i'll be doing it.

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Unless you needed a special driver in Panther (perhaps you did), it'll work fine in Tiger.

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm waiting for application compatibility, 10.4.1, and my copy of Tiger.

13. madget macrumors newbie

Still on Panther (Dual 2.5 G5) – probably won’t change over until the FCP 5 upgrade comes out… then I’ll change the whole system over. It’s been fun reading the Max OS X Forum, though.

14. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

+1

I also usually wait for a dot release or two til all the kinks are worked out.

15. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

a whoppin $73 and some change is too much? :p Heck even I managed to squeeze that out heh

16. Angrist macrumors 6502

I'm still using Panther on my Pbook and iMac..... did a clean install of Tiger on the Powermac. I'll play with it for a week or so and then decide between clean installs or upgrade installs for the others or a wait for 10.4.1

17. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

And what do you use? :p

18. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

meager job and pilling bills makes Tiger the least of my worries right now, i have more pressing things that i am spending my money on right now....

19. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I still use Panther. If it ain't broke... ;) I'm in no rush for Tiger, maybe I'll eventually upgrade. I have no complaints with Panther so I really have no reason to upgrade - nothing in Tiger really blows me away.

20. nekkets macrumors newbie

ditto

21. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Well, with a name likes yours, you always have change left. ;)

22. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

Still using Panther, 'cuz it works!

but reallly it is because my dad has not gotten around to ordering Tiger yet.

23. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Wow, that's quite clever - impressive. <applause>

And the scary thing is, I got that joke - ah, the fun of being an Engineer... :cool:

24. Cheese macrumors 6502

Cheese

In the refrigerated section at your grocer
    I am running Jaguar on the DV 400 iMAc, and Panther on the month and a half old G5 imac. I just couldn't wait for Tiger to get a new iMac, so I am out a lot of cash if I want try to bring my *new* machine up to current specs. Thanks for the thread. It gives me a chance to whine.

"I am Cheese. Add crackers and the whine will magically appear!"

25. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Still using Panther on this machine (Dual 1.8 GHz G5), but I'm using Tiger on my PowerBook. I love Tiger, but I'm in the middle of an important video project right now, and can't afford to have any problems. I'll upgrade this machine to Tiger after I've finished and delivered the video I'm working on. That is assuming FCP 4.5, etc work under Tiger. Don't have the money (or the incentive) to upgrade to the new Final Cut Pro Studio.