Jaguar Qs - wheel mouse & HP Deskjet printing problems

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by alex_ant, Oct 1, 2002.

1. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

So, all of a sudden, going from 10.1.5 to 10.2.1, my web browser mouse wheel scrolling is ACCELERATED!! ARGH! This is the most annoying thing ever! How do I turn it off?!?!?

Oh, and I can't print. I have an HP DeskJet 842C with the latest HP drivers (which are supposed to be compatible with Jaguar) but whenever I go to print something, the Print Center gives me the spinning blue candy cane on "Opening printer connection" and then stops the print job. BUT, when I print a test page using the HP-provided print utility, it works fine. Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks,

And DIE ACCELERATED MOUSE WHEEL SCROLLING DIE!!!

2. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Are you sharing the printer between two machines? I had the exact same problem with my DeskJet 920C when printing from my iBook (printer being connected to the iMac, shared over Airport). I was unable to cancel print jobs on the iBook, but I opened the Print Manager on the iMac, was able to cancel all the pending jobs, and everything worked fine from there.

3. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Thing to try:

Use the HP installer to uninstall and re-install the drivers so they're "fresh".

Boot from the Jag disk 1 CD and use the disk utilities to "Fix Permissions".

We have an HP Deskjet 960C and a Deskjet D series multi-function and they both work via Rendezvous flawlessly after fixing permissions. Now if we just had an updated driver for the Designjet 500PS...... :rolleyes:

4. alex_ant thread starter macrumors 68020

alex_ant

First I uninstalled the printer driver, then I rebooted with the Jaguar CD and fixed permissions. I thought the problem would be gone when I saw that /private/etc/cups/printers.conf had incorrect permissions, but fixing that and then rebooting and reinstalling the printer drivers had no effect.

The printer is not on a network - it's connected straight to USB port #2 on the back of the computer. I can always reboot into OS 9 to print things, but really... who wants to do that. :)

Thanks for the help though,
    Alex