Jaguar questions...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by tjwett, Aug 1, 2002.

1. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

OS X is pretty looking but the slowness kills me. I know Jaguar is supposed to be faster but how much? What I want to know is will it ever be fast like 9.2? I have a few G4s with a gig of RAM each and OS9 is ridiculously snappy. OS X is kind of, bleh. And I get the "spinning beachball of death" all the time. Lots of force-quitting, lots of kernal panics. The more I use X, the more it does not seem to be the rock-solid thing it is supposed to be. It also seems to be alot more "in the way" than 9 was. The whole white windows and aqua look are really distracting too.I see they made the Jaguar dock gray. Looks much better. Is there any type of theme or skin to get rid of all this white? Anyone who has a Jag beta feel that it's a major improvement with speed, environment, etc.?

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jaguar is snappy. There is a huge improvement on a G3/400 and I would imagine a smaller improvement on the G4 machines. Carbon is much faster. The beach ball has been changed but rarely appears anyway. The Finder is multi-threaded, similar to what Apple did with the Finder in Mac OS 8.x (?), which gave it some snappiness finally.

You'll be pleased.

3. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Speed coming

Jaguar has pretty much been massively retweaked. The finder is multithreaded now and rewritten. BSD has been upgreaded to 4.4. GCC 3.1 Compiler support should add a %5-10 speed improvement for apps recompiled with it.

Quartz Extreme will help offload work from the CPU. I expect that by say 10.3 OS X should be faster than OS9 but more powerful of course. There's a large PDF presentation of Quartz extreme explaining the Vertex Shaders and other "geeky" features of Quartz Extreme. Let me know if you want it.

TJ there's a program called "Duality" that allows for OSX theming. I can't find the link but there's some NICE Themes that might help you with the bright Aqua problems. Initially I wasn't going to explore themes but these things are cool. Search Goolgle for Duality...you'll probably find these themes and more.

4. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

My iMac400 Server seemed to benifit from a huge huge performance boost in most areas with the WWDC build and I expect that the GM version is as good. I didn't test it on any other machine, although on Monday I am going to install it on a DP500.

5. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

on a G4 that supports quartz extreme, there should be a much bigger difference than you see on any G3.

6. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

tjwett: maybe you got some errors that make it crash all over the place...have you done general maintenance?

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I think that the G4 optimizations are so good that the gains will be fewer, even with Quartz Extreme. I definitely know that the G3 gains are huge.

8. tjwett thread starter macrumors 68000

tjwett

yeah, i keep my machine very "clean" and run a good disk utility often. i can't explain it.

9. tjwett thread starter macrumors 68000

tjwett

Re: Speed coming

i've been running Duality with a simple grey theme and it's actually resulted in faster performance. and i added Silk and Shadow Killer for even more help. i guess the aqua interface is pretty hungry. much better now. thanks!