Jaguar reinstall--this is weird

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Daveman Deluxe, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I reinstalled Jaguar the other day for fun (I was REALLY bored).

I've had the computer lock up once or twice since then and had to force-restart. Normally this means waiting at least five minutes for the reboot while the disk runs fsck. Since the reinstall, though, it either runs fsck really fast or not at all.

Any thoughts? I reformatted the disk but OS X is good about keeping things unfragmented, and I seriously doubt a lack of fragmentation would make any difference in running fsck.

I'm not worried, it's kind of nice, but it's kind of weird at the same time. :D

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Re: Jaguar reinstall--this is weird

the install CD detects fun. when it does, it screws up the install. to end your fun, you know.

it's a feature.

3. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

After a fresh initialisation any disk check will take a fraction of the time it took when full of jumbled up and fragmented files. Mac OS X is not good about fragmentation. Disks still get horribly fragmented, its jsut that as an Operating system, fragmentation doesn't affect it much. It does affect the speed of a disk check such as fsck though.

4. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Re: Jaguar reinstall--this is weird

I did that right after WWDC, just to get a clean machine going for the months before Panther. There definitely is an element of fun to it. :)