Jaguar Reviewed...

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by arn, May 9, 2002.

1. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

foniksonik provided this MacThis link which has a review of Jaguar with screenshots.

And Cyril lets us know that MacGeneration has a screenshot and description of scanner support in Jaguar.

2. macrumors 65816

peterjhill

MacThis 467 guests, 0 registered users. Looks like their site is getting slashdotted (or Macrumor'd).

3. macrumors 6502a

I was at SpyMac.com earlier and noticed that these are the exact same screenshots as part of their WWDC 'coverage'... I don't have much doubt about who copied who...

Spymac sucks!

4. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I've tried twice now to connect to the site and its not worked both times, anyone else have this problem?

5. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I cannot get their either Duke. If anyone can get there, try to post info here about description pics, etc.

6. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

no dice here either...

are the shots anything like the Jaguar movies that came out about 3-4 months ago??

7. macrumors regular

As much as you don't care for this site, it has become one of the two biggest Mac Rumors®©™ sites. Too bad they had to start off being shady.

---------
    Jason

"Long live ARN!"

8. macrumors 68030

britboy

odd. I can get the pages with no problem. It takes a heck of a long time to load, but it does eventually. I'll post the images if you like.

The first excerpt:

edit: scratch the pictures. They've got them (and more) at spymac.

9. deejemon, May 9, 2002
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010

macrumors regular

10. macrumors regular

Re: Images pulled

And it says they published the report on May 5th!? Really; so a report about iChat came out a day before anyone knew and no one took notice. Whatever

11. macrumors regular

Why do they suck?????? They have had BY FAR the best WWDC coverage. If the images are the same, who cares, they still have many of their "own".

12. macrumors 65816

cleo

Spymac has a ton of screenshots up.

All I can say is, based on what I've seen so far, the speed of 10.2 better be fricking incredible, because the added features (especially iChat... what a joke compared to Adium) don't seem all that remarkable.

13. macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

"Mac this" out of context!

Well, Mac this, gives it a WOW for speed but not in a ny worthwhile context!

Is he on a g4 400 or sitting in Jobs office playing ona G6?

Personally I think that he is on Pamela Andersons special dual boob machine.
    Of course it would be fast on that, I mean who wouldnt?

14. p03
    macrumors newbie

I've seen it

Okay, guys, I've just seen an early build of Jaguar. I think it was called 6-something-35. It ran on a 800 MHz iMac.

Speed was exactly the same as Puma, so no news there, though the guy who showed me said that he thought it was perhaps a little bit faster. Obviously, there was no sign of Quartz Extreme: that would probably come later; I'm not sure if anyone outside Apple has seen that. Did SJ even demo it? That feature had better be huge...!

This build also didn't have Sherlock 3 due to some screwup.

But what it did have is a few niceties. Here's my list.

Docked documents
    This was rumored before, but no reports I've read confirmed it, so I had to try myself. After you minimize a document to the Dock, you can drag it out of the Dock, and it will float on your screen, on top of everything. It will still have the miniature application icon superimposed over it. You'll be able to move the minimized document, and also close it by CTRL-clicking or clicking and holding (a contextual menu will come up). (You can close a Docked document the same way.) Double-clicking a minimized document will restore it to its original size.
    I hoped there would be a way to minimize a document in-place directly, but looks like you need to dock it first, and drag from there. I couldn't find a preference anywhere to change that behavior, hopefully a Terminal trick will at least be available. Minimization in place would be a great replacement for window shades.

Find File is back!
    Those of you who think Sherlock is quickly evolving into bloatware, and becoming largely useless for searching local volumes, should rejoice: pressing Command + F in the Finder now brings up a streamlined, simple Find File dialog, similar to what Mac OS 8 had! Sherlock is now an Internet search utility (though I couldn't test it myself). You can also enter search criteria in a Finder window, but you'll need to press Return to begin the search (unlike in iTunes or Mail). If you click on the word "Search" below the search box, the Find File dialog will appear. These two are the ways to look for files -- and I love both, especially compared to the bloated and stupid Sherlock.

Get Info changes
    As seen on screen shots, Get Info can now display all of its panes simultaneously, you can control that with disclosure triangles. You can also open multiple Get Info windows, just like in OS 9 and before: changing your selection in the Finder won't change any open Get Info windows. There are some other subtle changes I didn't memorize -- go look at the screen shots.

ZoomRects everywhere
    Actually, they are opaque zooms; I think you can hack Puma to have them as well?? Anyway, whether you open or close a folder, you'll see this animation. Spring-loaded folders have them too.

There were some other subtle changes too, most of them have been documented elsewhere. There are big things as well, like network protocols and such. I looked for interface changes mostly, and never connected to the Internet, so I don't know anything about that.

Feel free to ask questions, I must have forgotten a lot of stuff. I played with Jaguar for about an hour and a half, will go back tomorrow.

15. macrumors 6502

McFreggle

Neat

I saw the screenshots, and I must say: it all looks very neat!

k.

16. macrumors 65816

Not sure about the quartz extreme, but resizing windows and DEFINATELY scale effect is alot faster. Scale effect is so fast I barely see it go (dual gig) as for other notes-

-Dock is now line-less, smooth and clean
    -Minimized windows get app icon, drag the mini window to the desktop to play tennis
    -Midi Audio Setup utility
    -System Profiler is different layout
    -Digital Hub prefs like-
    When disk is inserted <choose to open with iTunes>
    When camera is connected <choose to open with iPhoto>
    You have different options, scanner options, etc for music, disks, movies, photos, etc.
    -Energy saver can set sleep for 3 hours now
    -Spring loaded folders rock, they use scale effect. In column view, dragging from one window to another slides over a new column. However, if you are dragging within the same window, it will scale effect a new window. So new spring columns in same window.
    -Change fonts from 12, 11, or 10pt. This doesn't work well on the desktop icons tho. In the finder it works fine although no space is gained as icons spacing remains the same.
    -Icons on desktop can have name under or to the right as option
    -Is a little faster, resizing is smooth, menus are fast, (on a dual gig so hard to say how fast)
    -Sys prefs for scrolling (speed setting)
    -No inkwell
    -Contextual Menus are still slow
    -IE still sucks (b&w beachball)
    -Have only seen the new aqua drop twice for a split second. It's a aqua drop with 2 opposing arrows facing each other and spins.
    -Can no longer copy and paste icons thru get info window
    -New info windows with collapsable panes
    -Open and closing files is all with scale effect. It flies to and from where its opened from (like springloaded folders)
    -Alert and dialog windows expand downwards from the title bar now (quickly but smoothly)
    -Stable so far, but I haven't done much.
    -Mail.app now has junk filters and hiliting
    -Mail.app has small icons or large icons
    -New mail inbox icons
    -Mail.app now has a progress bar where it shows "connecting, receiving file :title" etc at the top
    -More options for downloading mail off server
    -New mouse cursor. It has white outline with slight drop shadow. Doesn't work in all apps, maybe cocoa apps only? Reverts to old cursor with iTunes i.e.

17. deejemon, May 9, 2002
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010

macrumors regular

18. macrumors 65816

The colored beach ball (cursor) is gone. Replaced by an 'aqua' style circluar drop. However, you don't see it very often which is a good thing, when you do, it's not as bad to watch as the beachball was.

19. macrumors 6502a

SpyMac sucks because they rip stuff off other websites and say it's their own.... They don't give the website any credit. The only thing they did do on their own was the whole iWalk fake...

20. macrumors regular

Despite an earlier problem with the graphics not loading or something, they are back to normal now and it appears that Apple has not pulled access or requested any pull of them.

"
    Notice: Apple has removed the screenshots from my iDisk. Because of the fact that I don't want a major lawsuit against myself any time soon, I'm going to just live with it. I'm sorry about this, but spymac will still have their images up, I believe. So, even though they stole my images, it's better that they can actually keep letting people view them. See you all next beta seed!

Update: looks like the images weren't removed, just weren't being displayed earlier. Don't ask me what happened, because I have no idea what was going on. Anyways, keep viewing the images!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "

21. macrumors member

Evolution

Images loading instantaniously over here. How come I've never run across MacThis before?

The Bender is pretty chufffed by what he sees. It really seems that they have been listening to the users! X has certainly been very rough around the edges, particularly following on from Classic, with it's many years of optimization. The frills don't interest The Bender much, but he feels that simple stuff like the HD search, pop-ups, and window minimization, etc. will make a big difference.

It is a bit confusing that while M$ are being ripped for lashing too much to the OS, Apple are getting dangerously close to the same situation. The Bender doesn't have an opinion on that at the moment.

22. macrumors regular

languages?

I haven't seen anyone talk about this... maybe cuz it doesn't affect you much... but what languages are supported by jaguar? there are many many missing languages in OS X which is what is keeping a lot of people from upgrading and if they have to upgrade.. some of them are buying wintels... so anyone who's tried a copy can you please tell me if they have new languages? or if they are just the same old ones?

THANK YOU
    MaT

23. macrumors member

It looks like he is using a 500 MHZ G-4 with a Rage 128 video card. :)
    So it looks like 10.2 will be very useful even on older macs.

24. macrumors member

25. macrumors member