Jaguar to Tiger Upgrade Question!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Mr. Monsieur, May 6, 2004.

1. Mr. Monsieur macrumors 6502

Apr 21, 2004
    I'm trying to figure out what Apple's policy is regarding OS upgrades...I couldn't find the info on the apple site...if I want to upgrade from Jaguar to Tiger (without the Panther upgrade) will I have to pay more than if I had gotten the Panther upgrade as well? Will I get all the new Panther apps (including iLife 04...garageband, etc.) or only the new apps that come with Tiger?
  2. yoman macrumors 6502a

Nov 11, 2003
    In the Bowels of the Cosmos

ok for the first question.
    The cost will be the same no matter what. You could be using Mac OS 8.6 and the price will still be $129 (price of previous updates.) So you will be paying no more than anyone else. The only exception is if you have purchased a Mac within 10-14 days (i can't remember the exact timing) of the release of the new OS you could apply and get the new version for $20

second question.

Tiger should include iLife except for iDVD based on Apple's history. Panther had iPhoto, iTunes, iMovie only. Garageband might or might not be included. Since its a new app I wouldn't know if Apple would include it with their new OS. It might have to be purchased seperately.

Hope this helps
  3. Mr. Monsieur thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 21, 2004
    THANKS a lot yoman! Your answer helps a lot! What a great resource macrumors is...I posted less than ten minutes ago and got an answer from my mac buddies immediately! Very cool...
  4. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    my guess is that either Tiger will include all of iLife or none at all. iDVD can now be used on non-SD macs and then port the project to be burned by another machine with SD. so there's no reason for it to not be included with all macs. (before, iDVD only came with SD equipped machines, like you said.)

it's too bad if they decide to charge $129 for Tiger without iLife and $49 for iLife '05, or whatever that will be called. one of the greatest things about OS X was that iLife came with it.
  5. denm316 macrumors 6502

Oct 16, 2003
    I cannot see Apple taking iLife completely out of OSX, they always used to say before that Macs were great because they come with all the software.
  6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    So slightly O/T, but if you buy Panther now, it looks like you still get the old versions of iPhoto and iMovie with it, right (that's what the Apple site seems to imply). So the guess is that whatever iLife apps are available at the time of Tiger launch would be included, but then if the next iLife came out a few months after Tiger, it probably would not include that stuff.

At the time Panther came out, were iMovie and iPhoto avail. by download for free, or only by paying for Panther?

This is a lot like reading tea leaves, but it is interesting to me b/c I've never upgraded a Mac OS before.