Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

actripxl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2002
Chicago, IL
I guess this question goes out to those that have seen Panther in action. How much more responsive is Panther over Jaguar and in your opinion is it really worth the $129 price tag?

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
i would be interested in knowing if panther is going to be a lot faster than jaguar. the new features like the new finder and expose pretty much justify the extra cost for me :)

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I haven't seen it personally, but from the keynote, simple stuff like searching and working with Finder seem to be impressively quick. Isn't this basically the first major rewrite of Finder in recent history? I've heard people on various threads state they feel a good 40-60% improved speed just from the feel of using Panther with improved performance in almost every program. I know I cannot wait to see it in action for myself.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
I've been very impressed with Panther so far, but there are still many areas that need to be tackled. We must remember it's still a beta OS.

Therefore this thread's a little premature, it's hard to compare a 'polished' product that has received many updates to a beta OS that still has many elementary bugs.

AppleMatt

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
well this is who i see buying panther first chance they get.

-people with slower machines or like things snappier.

-people who like all the new unix stuff

-computers with multiple users will benefit

-people who have the cash

-people who dont want to be left behind with apples new software

of course this can be put into more categories. i think anyone who has jaguar should buy panther. i dont believe 129 is asking to much, but it just depends how much a dollar means to a person.

iJon

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
i hope this doesn't turn out the way everyone was asking if jaguar was worth $129...

it was so annoying the way everyone seemed to keep saying it wasn't worth it, it wasn't worth it...

i wanna know what everyone that said that then thinks now about jaguar.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Speed is the LEAST of the reasons to get Panther (although system boot time, sheet display time, menu display time, and app launch time have all improved). Fast user switching, exposé, font book, UI improvements, faster/saner find file, etc... It's not a lot faster, but it's somewhat "snappier" and has a TON of cool new features. Preview, btw, is MUCH faster. That's one of the places where there really is a huge speed difference. Startup time (on my machine, anyway) is another. Most other things are pretty similar in speed, just a tad more responsive. The new Finder is quite nice, although not as welcome as the new open/save dialogs imo. It needs to lose the brushed metal though.

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
San Francisco, CA
How about shutdown time? Sometimes my flat panel iMac (Jaguar) takes forever to shut down (well like 30 seconds or a minute or something). That's one of the few things I miss about the classic MacOS--my blueberry iMac would shut down OS 8.6 in about 2 seconds.

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
I love that about OS 9...about 14 seconds to start up and about 1.2 seconds to shut down. Not to mention it is snappy as hell on my 400 MHz G3.
Yeah that's what my blueberry iMac is, 400 MHz, and it does feel quite snappy in OS 9. Makes me wish sometimes that my new iMac could start up in OS 9 for things like SimCity 3000...which is completely unplayable in Classic, but runs fine in pure OS 9 on my blueberry iMac.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
That's why an issue that I have been following closely with Panther is its speed and responsiveness. I tried running OS X on my PowerBook and it was just really disappointing. Once I get a new PowerBook that is vastly more powerful than my current one, I'd like it to feel faster than my old one and not more lagged.

applefan

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2003
No. Cal.
What about windows printer sharing?

I understand there are supposed to be improvement with windows printer sharing. Do any panther users know if it is easier for the mac to share a printer connected to a PC?

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
$129 a year is too much even if panther is great i like the expose featuse but would have preferred something like http://www.codetek.com virtual screens.
i also miss a lot of os9 features that made it feel faster like being able to move windows from the side and bottom, or dragging a window to the bottom and have the tab left there for later use or window shade or clicking on a window and having all windows from that program open behind it (defeat-able) tear off menu switcher.
i think there are shareware programs for some of these but they need to be at the os level. just having a shaded area on the side and bottom of windows or key combo that would allow you to move windows from the side and bottom alone will save a lot of time over time and make the gui seems faster even if it isn't

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
panther halved boot times on my mac and did about the same to shutdown times.

i run an DP1G MDD (no FW800) w/768 DDR333 and an 80GB IBM with ATi 9000 64MB.

look - if you can not honestly afford panther then you should go and get another job (i.e.work 2 jobs). It is worth it all the way - believe me. I used to run it (then i needed toast again - darn DVD production)

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
Originally posted by iJon
well this is who i see buying panther first chance they get.

-people with slower machines or like things snappier.
people said that 10.1 was much faster than 10.0, but it didn't live up to the hype. the same thing was said about 10.2, and it didn't live up to the hype. will i buy 10.3 based on it's outrageous speed claims? you bet, because i'm a sucker and want it to be true for my old imac.:rolleyes:

PowerbookG5: how does os9 start so quickly on your machine? i have as few extensions as possible on my os9 system and it takes noticeably longer to boot than osx on my iMac500.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Originally posted by FattyMembrane
will i buy 10.3 based on it's outrageous speed claims? you bet, because i'm a sucker and want it to be true for my old imac.:rolleyes:

Have you tried Panther?

AppleMatt

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
good but no cigar, not worth it, but almost

Originally posted by mnkeybsness
i hope this doesn't turn out the way everyone was asking if jaguar was worth $129...

it was so annoying the way everyone seemed to keep saying it wasn't worth it, it wasn't worth it...

i wanna know what everyone that said that then thinks now about jaguar.
well it was not worth it for those of us who got 10-10.1-10.2. i do think that 19.99-49.99 would have been fair for those who bought the previous version. and full price of $99.99 for a full install would have been fair and i will say the same for panther. i am so glad apple did not go ahead and charge for imovie, itunes, iphoto, and idvd as they originally planned, well sort of. although i think a charge for idvd is fair. ichat av should stay free for all cause it sells isight, hopefully apple will relent here.
i am all for apple charging a fair price for its software, and for the most part they have, but its okay to complain when they seem to reach a little too far.
as we have learned with ilife, apple does listen sometimes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.