Jaguar vs Panther

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by zodiac, Mar 11, 2004.

1. zodiac macrumors member

Whats better in both OS's. Is there anything in Jaguar thats better than panther. What do you prefer?

2. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Panther: Exposé, Safari, Mail, Preview, XCode, fast user switching, X11 plus much more (see http://www.apple.com/macosx/newfeatures/ for all new features)
    Jaguar: Networking (IMO), some people also prefer Jaguar's Finder

Hopefully 10.3.3 will improve Panther's networking, and you can turn off the sidebar and/or toolbar in Finder windows. Overall, Panther is definately better, but whether it's worth the cost is debatable.

3. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Of course Panther is better, but it also eats more RAM. Run Panther if you have a decent amount of RAM (384MB and up) and Jaguar if you have around 128MB.

I noticed this because Jaguar would stay very snappy all the time under 128MB RAM on my 400mhz iMac. Panther is a whole nother story - I'm running it now, and it gets pretty sluggish sometimes. And to those reinstall freaks out there, this has remained true for several fresh installations.