Jaguar won't continue installing.

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Keith Purfield, Apr 19, 2003.

1. Keith Purfield macrumors regular

I reformatted my hard drive yesterday, partitioning it so I could install Linux on it with Jaguar. I did this with my OS 9.2.2 CD because the Jaguar CD wouldn't boot up. After doing so, I tried to install Jaguar, but after I click 'Restart' to install it, all it shows is a grey Apple logo on the screen. I had Jaguar installed before, but it's not working now.

I'm not sure what type of Jaguar CD it is, it's a copy of one. The store I bought my iMac at gave it to me because I bought a used iMac, and they didn't want to lose money by giving me a real Jaguar CD, I guess.

I cleaned the Jaguar CD with a Disc Doctor, but it still doesn't work. The CD mounts and all, and the contents work, but it just shows an Apple logo when I click Restart to install Jaguar.

I thought it might be a problem with the CD, so I tried to copy the contents, but it says that some of the contents cannot be copied.

Is there any way that I can fix this/get Jaguar to install? I have absolutely no money, so I can't buy a new CD.

Thanks in advance,
    Keith

2. keithcobbett macrumors member

Try this...

OK, here are a couple of things to try:

Verify that you have enough memory. Some memory may have gone bad or just is not registering. Check from 9.2.2 (if loaded).

Install 9.2.2 and upgrade the firmware. Sometimes when you reformat your machine, you have to reinstall the firmware.

Make sure the size of the partition is adequate. Don't try to install on a 1GB partition, it won't work.

Give the CD time to work. Don't wait 5 minutes and give up hope. Let it run for about 30 minutes or so. Sometimes it takes a while to start from scratch.

If all else fails, bring the disc back to the retailer and say the disc is bad. Jaquar has gone bad on me a couple of times on "copied" discs. I have made copies of my discs so that nothing happens to the originals and sometimes they don't work. Not sure if this is a security feature with it or not.