Jaguar won't install on my Power Mac G3 Mini Tower PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by LimeiBook86, Dec 17, 2002.

1. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I have a Power Mac G3 mini tower and Jaguar Wont install! I have a UW SCSI Card in it. I downloaded an Update from Apple and it says I don't need it, yet the Read Me says in System Profiler if it has certian numbers your ok but mine doesn't. It also said try terminating it. Well I don't have a UW SCSI Terminator, all I have is a regular one which I put on my plain old SCSI port (the one thats on the motherboad) Well when I launch the Intsall OS X app it asks me to resatart and I do. Now when it restarts it seems to be reading from the disc now as soon as the Happy Mac appears it restarts itself and starts up from the Hard Drive. Now my other option is to take out the UW SCSI card and the Hard Drive to, But then I will be losing a 9GB HD and will replace it with a regular SCSI 6GB HD. I will also be missing my files. My last resort would be to copy the 9GB UW SCSI Driev to my FireWire 80gb drive and the install Jaguar on my 6GB and then copy the files that I use all te time but then I have to reinstall software... rrrrr.... Is there anyway I can install Jaguar I'm MAD! Also there is no way to connect the 9GB HD (UW SCSI) to the computer without the card.. Help PLEASE!

2. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

A friend of mine had this same problem when trying to install Jaguar. After checking all the discussion boards we could find, the easiest solution was to install his hard drive in my tower (G4) and install Jag for him, and then re-install the HD back into his tower. This worked fine. Other people tried fiddling with firmware, but that's up to you. Good luck!

Regards,
    Gus

3. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Thanks for the help but my Hard Drive that I wanna install X.2 on is SCSI and my Dad's G4 is IDE, well thanks for the help though... Maybe I can hook it up externaly....

4. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

2 options

I had the same problem with my G3. I discovered the jumper setting on my hard drive needed to be set to master. (Actually I just moved the hard drive up in the chain to make it recogonized). So first I would see if you need to adjust the jumper settings on your hd. If that is not the problem, then install Jaguar on an acceptable hard drive (like your 6gb?) and then use Carbon Copy Cloner (available here: http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html ) to move the new system to your desired hard drive. I've never used CCC, I got Jaguar installed the hard way. had I known, it would have saved many a long nights... Hope this helps.

dukemeiser

5. Steradian macrumors 6502

well

My boss had the same problem installing it on his baige G3 so he took it into the apple store w/ his copy of jag and they fixed it up good for him. So if thier is an apple store near you go, ask and ye shall recive or something like that :)
    -Hope for the best

PowerBook G4 1ghz