Jaguar

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Paolo, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Paolo macrumors regular

Am I wrong or is apple asking for $129 for jaguar? I'd just saved up for an iPod and now I have to start saving for an osx UPGRADE.

Apple are becoming scamming b*stards what is going on with them first mac. and then jaguar, at least itunes is for free.

What is apple doing...
    I'm a student with NO money, and apple were always good, now there just as scamming as microsoft (ok that might be a bit over the top) but still WHAT ARE YOU DOING APPLE!?

(of course if I'm completely wrong about jaguar costing a f--- load of money then I'll take all this back!)

2. Polith macrumors newbie

You are a student, then depending on which school you attend you have a chance on purchasing 10.2 for only 69.99$. Check out the educational discounts at Apple, and yes even 70$ is a bit much, but 130$ is ridiculous.

Hope this helped a bit.

3. Paolo thread starter macrumors regular

It doesn't make sense

I don't get what there charging for?

firstly it's only an upgrade...... I don't get it for those of us who just forked out the money for OSX (original) this just seems stupid!
    Before yesterday I was fully in support of apple I thought the sun shon out of steve jobs arse... now I just think that there trying to scam everyone. a try hard microsoft (nobody can scam as well as them)

The emacs... you look at the educational discounts (in australia) and I discover that the lowest of the range is 10% cheaper but it doesn't come with a modem... I mean how crap is that... I have to the spend that 10% on a modem. So much for educational discounts.

mac. crap what is that... just another way apple can make money of it's mac faithful.

(NOT HAPPY).

4. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

hmm sounds really M$ish plot but ms would usually bring out 2 diff versions (upgrade and full :S)

is there an upgrade version? or is there just the $129 one?

5. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

just get it thru hl and don't bitch...screw them like they screw us...just my 13000 cents...

6. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Yes it does

Unless you consider Apple paying it's programmers to offer you new features a scam I don't get your point. 10.2 is beyond a bug fix it offers new features like Quartz extreme, iCal iSync, Rendezvous and more. Be happy that you're a student and saving 70 bucks.

Edu discounts are not going to be that much..there's not margin in computers anymore. The lowest eMac with no modem suits School labs on Ethernet just fine. They don't need modems.

Apple still has your back.

7. rEd Eye macrumors regular

But give me a break!I just paid for the full version of osX.1 several months ago with the price of my computer,and it has been useless to me so far.I don't even have audio drivers for my MOTU audio interface yet.Did I even have the option to not buy it?NO!Now I have to buy it again for full price if I want to fart around with a version that isn't a bug ridden and almost the slowest OS per Mhz on the earth?I think I'll wait till someone just gives me a copy that they downloaded,and pay for the blank CD,thanx!

8. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Remember

Apple doesn't ask for a cut from any money you make with their computers. Pirating the OS will just lead Apple to institute some sort of Product Activation like Microsoft.

9. j763 macrumors 6502a

I bought an eMac last week... Now I have to buy Jaguar. I'm not about to bitch about that -- it's what I expected and I was ready with my $150, but $225 (aussie dollars)????? I bought QT6 pro the other day... Now if I get .mac and I get Jaguar, I've got nothing left to buy my new 10GB iPod with.

If there is no sub$25USD .mac email service, im going to be *so* pissed off...

If not, I've found this cool new service called FastMail -- cheap, good and powerful, and i'd rather give them my $$ than apple right now.

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It's $30 more than a WinXP upgrade, is it worth the $30 not to use Windows?

While Apple does not bundle the iApps into the OS, the iApps are definitely part of the OS X experience and worth the extra $30.

11. valypan macrumors regular

12. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Ok. For the guy who bought an eMac last week, it's 20 bucks to upgrade. Not the full price, so shut up. It's also the first "full" upgrade to OSX since 10.1. Almost one year. When Apple went from os 8 to os 8.5, it was 100 bucks, when then went from 8.5 to 9, 100 bucks. No one whined. So quit whining and pony it up and enjoy your computing experience.

I am starting a petition. It's at www.stopidiotsfrombeingonline.com and you can sign up to automatically have anyone's internet account relinquished for wasting bandwith and starting whiney, uneducated, idiotic petition sites against Apple when they haven't researched the situation and have no business model clue, and who might someday petition online to make apple give us iMacs for free since that's the way it should be. This is America, We're capitalists. apple's capitalism at its finest. at least they make nice stuff.

Buy it, enjoy it, create with it, make some cash. Buy more. Ok???? It's called BUSINESS.

13. Paolo thread starter macrumors regular

yes okay

Moxiemike you are what we call in australia a 'wanker'.

Now while america may be full of scamming swine, you have to remember apple are a world wide company... meaning there are more nice people than there are capitalist pigs buying macs.

Now while I agree apple have to make money, they have to keep into account that there customers are not made of money, especially as they aim some of there market at students etc.

Now Jaguar is more than a bug fix.... well yes and no someone mentioned that it uses quartz extreme.... wasn't that to fix the 'beach ball of death' or that spinning disk that you always get when you do to many things at once!

and ichat etc were all pretty small things that have counter parts that are for free anyway (msn, icq etc) so really I don't see why they can put a $129 price tag on it... It seems very uncharacteristic of Steve to do this, after reviving apple... he is now going to ruin it with scams. Maybe it's the stupid board... or maybe it's some stupid merge or something dumb like that!
    It just seems a bit weird!

14. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Re: yes okay

Rendevous. iChat, QE, midi support, scanning support, new sherlock, new mail, new address book, figyure also that some of this cash goes to iTunes, iPhoto, iMove development. It's worth it. $129 is worth it.

15. gelbin macrumors regular

business??

i agree it is a business.
    but...with all the hoo ha on jaguar, a lot of people bought macs this summer thinking that jaguar would be a free/near free upgrade. it was hyped since even before the development conference.

typically, from my experience, upgrade paths grandfather back to some time before the official announcement. in this case, apple screwed many people that took the leap and bought a mac just before the release of the big system upgrade, expecting to be treating with some respect.

16. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Re: business??

If people bought macs hoping that jag was gonna be free based on unsubstantiated rumors, then I can't sympathize with them at all.

That's just loony. apple never made a statement on price. If they thought it was gonna be free, they didn't get info from the mouth itself. They should be complaining to rumors sites for posting misinformation about jaguar pricing.

17. JINX macrumors newbie

See we're all in a Catch-22 here. If someone tried to sell me a calculator for $1000 I'd say screw it, I don't need one that bad. And I wouldn't need one that bad (pencil and paper still works). But if I went on and on complaining about it that would suggest I really do need one that bad. And that's the case with 10.2. We do really need it and we do really want it because from all we've heard its going to make a major difference in the speed and usability of OS X. Somehow a lot of us think that the more we want something from Apple the more Apple should be willing to shoulder the cost and give it too us for cheap. Perhaps its because they give so much away for free, I don't know.

Now if you really don't need 10.2 that bad, let it go. Apple's made their business decision and you can make yours. But everytime someone complains it only suggests that you really do want it and Apple made the right decision. If you really don't need it that bad, just wait until you get a copy free with your next computer.

18. lou tsee macrumors newbie

I find it really quite unbelievable to see poeple complainig about this.

Do you get free tires from your car dealers, when they ship a
    new model??????

We're talking about a piece of Software which about 90% of
    Apple's development team has been working on for over 9 month !!
    now grab a calculator and try to work out how much money THAT is !!

Or you might compare it to the price of Office v. X. (...)

And then - you don't HAVE to buy it.

but as someone else stated: apple should probably give iMacs
    away for free - it would only be just...

get a life

19. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

Don't talk about this here, Arn could get into a great deal of trouble.

PS. if you don't think Jaguar cost a crapload to develop, you're just a fool. Its the HL attitude that drives sofware prices up. Just because you once gave Apple money, doesn't mean that you've paid in for the rest of your life. You want all this cool new iApp stuff, upgrade your system and its free. And you get a better system.

20. gelbin macrumors regular

near free =/= free

mr. moxie at. al.

i said free or near free.
    not free.

maybe near free was more accurate, a 20 $ upgrade for people purchasing in the last month or so would be reasonable in my computer buying opinion.

otherwise, people will refuse to buy as soon as apple starts hyping a new software technology.

and also, hardware (computers/cars/tires etc.) is not the same as software. apple wants and benefits from early adoption. that is how they woo developers. by adding osx users early, they are able to make it a viable os, i.e. draw developers and applications. there is some symbiotic relationship there...they needed us at the time in a way that sears does not need me to buy new tires.

21. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

Your right.

Apple is a business and they are in business to make money, not to lose money (as they do with the iApps and iTools). You see they are losing money with these things, and it makes shareholders madder than hell to lose money if it isn't recouped somewhere.

Look capitalissm sucks to some extent, but here we are. If you think that a business should be doing anything besides aiming to make money your ignorant and living in a fools world. I suggest a little time in the real world to figure that one out.

That said, a company can aim to make money, but do so fairly and responsibly, which I think definitely describes Apple. People keep compairing to M$, but forgetting that M$ is a very sucessful business, its the anti-competitive stuff that makes them evil and wrong. Charging for a service or product is not anti competitive.

22. lou tsee macrumors newbie

well said drastik !!

(I know my 'tires' comparison wasn't accurate)

23. valypan macrumors regular

Ok its 20 bucks only for people who buy a new mac FROM July 17th until somewhere in october. ALL the rest have to pay full price. So no we dont shut up.
    As for your petition, feel free to set it up as there are SOME people who still believe that everybody has the right to post their opinion on the forum and on the internet. My post said "IF" you want to protest, then sign the petition. As you clearly do not want to protest,ignore my post and refrain from further useless comments.

24. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

price

The full version costs $149

Student discount makes it $69

The UPGRADE is $19.99.

They are charging $19.99 for shipping, handeling, and packaging. I would like to see Apple put the upgrade on-line. I have a high speed connection and I would be willing to download the 2-3 CD's that it is sure to be.

$19.99 is not that much. Apple can't just send everyone free stuff in the mail. It costs money to press the CD's, make and desine the box, and ship it.

We did this before with 10.1. Maybe Apple will let us go to an Apple store for a free download/copy if we bring a CD-R again. Apple did give some free copys out at Apple stores and CompUSA's last time. My buddy went to compUSA for a free one. There was a big angry croud when they said they never got the shippment from Apple. Then some guy went in the back and pulled out the Full Retail Version and started passing it out for free. He thought he found the upgrades that Apple sent.

25. gelbin macrumors regular

anticompetitive?

actually, it is fairly straightforward to argue that what apple has done with itools IS indeed anti-competitive. they did what is called a 'lock-in'. By suggesting (and i am not claiming they did, but i have heard it enough to think itis possible) that people would have lifetime email @mac.com and then allowing people to become somewhat entrenched or, in the term of art, locked in, and then raising the price, they are able to price at non-market levels.