Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kazco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
My friend's son died leaving behind an iPhone 6 which has apparently been 'jail broken' .

His mother has the passcode to get into the phone and his iTunes password & account. She'd like to use the phone for herself now that time has passed and it's just sitting there and her old 4 is getting flat.

Is there any issues with resetting the phone back to factory settings, does she need to take it somewhere.

I know nothing about jail broken phones or any of that stuff (neither does she) - does it cause any issues apart from warranty etc? He was a good tech so everything else they have (internet etc) had to be disconnected - and his phone plan too.

Can she just start again with it by resetting? Putting her own sim in (same carrier) and using it as her own?

Is there any problems to look out for? Any particular process to follow? All advice gratefully received.

TIA

K

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
All she has to do is plug it to iTunes and hit restore. It will put the phone on the latest stock iOS version and then she can put her sim in and use it.
[doublepost=1475457690][/doublepost]
Last I knew just going into settings and resetting phone would bork JB phone and require DFU restore. Might want to look into that before resetting it. Beyond that shouldn't be any problems with her using it that I can think of.

Correct. If you do an erase all on jb devices it can cause problems. Best bet is to connect to iTunes and restore.

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
Last I knew just going into settings and resetting phone would bork JB phone and require DFU restore. Might want to look into that before resetting it. Beyond that shouldn't be any problems with her using it that I can think of.

Reactions: Applejuiced

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My friend's son died leaving behind an iPhone 6 which has apparently been 'jail broken' .

His mother has the passcode to get into the phone and his iTunes password & account. She'd like to use the phone for herself now that time has passed and it's just sitting there and her old 4 is getting flat.

Is there any issues with resetting the phone back to factory settings, does she need to take it somewhere.

I know nothing about jail broken phones or any of that stuff (neither does she) - does it cause any issues apart from warranty etc? He was a good tech so everything else they have (internet etc) had to be disconnected - and his phone plan too.

Can she just start again with it by resetting? Putting her own sim in (same carrier) and using it as her own?

Is there any problems to look out for? Any particular process to follow? All advice gratefully received.

TIA

K
All she has to do is plug it to iTunes and hit restore. It will put the phone on the latest stock iOS version and then she can put her sim in and use it.
AJ is correct. I would as an additional step put the phone in DFU Mode and then restore. It's not necessary, but it is an extra precaution just to make sure the jailbreak is completely wiped and does not cause issues going forward.

Lastly, make sure that Find My iPhone is off. If you friend does not know the Apple ID and password that her son used then she will be faced with a brick upon restore due to iCloud Activation Lock. I mention that simply because it's possible to be logged into various things with different Apple IDs.

Kazco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
Thanks!!

DFU mode?

She does have his iTunes account ID & password - we will check on 'find my iPhone' & turn that off.

I might have to do it for her so will make a step by step list to be sure I don't stuff it up ;-)
Am I assuming right we'll need to plug it into a computer or can we do it without?

1. Turn off find my iPhone
2. ?
3. ?
4. ?
etc

Yeah, I've never had a jailbroken device so no idea - and I've never had to restore my mac stuff - I just plug & play after 20+ years of using mac stuff ....

Cheers.

AJ is correct. I would as an additional step put the phone in DFU Mode and then restore. It's not necessary, but it is an extra precaution just to make sure the jailbreak is completely wiped and does not cause issues going forward.

Lastly, make sure that Find My iPhone is off. If you friend does not know the Apple ID and password that her son used then she will be faced with a brick upon restore due to iCloud Activation Lock. I mention that simply because it's possible to be logged into various things with different Apple IDs.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
DFU mode?
(D)evice (F)irmware (U)pgrade

DFU deals directly with the device firmware. Nothing else is loaded.

1. Turn off find my iPhone
2. Open iTunes
3. Connect iPhone to computer. Do not allow syncing or updating/upgrading.
4. Power off phone. Leave it connected to the computer.
5. Place phone in DFU Mode
6. iTunes will detect an iPhone in 'Recovery Mode'
7. Use iTunes to upgrade and restore
8. Device will restart. You may see an update progress bar on the iPhone and it may restart again.

Done.

Note! You will KNOW you are properly in DFU mode if the screen is BLANK. If anything else shows on your screen you are not in DFU mode. iTunes will also alert you when you get into DFU mode because it will notify you that it's detected an iPhone in recovery mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.