Jailbreak Hack Puts 'Chat Heads' on iPhone the Way Facebook Intended

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 18, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The Verge reports on a new jailbreak hack for the iPhone that puts Facebook's new 'Chat Heads' feature above all other content on the device, similar to how Facebook Home works on Android.

On Android, Facebook's Chat Heads float above all other content so users can quickly jump in and out of conversations while they continue to use their phone for other tasks. On the iPhone, Chat Heads are normally only active when users are actually using the Facebook app.

[​IMG]
    The hack will be released on jailbreak app store Cydia and Github in the next few days.

Facebook executives were asked at a recent conference if they had spoken with Apple about bringing the full Chat Heads experience to the iPhone, but they demurred.

Article Link: Jailbreak Hack Puts 'Chat Heads' on iPhone the Way Facebook Intended

2. macrumors 6502

The real question is... Why would you want this?! :rolleyes:

3. macrumors 603

nfl46

My comment the other day in the Facebook update thread:

Chat heads outside the app is a lot cooler; looks great on my Nexus. Maybe someone can do a jailbreak app for it.

;) By reading the comments on other iOS blogs, it seems like a lot of people like the Chat Heads idea.

Thanks, devs!

4. macrumors 68000

BC2009

This story appears to be double-posted on the front page.

5. macrumors 68000

\-V-/

Because... some people would want this... hence why 24 hours was spent hacking away to get it to work like this... so at least one person wanted it... and if you're jailbroken... you have that choice.

I personally like this feature. Maybe I'm crazy.

6. macrumors 6502

TimUSCA

It would be nice for iMessage, but I don't even like Facebook chat while in Facebook, much less outside of it.

7. macrumors regular

Yeesh. I don't even want this within the Facebook app considering that I rarely carry on a conversation with more than one person at a time over Facebook. Good for whoever wants this feature.

8. macrumors 6502

To each his/her own... I accidentally ran into this feature in the new iOS Facebook app, and it annoyed me. It was just like pop-up ads. All it really did was block content.

9. macrumors G4

Small White Car

I actually LIKE the chatheads. The only problem is, I don't really Facebook chat much, so it's not much use for me.

But as a design it's quite amazing. If Apple stole this idea for iMessage it would be something I'd praise.

So,

Design = Very nice, Facebook
    Facebook Messages themselves = meh

10. macrumors 6502a

Forgive me but it looks off in the home screen with that head right there. needs better implementation. notification bar maybe? maybe even on the springboard. theres just no room given the auto-arrange of the icons

11. macrumors member

I have fb home on my Note 2 Can't wait to use this on my iPhone 5 hopefully apple adds something similar in iOS 7 for iMessage.

12. macrumors member

So what do you do…

…when they cover your app's controls?

13. macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Nice work by the JB community again on getting the hack to work.....but that is completely and utterly obnoxious.

14. macrumors 6502

Thank goodness for the jail breaking community.

15. macrumors 6502a

Mr Fusion

I jailbreak for many reasons...

This, is not one of them. :cool:

16. macrumors 68020

applesith

I guess that's cool for people who want that. Not for me. Maybe something like it for iMessage, but not sure I want floating heads.

17. macrumors G4

Small White Car

You move them somewhere else.

They're not intended to be there 100% of the time...only when you're deep in a conversation with someone. Whatever annoyance a floating ball gives you, it's MUCH less annoying than switching between entire apps every 5 seconds.

It's a solution for a particular situation, and it's perfect at that specific job.

18. macrumors regular

I have enough S#1theads on my phone I definitely dont need Chatheads :mad:

19. macrumors 65816

Interesting but utterly, utterly useless

20. macrumors regular

ShiftClick

Oh, thaaaats what that was! I had updated my facebook app with out seeing what the changes were and saw the head floating around, confused the hell outta me. Atleast now I know what it was, thought it was some weird bug.

21. macrumors 6502a

Seem like they just block your screen.

22. macrumors 68000

\-V-/

ER... what? Block content? No... it was designed so that it blocks things less. There is a lot less back-and-forthing inside the app itself so you don't have to switch to the messages area and back to Facebook again. You just click the chat heads to open the chat or to close the chat in exactly the place you left it without ever having to exit the main Facebook page.

23. macrumors member

On android devices it actually works for your SMS as well. For people saying that it's in the way or blocking content all u do Is swipe it down and it's gone off the screen. If apple does something like this for iMessage same people complaining would think it's the greatest thing since the first iPhone was announced

24. macrumors 68030

BvizioN

I find it amazing that on almost every video presentation of something on iPhone there will be a ridiculous number of unanswered calls, unread text messages or unread emails. Do these guys use the phone?

25. macrumors 68030

Popeye206

Apple should just officially allow Jailbreaking, just not support the results. Just make it a simple switch in iOS, just make sure customers know when they allow this, they are on their own and they won't be eligible for SW support.

If Apple did this, the normal consumer who likes the controlled environment can have it and the people who want to customize can have that too.

Anyway... sort of off topic, but seems like it would help Apple combat some of the Anti-Apple rants if this was allowed.