Jailbreakers: Anyone get upnp media servers to work yet with Apple TV 2

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by djrobsd, Jan 18, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502a

Curious if there are any solutions yet for the new Apple TV unit after jailbreaking to be able to see content on a media server (such as Twonky - which is built right into my NAS or TVersity on my PC).. Both of those products transcode so they should be able to transcode any content to a compatible format with Apple TV, but who knows, maybe there are some other technical limitations..

I love the simplicity and form factor of the Apple TV, but loading all my content onto itunes onto my Mac is not going to work for me because I have 2TB of content in other formats on my NAS server and I don't want to have to convert it all and also leave a itunes computer on all the time! Maybe I should look at some other products on the market?

2. macrumors newbie

How about ATV Flash? I´m using it on both my ATV 1´s, and it works great.
    I play my media from my home server by accessing hared folders :)

www.atvflash.com

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looks very promising, not yet available but coming soon. I'm curious, you say browsing via shared folders, so I guess it doesn't support the UPNP media center protocol then? Media Centers are so much nicer because they provide a way to organize all your stuff into playlists, categories, etc.

4. macrumors newbie

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Guess I got my wish! Right on the main page today of Macrumors, XBMC is live for AppleTV2. ;)