Jailbreaking ATV2 assistance?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by CasperDK, Jun 24, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Hello all

I just got an ATV2, with version 4.4.3 or something along those lines. I would like it to run 5.2.1 and be jailbroken. I tried using seasonpass, but it seems to fail when reaching the iTunes part where I have to restore the custom ipsw, probably because Apple has released 5.3 and won't allow it? I got an error code 3194.

Can I only jailbreak its current version 4.4.3 or wait for a 5.3 jailbreak? Isn't there a way to get it updated and jailbroken with 5.2.1?

Thanks a lot for any help you can provide!

2. macrumors 6502a

To my knowledge there are no jailbreak options for the puck apple TVs. However with plexconnect there isn't much reason any more (other than having to establish a server).

3. macrumors 65816

lunaoso

No there is a jailbreak for the 2nd gen ones, but not the 3rd gens. They look the same but 3rd gen has 1080p.

To OP: If you update to 5.3, you might be able to do a tethered jailbreak. Not sure if Seas0npass has been updated to support 5.3 yet though.

4. macrumors 6502a

That sounds similar to a problem I had when doing this a few months back: when Seasonpass threw to iTunes to restore the ATV using the custom ipsw, iTunes just never did anything. I had to force iTunes to restore by right-clicking and selecting the particular .ipsw.

See this post for a step-by-step guide to jailbreaking your ATV2 and installing XBMC and Hulu/Amazon add-ons:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1305573

Relevant to your problem: