1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Jailbreaking the 4th Gen Ipod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sarmo187, Aug 25, 2010.

1. macrumors member

Considering the Ipod Touch 4 is going to come with iOS4, will the jailbreak already be ready for it.. or will we have to wait for them to come out with a certain version or update? :confused:

2. macrumors member

When iOS 4.1 comes out, there will be a jailbreak or a bit later.

we have to wait for now

3. macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

Just checking, I know that it is no longer illegal to jailbreak a device. However, does it still break the warranty?

4. macrumors 68020

Beric

Yes, if they find out.

I'm guessing the jailbreak will not be out right away. It took a bit for the 3G jailbreak to come out, and even longer before the untethered jailbreak.

5. macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

Sorry, posted twice accidentally.

6. macrumors newbie

?

What is jailbreaking?

7. macrumors regular

I believe it runs iOS 4.1 by default.

8. macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I think you meant 3Gs since you referenced untethered jailbreaks.

But I'm with you, there's definitely going to be a delay. The dev-team tries to make sure their tools will work for the most devices possible and for the longest time possible.

Since this is the case... I think we'd be lucky to see a jailbreak for 4.1 until they've had plenty of time to test it on the new iPods.

In fact... I wouldn't be surprised if they waited until 4.2 so they could hit the iPad at the same time.

9. macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

Now I know that the ipod touch 3G can be jailbroken, so wouldn't running the 3.1 iOS version be doable on a ipod touch 4G until they do have a version for 4.0?

10. Demi-God (Moderator emeritus)

grapes911

In short, it's gaining root access to your device. If you want more info than that, I suggest you search. It's all over this site and others.

11. macrumors 68020

Beric

No, I did mean the iPod touch 3G. it wasn't with an untethered jailbreak for a LONG time.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised either if they waited for 4.2.

12. macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

No. 4.0 is already jailbroken and there would be no way to downgrade the new iTouch with 4.1 to 3.1 without jailbreaking it anyway.

Haha, sorry. I was thinking iPhone 3G. :p