jailbroken iphone 3G - cant get to work with tmobile

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jerrduford, Dec 29, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Dec 29, 2010
    I recently purchased a used jailbroken iphone 3rd generation.

i have tmobile service and was told switching the phone from att to tmobile would be an easy process. It has turned out to be everything but.

i put my tmobile sim card in the iphone and reconfigged several different ways as are shown on various credible websites. Ive tried changing the network config apn from internet2.voicestream.com, epc.tmobile.com, and wap.voicestream.com multiple times. Each time i change all 3 apns. Ive tried changing just one, used all 3 codes, disabled wifi/3g, and on each power on i get that no network is found. I always make sure to leave data roaming turned on.

the phone is in fact jailbroken. It has a black background, jailbreak software, etc. Is the phone possibly not unlocked? Im not sure what my issue is, but any constructive input would be greatly appreciated.
  2. macrumors 604

Jun 9, 2009
    Mich near Detroit
    tmobile 3g isn't supported it's on a different frequency the att you can only use edge on tmobile.
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 29, 2010
    What's edge and how do i use that rather than the alternative?
  4. macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Jan 17, 2008
    No offense, but if you don't even know what EDGE is then maybe you shouldn't be trying to hack and unlock your phone...
  5. macrumors newbie

Jul 9, 2010
    Can you make a call with t-mobile sim? If so, the phone is unlocked.

As for the data (EDGE), you will need to have data plan with t-mobile. Mine is the $9.99 unlimited data and uses internet2.voicestream.com APN. Remenber to have 3G and Data Roaming both OFF.

Hope this helps!