Jailed Times Reporter Freed After Source Waives Confidentiality

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Sep 29, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Not too surprised, especially since he was put forth several times as the possible goat being fattened for slaughter.

3. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Alright, I'll look more closely to see if a story has already been posted.

Still even if I don't get to post the thread, this is big news in the Plame investigation. I'm betting on indictments next month. But who is going to be next on the docket, Rove and Libby or Senate Majority Leader Frist? Of course, it is all a liberal conspiracy to decapitate the government we can't win through elections. I'm just glad to know the SEC and prosecutor Fitzgerald (lifelong republican) have signed on to the conspiracy. ;)

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm amazed that with all the people who were out for blood over Clinton's improprieties, this is barely even covered by the news. I guess there are just too many ethics violations to keep track. And yet so many people follow them for moral reasons? :confused:

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Wow...

Now why would Libby release Miller from her confidentiality agreement, when he's under investigation himself...?

...unless he's cut a deal with someone to finger Rove...

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I'm a little curious too, there's something fishy here and maybe Libby just wants to save his own skin but whatever happens it's not going to be good for bushco, or at least I hope it's not.

7. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Let's see what she has to say...

reserving judgement.

8. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

I was wondering what kind of deal Scooter cut with Rove to fall on the sword this time. We did just learn that Bush knows the definition of pardon.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The part that makes no sense is that Miller is claiming she got a release from Libby's lawyers, but didn't consider that valid because it didn't come from Libby himself. But if that's the case, why didn't someone call someone else and straighten this out eighty-some-odd days ago?

Obviously that excuse is bogus, so what's the real reason.

10. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I was wondering the same thing. One assumes that Judy's lawyer(s) would have been competent enough to pick up the phone and call Scooter.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Well I'm not on a first-name basis with any of these people ;), but I suspect it might have something to do with having spent enough time in jail.

12. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    it takes a while to destroy evidence, intimidate witnesses, transfer money to foreign accounts and set up the obligatory post scandel lobbying position.

but compared with their other recent responses, this administration has moved quite swiftly.
    :rolleyes:

13. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I'm not sure I follow you. According to the CNN story:
    Are you saying that Judith Miller hasn't been able to get whatever confirmation that she needed because the White House has been stalling and doing all of the things you allege (destroying evidence, etc.)? Does Robert Bennett (Judith Miller's lawyer) deny Tate's claim that they've had this signed waiver of confidentiality in hand for more than a year now? Or is Robert Bennett claiming that he's been unable to get whatever additional confirmation Judith Miller wanted, because the White House was stalling? I haven't seen any of that reported yet, but would like to read more about it if you have a link.

14. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

I'm saying the explanation isn't plausible. do you honestly think miller went to jail because some phone calls weren't made? every single news source in the u.s. carried the story of her going to jail and what, she, tate, libby and all of their legal advisors just sat back and let it happen? c'mon.

form your cnn link:
    i guess i'm to believe that one of those important changes was Libby learned to use a phone. i'll try to find a link.

:rolleyes:

15. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Well, then, we're agreed on that point.

No, I don't think that Miller went to jail for the lack of a phone call. But I'm more interested in what her legal team has to say about it. I let my previous questions (which you ignored) stand.

16. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

actually, my original post answers question #1( yes)

questions #2, #3 would further try to explain an implausible situation...which i believe is tate's whole point. just keep the media talking about miller's jail term, miller's refusal top accept a release( if such release even exists ) and not about cheney's COS libby.

and marginalize plame's name to a footnote.