Jam Bands

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by jon snow, Oct 26, 2003.

1. macrumors member

Any jam band fans out there?

2. macrumors newbie

right here. what bands do u like?

3. thread starter macrumors member

String Cheese Incident
    Leftover Salmon
    O.A.R.
    Spearhead
    Yonder Mountain String Band
    and others

Probably my top 5 right now

What about you?

4. macrumors newbie

wow i just saw spearhead on saturday and i have really gotten into them this week.
    i also like:
    robert randolph and the family band
    Phish
    Disco Biscuits

I saw OAR because my girlfriend made me go and wow i must say all their songs sound alike, if spearhead was not their i dont know what i would do. I must say i did like that one song called "anyway".

5. thread starter macrumors member

I think o.a.r. sounds same because the singer has a distinctive voice. I haven't seen either. I came across Spearhead when I downloaded their set from Bonnaro this year. What a great set that is and would have been to see live. Last show I saw was Victor Wooten's band. Great show.

I am a Phish fan as well. They are playing 4 nights here in Florida and all sold out.

6. macrumors newbie

yah my friend is going to all four, making the trip from CT. i love bela fleck and the flecktones, if that is what u mean by victor wootens band, or has he started a new band?

7. thread starter macrumors member

It was Victor Wooten's band. Bela Fleck and the Flecktones were here about a year ago. That was another great show. My son and I are going to try and scalp tickets to at least one of the phish shows. I was shocked at how fast they sold out. I tried the lottery first but no luck.

8. macrumors 6502a

Jam Bands

I love jam bands, especially anything live Clapton. I was going to say Robert Johnson and the Family Band, but somebody beat me to it. The live one is simply awesome.

9. thread starter macrumors member

I am going to check out Robert Johnson. Have you heard any Galactic or Greyboy Allstars?

10. macrumors 6502a

Crikes! I meant Robert RANDOLPH

Robert Johnson is great too, but he's classic blues and doesn't play with the family band.

I haven't heard of most of the folks you suggested. Do you have a list going with the best songs from these people?

By the way, the absolute BEST jam album that I have ever come across is "Derek and the Dominos Live At The Fillmore East."

Unfortunately the best three cuts "Why Does Love Have to Be So Sad" and "Got To Get Better In a Little While" and "Let It Rain" are album only. But you can get the idea.

11. thread starter macrumors member

I listen to everything, usually on ipod, so really not pay attention to song names. You can find Galactic on itms. You can stream on nugs.net. Karl Denson is in Greyboy Allstars. I downloaded (legally) some of their music somewhere, maybe Further.

12. macrumors newbie

Upcoming Jam band

If anyone is interested in following a new jam band that has some serious talent. Check out thebrew.biz, they are a young band from Amsbury, Mass. They have awesome talent and their shows are really an experience. I have seen them at all the festivals in Starks, Maine at Harry Brown's Farm. Props to anybody that has also been there. But check them out they are growing slowly, But I think there gonna be big sometime.

13. macrumors newbie

Robert Randolph

I saw them at Bowdoin College in Maine and that was a seriouisly rocking show, But his last name I Randolph.

14. macrumors newbie

Hail Phish as the leaders and promoters of everything now musical haha.

15. macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

what makes a band a "jam band"?

don't all bands jam?

:confused:

16. macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

jam band stuff is great. String Cheese Incident is awesome, but im really a big fan of a much lesser known, underground band called Greyspoke Variety. I found them on purevolume one day (back in the day when i still used that site) and i love them. They had all of their songs available to download and i seized the opportunity. They've since deleted their account on Purevolume I believe but you can download live sets of theirs on archive if you google them.. They don't have the great polished sound but it's that neat amateur sound that is different than other bands mentioned here.

17. macrumors 65816

zach

wow, this thread has been brought back from the dead ::twice::.

that's impressive.

but i like jam bands too... Grateful Dead and Phish certainly spring to mind, as do all their offshoots (Phil Lesh and Friends, etc), and String Cheese Incident and OAR are both great.

that being said, my favorite band of all is Dispatch, which was somewhat jam-band-ish, especially live, but not a true jam band in the real sense of it.

18. macrumors newbie

Greyspoke Variety has a sick new show up at archive
    http://www.archive.org/details/gsv2006-04-13.sbd.flacf
    I highly highly suggest downloading. As Casbah mentioned the don't have the polished sound in most of their recordings, but in this one they sure seem to.

as far as bands go:
    Obviously the well known ones are great... ie.
    Grateful Dead, Allman Bros, Phish, String Cheese

but some that haven't been mentioned yet (Love Robert Randolph) are:
    Dark Star Orchestra, Disco Biscuits (actually may have been mentioned can't remember), North Mississippi Allstars (have played with Robert Randolph quite a few times), The Breakfast, Raq, Medeski Martin and Wood, and Sound Tribe Sector 9

obviously there are those who aren't prototypical Jam Band but rock nonetheless (ie. Clapton):
    Hendrix, Zeppelin, and the likes

anyway, download that Greyspoke show, and you won't listen to anything else for at least a week.

19. macrumors newbie

Never much of a jam band fan, but when I first saw Phish back in the early 90s, I was hooked (no pun intended). I lived in NYC at the time and saw them as they went from playing small clubs, to medium halls, to large venues. By the time I moved away, they were playing Madison Square Garden. Fun to watch a band's rise to the top in person.

20. macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I wasn't sure if there were any phish fans on here or not....

I was also hooked for years, I didn't really listen to anything but Phish for about 8 years.....

Since they broke up, and thanks to the ITMS i've shelved all my Phish for the past year, and gone back to listen to everything I missed..

Anyone go to Big Cypress? Anyone agree with me that that was the greatest thing ever?

Also, anyone gonna check out Mike and Trey with the Duo this Summer?

21. macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Also, just wondering....to the original poster...is your MR screen name related to the George R.R Martin Books?

Jon Snow?

I love those books.

considering you wrote that post 3 years ago...I don't expect a response.
    just curious.

22. macrumors newbie

Wow, just checked out that Greyspoke Variety show linked above... it is sick. Highly recommend, and thank you much ScarletBegonias.

23. macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

What about some of the Les Claypool side projects? c2b3 etc.

24. macrumors 68030

quigleybc

I saw the Flying Frog Brigade in San Fran, and at Bonnaroo a few years back, it was highly entertaining...

25. macrumors 603

zelmo

Ozric. Tentacles.

everyone else is a pretender.