James Gandolfini Dies

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by rdowns, Jun 19, 2013.

1. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Sad. What a great actor.

http://variety.com/2013/more/news/james-gandolfini-dead-of-sudden-stroke-at-51-1200499141/

2. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Wow, sad news. 51 is way too young to die.

3. macrumors 6502a

user418

Wow!!! Really a bummer. Just read about this tragic event myself. Really loved his role in the Sopranos. Great actor.

4. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

The first time I saw him was in the 1995 film "Get Shorty". He had a fairly small supporting role, but I was so impressed with his performance I specifically look to see who he was in the credits.

I never watched "the Sopranos", but did see Gandolfini in a number of films, and he always did a very good job with whatever he was given to do.

Very sad he died at 51...

5. macrumors 68020

smithrh

I highly recommend you rectify this.

Seriously. Especially you - there's probably a lot of material in there that will be quite close to home for you.

6. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

Wait, you mean because I'm a Mafiosi??:eek:

Oh...I get it...:)

I'm not much on TV series. I know "The Sopranos" was the best of the best...maybe I'll give it a look...but I prefer to see him in the many films he made.

7. macrumors 68020

jbachandouris

I have mixed emotions regarding this. I am sad for his family for losing him so young, but I am annoyed at him for not taking care of himself. As the son of a father who died at 56, it angers me when dads refuse to take care of themselves and leave their kids way to young.

I do NOT exercise or take care of myself for me, I do it for my kids. I wish more dads would understand that.

8. macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Way to young! It's never to late to start taking care of yourself and eat right.

9. macrumors G3

Renzatic

Yeah, she overcharges, too. :mad:

10. todd2000, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013

macrumors 68000

Ya know I've never actually seen the Sopranos either, and I'm from NJ. I lived about 10 min from the house where it was shot. I have been to Holsten's, the Ice Cream Parlor where the final scene was shot. They were packed after the news came in, but they "Reserved" the booth where the scene was shot. A nice tribute.

R.I.P. James, I will start watching the Soprano's tomorrow

[​IMG]

http://newjersey.news12.com/news/actor-james-gandolfini-dies-in-italy-at-age-51-1.5524776

11. Contributor

Scepticalscribe

This is very sad news indeed. James Gandolfini was an excellent character actor who dominated whatever scene he was in, and bestowed an extra dimension to whatever role he played.

From a physical point of view, I also have to say that I rather liked the fact that he was not trim and toned, not the clichéd classically handsome, chisel jawed type so often produced by the US film industry - and yes, I liked the fact that he had a lived in face and obviously, the sort of body one could see on one's friends and one's friends dads.....

12. macrumors 68020

smithrh

Think of it as a really long movie then.

I didn't watch it for years, I resisted person after person telling me I should watch. Then I had some spare time a few years ago, started watching and it was simply excellent.

Please do give it a try.

13. macrumors regular

Rip

James Gandolfini Dies
    Sad. What a great actor.

Time to break out the box and watch from beginning to end.

Classic

14. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

Gandolfini was in the Gene Hackman class of non-pretty actors with incredible skills.

15. macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Rip

So sad to see such great actor go so young. Absolutely no one else could have played Tony Soprano like he did. He is the reason I enjoyed the show as much as I did.:(

16. macrumors 601

mscriv

Heard the news on the radio this morning. I enjoyed his acting work. It's sad when anyone dies so prematurely. For those saying he should have taken better care of himself... I agree that being healthy is important, but let's not assume that we know all the details of his life or the direct cause of his heart attack. In other words, "don't judge a book by its cover".

17. macrumors 68000

Happybunny

I got quite a shock when I heard the news.

He will always be Tony Soprano to me.

RIP.

18. Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree completely; a terrific actor, always well worth watching.

This afternoon, I have read a few obits and commentary pieces, and most of these seem to suggest that he was an impressive man, too. However, as I have posted elsewhere, I much prefer good character actors, with an appearance which one can find credible, much more preferable to watch than any amount of bland, characterless, notional perfection.

Very good post.

It is probably the role he is best known for, but he excelled whenever and wherever he was cast.

19. macrumors 68040

obeygiant

[​IMG]

20. macrumors regular

A great loss indeed. Because of him, I became a huge fan of Sopranos, even going so far as picking up some Tony Soprano cigars and joking with my wife that when I wear my wedding ring on my pinky, I became Tony Soprano.

I've seen him in some other films as well. I enjoyed him as the voice of one of the monsters in "Where the Wild Things Are..." and when he played a gay hitman (I think) in a movie with Julia Roberts called "The Mexican".

RIP Big T.

21. macrumors 68030

macs4nw

Not that I have first-hand knowledge of this, but, OUCH!

22. macrumors 6502

mcmul

I always feel that when somebody famous dies, people try and over-step the quality of their work. "They're phenomenal", "the best of their generation" and so on. But for James Gandolfini, it's absolutely true. The Sopranos is, all things considered, my favourite television show. James and Edie's relationship on-screen as the infamous Tony & Carmela, was incredible to watch. His breathing alone would scare the **** out of me.

Truly gutted for his wife, kids and family. So young. So great.

RIP doesn't do him justice. He'll live on forever in my household. HBO just need to release the bloody blu-rays!

RIP James... **** it, Tony!

23. macrumors G3

rhett7660

Ok that is pretty darn cool.

51 is way to young........... RIP Big Guy.

24. macrumors regular

lobeyonekenobi

It took me until the fourth season to bother to watch this due to my wife forcing me but when I did wow, better than any gangsta movie, maybe even The Godfather, from Scene 1 Episode 1 Season 1 to the final scene in the final season mostly because James Gandolfini RIP and Bada Bing.

25. Huntn, Jun 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2013

macrumors G3

Huntn

I second this.

Yes being overweight increases your odds of a heart attack event, however as devil's advocate, I'll mention that keeping yourself in shape does not guarantee your life span either. My next door neighbor is very fit but suffered a heart attack in his mid 40's and then there is Jim Fixx (runner), but for the latter, I believe he was warned of a heart disease condition and ignored it, dieing at 52.