Janauary 31st 2003 WH memo leaked

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by toontra, Feb 2, 2006.

1. toontra macrumors 6502

Channel 4 is reporting the contents of a leaked memo of the 31.1.03 meeting between Bush and Blair.

They both say war will go ahead despite any UN vote to the contrary. Bush suggests flying a US spy plane disguised in UN colours over Iraq, precipitating war.

So, once again, what most of us suspected all along turns out to be the truth.

Edit - link: http://www.channel4.com/news/special-reports/special-reports-storypage.jsp?id=1661

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://www.channel4.com/news/special-reports/special-reports-storypage.jsp?id=1661

Nice touch, painting a U2 in UN colours. "Mr Blair did not respond", indeed! What a bunch of corrupt imbeciles these men are!

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

this painting of the plane thing has me pretty shocked. it seems like an idea some high schoolers would come up with in a brainstorming session but would have been crossed off upon the first review.

and there it was being bandied about by world leaders.

goddamn it i wanna see bush on trial in the hague.

4. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I give up. If they're not gonna impeach him for this, then there's just no hope. A pre-meditated war waged by incompetent, hubris-filled jackasses drunk on their own power.

Where's my pitchfork?

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly, this MF needs to be impeached badly. This is unbelievable.

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I'd be curious to know if he was just talking out of his ass or if this was something given him by the Pentagon. Anyone who could ignore something so basic and so real certainly has no right to the presidency.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

At what point exactly do our bodies politic tip over into condemnation of this skulduggery being practised in their names? They are all accessories after the fact if not before.

Anyway, where the hell is this story in your "liberalmedia"? It's nowhere, that's where it is. Why aren't they doing their bloody jobs?

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Because they are bought and paid for. I have a friend who works for one of the major Chicago papers. Trust me, there is no such thing as the "liberal" media. It's all owned by conservatives.

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

This is like some sort of bad conspiracy movie and it's just getting worse every day. I'd say I was shocked, but at this point, not much shocks me coming from them. They could say this was all some sort of plan to bring about the Apocalypse and I wouldn't be surprised at all. And he'd still have ~30% approval ratings. :rolleyes:

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

It would make the final cut in a Jerry Bruckheimer action film. And then stuff would blow up.

11. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

If someone was looking hard enough, they could probably have him jailed (or worse) as a traitor. But who's going to bring up the charges, let alone convict. Of course, if he really does try to go too far... well, we all know what happened to Caesar.

13. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

[​IMG]

The publicity pictures of politicians gazing adoringly at each other while they present the absolute ******** they have cooked up behind the scenes persistently offends me.

Before Iraq and the whole war on terror, I had a lot more respect for Blair. I really thought that he was doing a good job.

The media has plenty of its own photographers, using pictures released by political PR companies in support of a particular statement being released by those same politicians really brings into question the objectivity of the MSM.

That and the MSMs lack of willingness to investigate the actual claims being made at the time.

The MSM seems to think that running a story like this, long after the events have happened, seems to somehow construe good investigative reporting on their part.

It's not like there were not a lot of people who thought this was happening at the time Bush and Blair were making their case for war, based on information that was available. Where was the media then?

The media is failing the public in too many ways to mention lately.

14. toontra thread starter macrumors 6502

I think "attention fatigue" has set in with the media. Either they are bored with Iraq or they think their readers/viewers will be (the BBC has hardy covered this story - probably also because CH 4 scooped them!).

I think that the bastards who schemed so long and hard for this illegal war factored this into their equations, relying on the fact that after the first couple of years people would be so goddamn bored with continued press coverage (not to mention the press for having to cover it) that interest would wane.

As things stand, the most damning evidence could now emerge and, what would have caused uproar 2 or 3 years ago, would barely bat an eyelid.

15. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Well, this memo isn't enough evidence. He was just brainstorming -- he didn't actually do it. But there's plenty of other evidence, it's just that the Congress is Republican, and they're the ones that have to impeach him.

Besides, if Bush is impeached, the line of succession goes like this: Cheney, Hastert, Condeleeza Rice. I don't think any of those would be any better.

16. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

Can I just say...

I'm fully behind what they have done

.... OK, I'll duck about now

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, this story apparently just broke across the pond, so let's see if the American media pick it up.

You know...............I work in a local cable studio. Someone came in recently with a pre-produced show, a conspiracy/paranoia documentary really, which not only pilloried Bush for his lies about the war, but also made claims about a bigger conspiracy involving John Kerry (via he and Bush's joint membership in Yale's Skull and Bones fraternity), the Trilateral Commission, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Karl Rove and their alleged association to neo-Nazi organizations, and more.

A colleague and I took a look at the show, and while we aired it, we laughed off much of it as being wildly implausible.

But...every time another crazy detail like this spy plane story comes out, it chips away at my disbelief and makes me wonder a little more.

Oh, and wordmunger: I've thought about that myself, but in another thread many of us came to the conclusion that it needs to be done anyway, to serve as a warning to all the neocons that we will not tolerate this bull****.

18. toontra thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the analysis. An informed and well-argued contribution to the forum.

Sure you can say it, but what's the point.

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Can I just ask...

Why? What good has it done?

20. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

Because I wanted to share it. I didn't (and don't) have a lot of time to discuss it with members that are SO OBVIOUSLY against it.

But thanks for the cheesy sarcasm.

I hate Brits (its OK i am one :rolleyes: ) The sarcasm sucks :)

21. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

I've not got a huge amount of time right at the moment but I think the benefits will be seen in years to come, getting Saddam out of power - and using any means necessary is good for (in the immediate future) for the country or Iraq and (in the distance) the rest of the world security.

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Presumably you mean "the country of Iraq". In what sense do you think that by deceiving the people of their own countries in order to launch a disastrously inept war and occupation and by illegally deposing a foreign leader installed by their own countries' earlier geopolitical machinations, and at the same time stirring up a hornets' nest they are ill-equipped to deal with, at the cost of thousands of lives and billions of dollars, George Bush and Tony Blair have done "good"?

23. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

And seeing as how things are going so swimmingly now (the immediate future), I'm sure that's a fantastic indicator that a secular, peaceful, functioning and world-friendly democratic society will sprout up (in the distance). Just like in Palestine.

24. bbyrdhouse macrumors 6502

bbyrdhouse

Hey! If channel 4 said it it haaaas to be true.

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Another positive contribution to the debate.