Jane Barbe, whose voice we all know, has died

Discussion in 'Community' started by Doctor Q, Jul 27, 2003.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Jane Barbe died July 18 at age 74. We all know her voice. She recorded thousands of voice samples for the Bell phone company and voice mail systems, and time and weather services. She's the voice of "I'm sorry, the number you have dialed is no longer in service" and "At the tone, the time will be..." and many others. In the 1980s, her voice was heard over 40 millions times a day! She was a southerner (lived in Georgia) and had learned to hide her regional accent.

According to the obituary I read, Jane said it was "really weird" when, on occasion, she dialed a call and ended up listening to her own voice. One time, she overheard her mother slamming down the receiver and saying "Oh, shut up, Jane!'" after getting a recording.

She may be gone, but we'll still be hearing from her!

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

hmmm, i bet she was kinda screwed over with the contract when she recorded that stuff imagine if she a got a penny everytime one of her sayings played...that would be awesome but I would bet she got a lump sum for those recordings.

3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

wow...how weird...

that voice on the phone is one of those things we've always thought annoying...

heh...

well...here's one to Jane Barbe... ;)

4. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

Imagine the nationwide day of mourning when the "you've got mail" guy passes on.

5. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Have we always thought it annoying? I always found it to be a very soothing and well marketed voice.

6. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Aww, so sad.

Tho for some reason in some area i have this grummpy guy telling me the number is not in service with that loud screeching...

7. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

You never realize how well you know the things that you don't think about or don't think you know at all.

Interesting job if you ask me :).

scem0

8. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

talk about leaving your mark on the world

i saw her on a talk show some years back

9. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I never really stopped to think of the voice on the line.

Does anyone know the name of the "You've Got Mail" person?

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Here's to Jane Barbe, may she rest in peace. That is a women with quite a legacy. Her name may not be remembered, but her voice will be eternal!

11. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Just by coincidence (unless there is a grand audio conspiracy we ought to know about), another person who will be long remembered for an auditory achievement has passed away.

Erik Braunn died of a heart attack at age 52 on July 25. He was lead guitarist on the song "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" (Iron Butterfly, 1968). He was a violin prodigy at age 4 and was with Iron Butterfly for only two years, but it will be a long time before that guitar lick from the first heavy metal hit song is lost to history. Even an episode of the Simpsons used it, when Bart slipped it in as a church hymn!

Our ears will never be the same.

12. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

El Edwards:

http://members.aol.com/voicepro/

13. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

will he go to aohell?