Jane Crow Laws

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by themadchemist, Mar 3, 2004.

1. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

2. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    they are looking so far forward they have gone back in time

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

This argument comes up every few years. There have been studies that have shown that girls learn better with girls and boys with boys. Whether the science is valid, I am not sure. But I am surprised that they didn't add in that they all should wear uniforms. Studies have also shown that this aids in education.

4. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Yep. Girls do a whole lot better in math and science classes when there are no boys. Their scores etc exceed boys by 5% when integrated they lag by 20%. Likewise boys tend to be better behaved without girls present. Setting up 2 segregated schools per district and making attendance by request only a la magnet schools, would be a good thing.

5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Personally I think a better solution is "segregating" within the same school. "Separate but equal" has not worked well in the US. What I would like to see is a study of the private all girl/all boy schools; and how the students faired in their later years. I wonder if it affected their personal relationships later in life.

6. KC9AIC macrumors 6502

KC9AIC

Though I may not score quite as high on tests when I'm distracted by attractive females, I feel it valuable to learn how to relate with them at school. I think the building of social skills is worth it.

7. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

I agree, learning to communicate with the opposite sex is one of the untaught lessons in school.

8. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Im torn about this one because I sometimes worry that our students are turing into dunces, and anything to keep them focused on their studies is a good thing. In some ways and in some states, the US is turning into a bunch of lazy, stupid, rednecks who wouldnt know how to write an error-free sentence or do a simple math problem if their life depended on it. (but they sure know how to use their cell phones!)

But I could not IMAGINE going to school without having girls around. Not only because of relationships, but because of their companionship and friendship. My 'good friends' in high school were probably 60% female.

Maybe Im just a chick magnet. :D

9. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Uniforms are for those who like uniformity. I don't need to look like the person next to me me an inportant right for me.

You spelled turning wrong in the first sentence.

'MrMacMan -- for Public education.'

Look I want real life experience, if you are telling me that their aren't going to be women in my workplace fine then this idea is acceptable. Rather thats not true and so is this idea is bad.

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I can't see any reason to separate girls and boys. What is needed in education is to encourage excellence and merit. We need to produce the best, that is what's needed to make a strong America.

11. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

huh, i have to agree. Children need the extensive social learning that occurs in schools, same-sex environments limit that and can foster a variety of perceptive disorders, including severe sexual anxiety (later in life). It's the same reason i don't like school uniforms, as they limit a child's creativity and later their ability to think freely.

in my opinion, anyway...

i think bush is confused, he thinks opposite genders screw up the educational system, when it's really just him.

paul

12. jennyjennydz macrumors newbie

Alright. As some one old enough to march in the 60s civil rights marches...

Separate can never, by definition, be equal.

Separate public schools for girls/boys or any other distinction is a civil rights nightmare. But certain government elements in any administration never seem to care about that.

13. themadchemist thread starter macrumors 68030

themadchemist

You used 'me' twice in a row and spelled 'important' wrong in the first sentence. You spelled 'their' wrong in the fifth sentence. You did not use an apostrophe with 'that's' in the sixth sentence.

'themadchemist -- for Public *******ness'

There may be some marginal benefits to performance ub this scheme when it is studied in a controlled situation. Full implementation of this, though, would not be a controlled situation and a lot of problems with respect to providing an unequal education could crop up.

Also, I am not quite certain that sex segregation is causal in the above observations. Is it possible that institutional discrimination against women entering the hard sciences causes scores to go up in science and math when girls are in a class by themselves? The overall expectation for the class's performance is reduced because teachers are conditioned to believe female students are less less adroit in these fields, and thus these teachers do not challenge a class of female students as much in science and math. Therefore, grades are higher.

There are a number of variables here but I know one thing: Separate but equal didn't work the first time and it won't work this time.

14. numediaman macrumors 6502a

I think the Bush administration is absolutely right about this. For one thing, girls will be a lot less self-conscious about wearing burkas when the classroom is all male.

For another, should girls really be present when the males are taught about how they will receive X number of virgins in heaven when they die in combat?

No, no, the Bush administration is right on the money. Speaking of money . . . are they going to fund this initiative, or pass it along to the states like the rest of the "Leave No Child Behind" program. Also, any comments yet from those terrorists at the teachers union?

(Alternative comments:
    I thing the Bush fork are like totally write about this. For 1 thing, broads will not mine whereing those funny cloths to cover there faces . . . )

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

hey, be nice! that guy just got here

16. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

The issue with the way students dress at school requires looking at uniforms. Kids killing kids for their jackets, kids not being part of the "in-crowd" due to either financial or family restrictions on what they wear. Worst yet is parents that are too permissive, and allow their child to wear distracting items to school. And thanks to the ACLU, it is far easier to institute uniforms in school, than trying to have a dress code. School is for learning, not a place for the latest in fashion.

I doubt that it really stifles creativity or free thinking. Private schools seem to do well in both departments.

17. JamesDPS macrumors regular

There's actually pretty good reason (at least as shown by various studies) to separate girls and boys. My high school did just that, according to grade level. It's private (and boarding), of course, but the system worked: technically, it is comprised of two schools, a girls' and a boys'. The administrations are separate, as are (obviously) residences and most sports. As a freshman, the only mixed classes were history and any arts. Each year, more classes would become mixed... I think as a sophomore, math and possibly chem. became mixed. As a junior, most of the other subjects became mixed, until as a senior, every class is mixed. I think this system worked EXTREMELY well, especially at the younger ages when hormones are going nuts and kids don't have any experience at dealing with them ;)

Interestingly, there was no uniform, just a dress code (boys had to have shirts tucked in, nothing "inappropriate" such as t-shirts with expletives, etc., girls couldn't dress TOO slutty ;)). Having been to schools employing uniforms, I definitely know the benefits, but I think people did okay with the dress code (maybe since it was a high school where geeks like me weren't shunned because all the kids had the foresight to realize that geeks generally go on to have really cool jobs that they love and make lots of money at! :D)

18. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I think girls learn better with girls and it doesn't matter for boys. I know that girls are more succesful as adults (read get higher paying jobs, more education, etc.) if they come from girl-only families. It doesn't matter for boys.

I personally would have hated being in an all female classroom as a child. As an adult (the few times it has happened) I've loved it!

PIty the teacher who has the all boy classroom. As it is the ones dominated by males are tougher to control. They would have to reduce the class size from 30 to 15 and 20 to 10 to benefit the boys, imo.